Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Vote for FlightGear as "SourceForge Project of the Month"

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Vote for FlightGear as "SourceForge Project of the Month

Postby Johan G » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Yep, indeed. :o It kind of gives me the impression that FlightGear is the only community in SourceForge with passionate members. :) Which is kind or weird in a way.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:30 pm

yeah... i dunno, though... another project i work on was also a SF recognized project... in fact, both FGFS and the other project were listed at the same time and i think twice in a row... not sure about that, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Bomber » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:58 pm

“FlightGear is developed by a worldwide group of volunteers, brought together by a shared ambition to create the most realistic flight simulator possible that is free to use, modify and distribute. “

I think that misleading as I have it from a core developer that FG isn't creating the best...

Also passionate members get banned from FG
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Since you seem to have problems parsing the sentence, let me highlight this for you:

to create the most realistic flight simulator possible that is free to use, modify and distribute.

So no, it's not misleading if you can read all the way to the end :-)

Also passionate members get banned from FG

You can't get banned from FG - you can however get banned from the forum for abusing it in various ways.
Thorsten

Postby clrCoda » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:51 pm

No one can be banned from FlightGear. Free to download. Free to use. Free to develop and even free to send patches, even if one is not allowed to participate in this forum.

( yes splitting hairs to demonstrate the problems of communication and especially communication thru text across languages and education )

Passion:
One is never banned from the forum for passion alone. It is one thing to be passionate. Clearly another to loose ones control of their ability to edit their opinions in such a way as to communicate their passion without making the entire project appear as if it were copied from a stall in a high school men's room lavatory.

Passion does not equate with lowering the bar of polite discourse.

People not allowed to continue to communicate thru the FlightGear Forum often do continue to develop their own FlightGear associated works and communicate through other means quite successfully.

Because FlightGear is a project worthy of intense passion, it is often necessary to maintain the progress of the community by making certain that the forum does not become a place that degenerates into complete dysfunction.

I was saddened to see some members accounts terminated as of late. But I don't blame the forum. I don't blame FlightGear. I don't blame the moderators and the ( for want of a more accurate term ) "core developers."

I don't blame passion.

Passion for my family runs much deeper than for FlightGear. Had I ever used some of the things I've read here in the forum in conversations with family members simply to try to win a point of view against those points brought up by my family members I would certainly have been asked to leave at least the room. And had I done so in a public setting, I would not be surprised had the authorities been asked to engage.

This is a public setting. Public voices apply.

The banning of individuals incapable of communicating their point of view without respect of another's point of view is in my humble opinion something that would be necessary in any project worthy of consideration for any award, large or small.

--Ray
@bomber, Let me be clear: this was inspired by you and not a personal attack against you or your personal opinion of passion or FlightGear :)
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Bomber » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:39 pm

If this was always a crime here then Thorsten would have been banned well before now

"The banning of individuals incapable of communicating their point of view without respect of another's point of view is in my humble opinion something that would be necessary in any project worthy of consideration for any award, large or small. "

Can't you see the bias or do you simply refuse to acknowledge it's existence
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Müller » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Please gentlemen, this topic is to vote on the project Month :)
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Michat » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:20 am

Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Bomber » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Müller wrote in Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:05 pm:Please gentlemen, this topic is to vote on the project Month :)

Yes it is.... but I'm thinking you could have said something after the second post... or even the third

"I'd just like to ask that the FGMEMBERS problem not be mentioned; i.e. it reflects badly on us as a whole.
Assuming we win :)"

Or was there a level of sniggering going on.... History afterall is written by the victors.

Simon

Oh and do we not think that the attitude shown in those first few posts also reflects badly on us ?
Bomber

Postby Müller » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Michat, thanks for having voted.

Hi Bomber,

I speak and understand very little English language, but I would say something about conflicts, only one sentence.

" The History is written by the victors, but let us not forget that we have great losses on both sides in a conflict of this kind".

Best regards
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Previous

Return to The FlightGear project