Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby japreja » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 pm

wlbragg wrote in Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:26 pm:Most if not all the objects in the shuttle_o2.blend are mapped to 2 materials (or at least there are two materials in the material list for the one object). Any idea why that is, is it actually using both those materials?

Also regarding the png texture file spstob_1.png, it appears to be aliased as spstob_1.png.001 and that can be used as the material and loaded as the png file to use for uv-unwrap. But the original material and uv-unwrap file of spstob_1.png will not work, they are black. Any idea what is going on here?

I would guess the 2 material are 1 for Atlantis and 1 for Discovery, the textures look exactly the same except for the names but I noticed some parts in one model use both texture png files. We should convert it to use only the one and apply the other like a paint kit. As for the alias, in blender its just a name, if there are both spstob_1.png and spstob_1.png.001 names you could probably name them Atlantis or Discovery (depending on the shuttle). That's just my guess, I haven't looked at all the .ac files yet. I don't think it will have any ill effect in FlightGear.

It would make sense to fix this because both textures will be loaded into memory.

I also noticed on the two main landing gear doors that some very thin and long faces have flipped normals, In edit mode just select all faces and "Recalculate Normals" in the tools menu. If you manually add faces, select vertices in a counter clockwise order and it should make the normals point towards you. Counter clockwise will point away. If you write python scripts for blender its good to know.

@Richard
Thanks for the link to the exporter. I will grab Blender 2.71 and stick with it for the work on the shuttle. (I recently reinstalled my system and just grabbed the newest blender).
The connection is a lot simpler than it appears, except the rotations which need the rotation centre coordinates to be located first.

I've been interested in making a video on how to do this in like 15 seconds for each switch but if you've seen my previous videos the audio sucks, I need a higher quality mic or it just sounds like giberish. Screenshots just don't capture everything.
japreja

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:58 pm:
Are we planning to calculate the TEAM transition point or is it just going to be only for valid airports (which is fine as long as we've got all of the possibles covered).

I'm not quite sure what point you mean.
In other matters, I've tried to address a few rendering inconsistencies
There's one thing I don't understand - I can't render the gear doors with the high quality effect, they show quite the wrong lighting

I meant the point that is coded into the Nasal lookup based on the airport.

I'm trying to avoid getting distracted by texturing the outside; what we have isn't actually that good and it could do with being redone, but unfortunately available photos (that I've found so far) are a bit limited. I tend to think that mixing textured and untextured surfaces isn't a good idea.

The doors appear to be using two-sided surfaces; and I see some z-buffer fighting in ac3d which I'm guessing might be related.

I've made some good progress on the texturing this week, but there's so much more to do - the flightdeck is huge...
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:24 pm

japreja wrote in Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:02 pm:...if you've seen my previous videos the audio sucks, I need a higher quality mic or it just sounds like giberish.

I am not sure, but maybe the Audacity noise removal tip in the video in this post can be of help?
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby japreja » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:47 pm

@Johan G
I've tried that, as per your recommendations, and it works great for static removal, but my audio also fades in and out like the recording volume is turned up and down every second or two, it might be because of a bad capacitor on my motherboards mic in circuit. I'll be putting a Dynamic mic on it once I get an adapter for the 1/4 inch jack to 2.5mm. I think that will solve the problem or blow the mic circuit :P
japreja

Postby wlbragg » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:05 pm

Just a quick note: I didn't have time to check the appropriateness of using the texture I did for the gear wells (I didn't fly it an look at it). Hopefully it is sufficient for now.

Richard, if I remember correctly I previously added thickness to the gear doors. Prior to that they were one plane, double sided. I was a complete blender amateur at the time (as opposed to now being a complete novice) and need to go back and clean it up. But I think the immediate problem Thorsten was having was that the exterior textures got lost. It has happened before, not to say there aren't the other problems you mentioned.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:28 am

This is what it looks like currently.

I'll commit the changes for this shortly.

* Replaced fwd-cockpit-text-map.png with fwd-cockpit-text-map-x.png. The name is a bit misleading as at the time I was going to have separate textures for x,y,z - but after getting this far I don't think I'll need it.
* Switches / Knobs on L1 are separate, as are all the MEDS buttons and a few other controls. I haven't renamed all of the MEDS buttons (only the first two on the cdr side).
* The texturing approach I've taken is to have the labels for each panel laid out panel sized, the rest of the (switches etc) use common textures, these are supposed to be located at the bottom right section. Some of the panel controls are in the right place on the panel; if it makes sense to do it like this. When it's time to make lights come on and landing gear indicators animate parts of these will need to be moved (as yet I've not found a way to make things light up properly without having on and off as separate items in the texture).

I'm now going to concentrate on the PFD and HUD - and won't change cockpit model for a while - so if anyone else wants to make changes please do.
Richard

Postby japreja » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

It looking sweet. I just tried to do a pull and I get the following

Updating b86745b..fb2f595
error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by merge:
Models/Artwork/tranbg.png
Please move or remove them before you can merge.
Aborting

I don't know enough about git to know what this means.
japreja

Postby wlbragg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:47 am

japreja wrote in Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am:
error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by merge:
Aborting

I think it's telling you that you have files that you changed that haven't been committed to you local branch and you can't merge the pull from development branch until you commit the local changed files.

Yes that does look sweet! Really nice.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:09 am

japreja wrote in Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am:It looking sweet. I just tried to do a pull and I get the following

Aborting

It's git-speak for "there is already a file called tranbg.png in this directory, please remove it so I can pull in the one from the repository"...
Richard

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:35 am

Pretty!!!
Thorsten

Postby abassign » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Amazing, I hope soon that the work is finished, it is becoming a superb job! In the future it would be interesting Apollo mission ... through the experience gained with this project and some similarities, perhaps it would be possible to redo the lunar mission. I also remember that the Apollo capsule, made some rebounds, while crossing the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds, because he had a sufficient aerodynamic lift.
In 2017 it is 50 years from the beginning of that incredible moment: Apollo 7 Oct. 11–22, 1968 :)
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:51 pm

But I think the immediate problem Thorsten was having was that the exterior textures got lost. It has happened before, not to say there aren't the other problems you mentioned.

Take the shuttle to orbit at noon, and then assign space-combined.eff rather than space.eff to the gear doors - you'll spot the problem in a second. The rest of the hear shield is dark, but for some weird reason the gear doors appear in bright light. Doesn't seem to happen with the base variant of the effect.

I also remember that the Apollo capsule, made some rebounds, while crossing the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds, because he had a sufficient aerodynamic lift.

From the top of my head, I seem to remember that the Apollo had a ~200 km (or miles??) cross-range capability due to its shape, and it could be sort of controlled by trim.

If you enter shallow enough, you can make it bounce off the atmosphere as well (just like the Shuttle), but that has almost certainly never been done in practice because it makes for a poorly controlled trajectory.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Houston, I suspect we lost the rear and upper windows...
Thorsten

Postby japreja » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Now that I am using the same version of Blender and the exporter I've had no problems, yet, testing my work by reloading the shuttle from the debug menu :D

I see the problem with the aft windows too. I'll try to see what is up with that. I also fixed the OMSPods and the dark grey color is applied to the tiles like so, see image, is this OK or should I leave it as it is currently in git, with just the jets black?

japreja

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:55 pm:Houston, I suspect we lost the rear and upper windows...

"Atlantis this is Houston, we are also seeing low indications on the forwards window glass quantity, can you confirm you are experiencing a higher than average wind flow in the cockpit area; over".

It looks like I've managed to a vast quantity of the glass somewhere along the way
Richard

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight