Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Just installed FG 3.0

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Just installed FG 3.0

Postby openflight » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:30 am

Just installed FG 3

EDIT Thanks for all the hard work and development !

After much encouragement from this site, finally installed FG 3.0, the default version for the Ubuntu version I have. This is the 'native' version, took about 1 hour to download and install, with no problems. There was no launcher though, but I plan to fix this by using my very own FGWalk version.

Flight Gear Version 3 is much improved over the older versions I was using, and I am still using. For one, the shading on the aircraft, with its metal shine is very realistic. The flight model also seems to be more true to life, I tried out the Moyes Dragonfly. The airport is very detailled, and so is the scenery with its many trees. I had some hesitation in flight, but the program ran very smoothly. The flight recorder is very much better, with on screen controls. Pressing TAB to switch modes is helpful, but I can't help wondering if this was a work-around because previously version 2.4 used to get stuck when switching modes.

On starting up, though, it warns me that I have "intel integrated graphics detected" which seems to be frowned upon by the software.

I know that I was not able to appreciate all the hard work done with FG when I was using the older versions so its' my turn to say thanks a lot for all the great work.

Can't wait to download and fly the Dornier DO 228 featured in Dangerous Flights 8)

1998 Dornier 228 - Dangerous Flights
www.dangerousflights.ca/aircraftspecifi ... rcraft=4...
1998 Dornier 228. Type: Twin Turboprop STOL Utility Aircraft. Manufacturer: RUAG Aerospace Services GmbH (formely Dornier GmbH). Produced: 1981-1998.
openflight

Version: 1 2 2018

Re: Just installed FG 3.0

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:46 pm

wait until you see FG 3.6 which is almost out of the gate ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 pm

For some strange reason or other (old hardware?)
He used REALLY OLD versions.
Like 0.9.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MIG29pilot » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Hey, they get better framerate
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby openflight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:46 am

The older versions were smaller downloads, started up faster on older software, had shadows and ran very smoothly 0.98 and 0.910.

That was the reason. I remember running on version on 486 laptop where I would run it in a small window and fly the aircraft over the sea so it would load without crashing and getting stuck.

Come a long way.

The slider to set level of detai works well, I slide it to level 5 detail and everything slows down to a standstill.

By the way how do you see the framerate on 3.0? You can throttle the frame rate but I don't see any way to display it.
openflight

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 am

openflight wrote in Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:46 am:By the way how do you see the framerate on 3.0? You can throttle the frame rate but I don't see any way to display it.

the best way is to hit F10 to bring up the menu bar (if it isn't already up)... then click on "Debug" and down near the bottom click on "Cycle On-screen Statistics"... then hit F10 to turn off the menu bar and you'll see the frame rate in the very top left corner...

the other way is in the F10 menu bar, click on "View" and then "View Options"... the top right hand two options, "Frame Rate" and "Frame Spacing"... they will be in the bottom two corners...

these last two supposedly eat a lot of CPU but i don't see any difference on my system with its poor little NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3]... both counters are telling me that my frames are 4.3x while sitting on the runway at KJFK in the middle of the night at 0300 local time... with my 1600x1200 resolution and running full screen, that's about 230ms per frame... but then i've also got 8-core 4Ghz pushing everything at it so maybe that makes up for something ;)

give it/them a try and see what you get... knowing your video card would also be a plus...

note to self: look and see if there's a listing chart of video cards and frame rates around here somewhere...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Johan G » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Psst:
wkitty42 wrote in Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:08 am:note to self: look and see if there's a listing chart of video cards and frame rates around here somewhere...

Not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe close enough: Laptops known to run FlightGear (perm) :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:01 am

thanks for that... it might help but i'm more interested in "real machines" (aka desktop power houses and race horses)...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby openflight » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:41 am

I have been dowloading and testing different aircraft on FG 3.0 mainly civillian prop singles and twins, and it's been very rewarding. The centre of the flight sim is the aircraft, and there are so many detailled, entertaining aircraft out there, well modelled inside and out, as well as with realistic flight characteristics it seems.
openflight

Return to The FlightGear project