Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

modeling the Hajj Terminal, for OEJN

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Re: modeling the Hajj Terminal, for OEJN

Postby hamzaalloush » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:44 pm

yeah the layout needs some work, i need to find time for that, i'm currently undergoing(although in the initial phases), design of the international flight terminal for this airport.
hamzaalloush

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:00 pm

did some fixes yesterday, or at least to my opinion i think they are fixes, made it look better!

i brightened top textures(gave it more contrast), which i think closer resembles reality, also did <ambient-correction> parameter from model-combined-deferred to 0.37, also added a little specular hardness to the columns, they are steel but in reality the paint make it look more concrete.

warning 56k!

old_textures:

new_textures:

new_texture+amb_correction_0.37+shineness_13:

old_lightmap_night:

old_lightmap_day:

new_lightmap_night:

new_lightmap_day:

two more views for the new lightmap:

As you can see the lightmap retains its intensity by day, using sun angle rad does not solve this as it increases by night, an alternative is to override its intensity with the <lightmap-factor> parameter from the model's xml, but that also means its much less spectacular at night, therefore, i'm attempting to negotiate if i can upload my own .eff file for it on scenemodels.

best regards
Hamza

p.s: sorry for the barrage of pictures, yet to upload changes to scenemodels, plus i'm thinking of applying the tension wiring on top of the tents... to do this i'm thinking of creating a covering face as a seperate object and attach a transparent texture to it, while it inheriting model-combined-transparent.eff.
Last edited by hamzaalloush on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamzaalloush

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Photobucket gives you a direct link to the screenshots like

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab26 ... e8xdcm.png

Is there any reason you're using

http://s846.photobucket.com/user/hamzaa ... m.png.html

instead which somehow requires me to click on it before I see anything?

As you can see the lightmap retains its intensity by day, using sun angle rad does not solve this as it increases by night, an alternative is to override its intensity with the <lightmap-factor> parameter from the model's xml, but that also means its much less spectacular at night, therefore, i'm attempting to negotiate if i can upload my own .eff file for it on scenemodels.

Sorry, I guess I don't get the problem - of course you should be using lightmap-factor to configure the effect, that's the idea of using model-combined. Why is that not an option?
Thorsten

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:35 pm

maybe it is the same problem as you had before(with the gsm connection, remember i mentioned 56k warning), because here i can see the images perfectly displayed on the forums, does anyone else not see them?

in photobucket, there are no direct links, but there is a copy-paste field that provides "[img]" tags to clipboard, and this is what i use.

the problem about the lightmap-factor, i could not find a suitable property to pass for <lightmap-factor> to switch between day/light cycles, i searched the forums and it appears i need to create a property and use Nasal as part of solution(to find light and day cycles).
hamzaalloush

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:43 pm

maybe it is the same problem as you had before(with the gsm connection, remember i mentioned 56k warning), because here i can see the images perfectly here displayed on the forums, does anyone also not see them?

It's a html link which you post, it seems not all browsers resolve them automagically. Just use the direct link.

in photobucket, there are no direct links, but there is a copy-paste field that provides "[img]" tags to clipboard, and this is what i use.

Really? When I view your photobucket page, I find a menu:

SHARE THIS PHOTO

Email & IM
Direct
HTML
IMG

And 'Direct' provides the direct link to your screenshot.

the problem about the lightmap-factor, i could not find a suitable property to pass for <lightmap-factor> to switch between day/light cycle

Try

/rendering/scene/diffuse/red

as a measure for the current sunlight intensity - it's a bit crude, but works well.
Thorsten

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:43 pm:Really? When I view your photobucket page, I find a menu:

SHARE THIS PHOTO

Email & IM
Direct
HTML
IMG

And 'Direct' provides the direct link to your screenshot.

well. i used IMG since it less work, ok i will try to remember to do that in the future.

Thorsten wrote in Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:43 pm:Try

/rendering/scene/diffuse/red

as a measure for the current sunlight intensity - it's a bit crude, but works well.

Yup, i'v seen that property when i was looking for a solution, but this value is increasing with sun light, i want something that decreases when the sun comes up. i looked into the Time Settings GUI dialog files, and all i'v seen is a "timeofday" variable, i need something like that, a boolean property.
hamzaalloush

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:03 pm

Yup, i'v seen that property when i was looking for a solution, but this value is increasing with sun light

Oh well, did you consider using (1 - /rendering/scene/diffuse/red) then? That's 1 if there's no light and 0 at noon.
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:56 pm

hamzaalloush wrote in Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:35 pm:...does anyone else not see them?

I only see something looking like when an image link is missing the image and only the link is showing. Clicking the link will get me to the Photobucket page with the image.

On the positive side, the terminal looks even better now. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby gsagostinho » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:59 pm

@hamzaalloush Hamza, would you consider adding the download link to your first post? I just can't seem to find where to download it from :(
gsagostinho

Postby hamzaalloush » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:58 pm

for sure Gilberto, my pleasure... yeah we have some scenemodels trouble as you know, can't wait for it to come back, so i can update the model, here is the download link, which is now posted on the first page as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/a3u7vs59bmevyza/alhajj_terminal.zip

edit: but i think the lightmap still is a work in progress, haven't decided if i should apply it as lights(like in this page) or simply illuminate the lower part slightly, anyway, next step would be to add a top mesh as a separate object, and to attach a transparent texture to it simulating the wires.

edit2: this isn't the last version, which is on my other machine, but it has the same mesh, only different material properties, and ambient correction applied to the xml, different lightmap as well i think, so i will update it.
hamzaalloush

Postby gsagostinho » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:04 am

Thanks, Hamza!

hamzaalloush wrote in Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:58 pm:yeah we have some scenemodels trouble as you know, can't wait for it to come back, so i can update the model

I can't wait either :(
gsagostinho

Postby hamzaalloush » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:53 pm

Just thought it was appropriate on this thread, as Saudi received the new 787 aircraft, it was greeted with the water salute in front of the terminal here in Jeddah.

for other photos visit here, as Saudi as a national airliner enjoyed an aerobatic team advertisement: https://twitter.com/hashtag/%D8%A7%D9%87%D9%84%D8%A7_%D8%AF%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%85%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%8A%D9%86%D8%B1?f=images&vertical=default&src=hash
hamzaalloush

Postby pommesschranke » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:08 am

Hello Hamza,

I looked at the models that you uploaded.
They look very nice.

Some suggestions to reduce the number of faces & filesize.
Each pillar has 3 x 32 faces. I think with just 8 faces and smooth shading it will look the same.
did you try that ?

You have 3 x 32 faces instead of 32 because you extruded the horizontal bars, right ?
No need to extrude here. just put a box between 2 pillars.
Even if you decide to extrude, then just subdivde 2 or 3 edges instead of loop cut the hole thing.

(edit mode) select all faces (a) Tools->Remove:"limited dissolve"
reduced faces from 5484 to 1744 (max angle=5°) or even to 861 (max angle=17°) on the columns.
That would reduce the vertex count and also the amount of uv coordinates.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby hamzaalloush » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi pommesschranke,

welcome and as a matter of fact it does introduce more faces when i loop cut, so you're right!

i remember i did that because i wanted control over where the horizontal boxes should be, so at that time, loop cutting allowed me to quickly input an arbitrary height along the column, so that did it,

and i can probably reduce the number of base vertices yes, i remember fixated on that 32 number as a minimum because smooth shading didn't work due to the ac3d exporter, and i was oblivious to the fact of auto-smooth, so i didn't make use of it at that point, remember i worked the column a long time ago when i was a beginner, and started to work the tents :)

glad to know that you liked it, it might be worth it to do a quick "limited dissolve" and benchmark the frame rate to see what I'm leaving to the table.

Thanks!
hamzaalloush

Postby hamzaalloush » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:33 pm

this thing has dragged on... i'm not sure i'll complete this one, so i share some pics, maybe someone will enjoy :)

this is the north international terminal of same airport of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia,

1. Creating basic building block, with real walls, window grid and surface cut doors.

2. assigning texture per material (glass, door, steel, etc) and baking them into different UV to apply on low poly.

3. different texture like AO, shadow and hires mixed for effect!

4. final result.

5. lightmap.

6. close up.

and finally, reality...

http://www.ukairfields.org.uk/uploads/7/0/8/5/7085670/20040119-jeddah-37-002_orig.jpg

http://www.ukairfields.org.uk/uploads/7/0/8/5/7085670/20040119-jeddah-35-002_orig.jpg

if i want to complete it, i'll need to do the sides high poly and then bake them, and doing the stairs and bus driveway is optional, but until now this is nothing but a modeling exercise, anyway enjoy!
hamzaalloush

PreviousNext

Return to Scenery