Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Dead Simple Human Powered Aircraft model v1.0  Topic is solved

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Dead Simple Human Powered Aircraft model v1.0

Postby ggg » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:23 am

Gijs wrote in Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:21 pm:So, to get your aircraft in the official repository, setup an account at SourceForge, ask Clément (http://sourceforge.net/u/f-jjth/profile/) for access and then push your aircraft to the repository. If you are uncomfortable with using SVN, you may just post a release version of your aircraft here and ask one of the other developers to commit your work.

Thanks Gijs! That's exactly what I needed to know.

I would be thrilled if any other developer could commit the v1 Dash model that I posted with the first message - that eliminates one more opportunity for me to screw things up. :) And it would allow other developers for contribute/update "suboptimal" parts of the model - e.g. better splash screen for the model would be cool.

FYA, I just recovered my Sourceforge account ("grundler") that I opened in 2000! :)
"Joined: 2000-04-17 04:38:00"

To remind, Marshall Gusman is the original author. I'll point him at this posting in case he would prefer to maintain this himself.

thanks!
grant
ggg

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am

Dear Grant

I am sorry, and a bit surprised of the negative response that Clement gave to your model and project inclusion (as seen in the 3rd ticket of the SVN FG-addon aircraft distribution).
I share the view that this is a project in development.
I do not share the view that therefore, this project cannot be yet incorporated into FG main repositories, and hopefully you can continue developing it.

I do agree with you that this model is unique enough to FG to have a lower bar of inclusion. Furthermore, I do not know for sure where such "bar for inclusion" stands. Most importantly setting up a model where you and others can collaborate in improvements is important.

Currently due to the fact of the migration of the FG aircrafts into SVN, I created a GIT distribution for such projects, with the aim to increase a major cooperativity, and ease the transactions of progress. I followed up your request, and I did include your model into the GITs of FG Aircraft, and I plan to add a submodule to include it in the FGDATA fork I am creating for this purpose.

First off, I will appreciate your writing me (email, PM, or post below suffices) to verify you are in agreement with my decision of including your aircraft, as you requested previously
Secondly, that you agree with including a GPLv3.0 License to the model. This A license GPL2 or later, is a requirement for all inclusions in FG!
Thirdly, I wanted to point you to the repository of your plane, and request if possible you provide me with a github account of yourself, so I can give you full authorship permissions on this aircraft, and thus easing our following your progress in this model.

Best
IHCOL
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/dash
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby Johan G » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:21 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am:Secondly, that you agree with including a GPLv3.0 License to the model. This is a requirement for all inclusions in FG!

Technically, that would be GPLv2. :wink:

Unfortunately a lot of contributors does not have stated that their contributions can be redistributed as "GPLv2 or later" (if they explicitly stated a license at all), meaning that FlightGear is very unlikely to ever become GPLv3. :|
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby ggg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am

IAHM-COL wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am:Currently due to the fact of the migration of the FG aircrafts into SVN, I created a GIT distribution for such projects, with the aim to increase a major cooperativity, and ease the transactions of progress. I followed up your request, and I did include your model into the GITs of FG Aircraft, and I plan to add a submodule to include it in the FGDATA fork I am creating for this purpose.

First off, I will appreciate your writing me (email, PM, or post below suffices) to verify you are in agreement with my decision of including your aircraft, as you requested previously

Hi IHCOL!,
First off: thanks for your support and I am ok with anything that you want to do that enables others to contribute to the development of this (or any other) human powered aircraft model.

IAHM-COL wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am:Secondly, that you agree with including a GPLv3.0 License to the model. This A license GPL2 or later, is a requirement for all inclusions in FG!

Apologies for not including any comment on the license under which this can be distributed. I should know better.

First, Marshall Gusman is the original author and is willing to continue contributing to FG models (I am too - but I'm not the original copyright holder/author as implied in initial git commit.)

Second, Marshall started with the ASL SLE_21b files to generate the dash model. Therefore, I expect the dash model will be subject to the same license that ASK 13 glider model is distributed with:
<!-- Schleicher ASK 13 Glider -->
<!-- Copyright 2010 Patrice Poly -->

My personal preference would be GPLV2 - only because I understand it better (been working on linux kernel for past 15 years...long story). But it's not my choice. If there is a choice, it would be Marshall Gusman's choice and I'll send him an email so he can speak up here or just tell me.

IAHM-COL wrote in Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am:Thirdly, I wanted to point you to the repository of your plane, and request if possible you provide me with a github account of yourself, so I can give you full authorship permissions on this aircraft, and thus easing our following your progress in this model.

Best
IHCOL
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/dash
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS

I don't currently have a github account and my two two favorite logins are already taken. :( But I think Marshall should be owner of this if he's willing too. I'll poke him and see if he's interested (I expect he will be).

THANKS AGAIN! :) I definitely appreciate the support to get this in some shared space where it can be developed by people who know these systems better than I do.

cheers,
grant
ggg

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:24 am

Hi Grant
Thanks for your response
We can definitely acknowledge Marshall Gusman's duely, with an ammend to the git.
We will need him to let us know he is in GPL2 agreement (as Johan pointed us before that shall be ok). The Git repo is already set, and when you, Marshall or both let me know your github accounts, I can give you complete access to its administration.
I had not yet included the submodule in the FGDATA repository we are preparing since it is still in testing stages, and we need to verify the license of the dash plane will be in accordance.
But as soon as I am able, I am updating the FGDATA to have the dash submodule ready.

Any person now can go ahead and clone and branch the dash now, and make any modification they deem interesting, and I will be happy to see what kind of pull requests the planes get (or even test-fly it etc)....
The FG community is large, but there are many fronts of development, so I would not necessarily expect a lot of people getting to work with the dash very promptly... but with days/months, planes may start to build some curiosity.

Best of luck with this project. It looks really cool to me ;)

IHCOL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:52 pm

DaSH is now included in fgaddon.

It needs some work.

The original author Marshall Gusman and myself invite anyone interested to help bring this unique aircraft to life.

The FDM appears to be is in good shape.

The items I think should have priority are modeling, texturing, effects and some system upgrades and/or additions.

Thanks to dev group for allowing it to be a part of fgaddon.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:49 am

Here is my first contribution to the DaSH model. Don't look too close, my inexperience in modeling will be obvious.

wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:17 am

Elevator is finished.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Rudder, I'll push it later tonight.

wlbragg

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:39 am

Inexperience? Wil, you look like you've had some balsa and film model airplane building experience, and you've done a fine job of modeling the wings and stabilator. Looks great.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby wlbragg » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:57 am

Thank you LesterBoffo.

Now it's starting to look like a real craft. Soon I can start on some coding and add some effects, animations and systems.

Pushing these additions now.
wlbragg

Postby bugman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:36 am

The DaSH aircraft in FGAddon is now looking very impressive! I guess the real DaSH PA v5 or v6 hasn't flown yet (https://www.youtube.com/user/alecproudfoot). I wonder if a UIUC port of the JSBSim FDM in the future, once the JSBSim model is improved, would be able to model the stalls and upsets better, as I can imagine that such an aircraft would be particularly prone to this (for those who don't know, the UIUC FDM has been especially designed by Prof. Michael Selig for modelling these effects).

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Johan G » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:09 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:39 am:Inexperience? Wil, you look like you've had some balsa and film model airplane building experience, and you've done a fine job of modeling the wings and stabilator. Looks great.

I could hardly agree more. :D

It would be really interesting to see someone set up a tachometer and some flight controls on a spinning cycle. It would probably make for a lot more fun than staring on a wall or out a window... ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:03 am

You mean set up a exercise stationary cycle to something that reads power input and have it run the 'throttle'? 'Huff puff!' I think I'd probably run out of steam before generating enough power to get it off the ground. My being in awesome cycling shape passed years ago.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby wlbragg » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:27 am

LesterBoffo wrote in Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:03 am:You mean set up a exercise stationary cycle to something that reads power input and have it run the 'throttle'? 'Huff puff!' I think I'd probably run out of steam before generating enough power to get it off the ground. My being in awesome cycling shape passed years ago.

Oh my, what a great idea. That would be a really fun thing to do and see.

I am certain Marshall would agree, talk about the ultimate training simulator.

By the way, I went back through all the textured objects in the blend file and fixed the lighting on the textures. They were not what I wanted and I finally figured out how they effect the models texture appearance. They now look more consistent and much better.
wlbragg

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft