Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

no runway lighting in 3.4  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

no runway lighting in 3.4

Postby dilbert » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:18 pm

FlightGear 3.4 running on Windows 7; AMD A4-3420 APU with Radeon Graphics 2.8 gigaherz; 4 gb ram flying F14 at night

There are no airport runway lights. What turns them on? Also no street lights. Other terrain lights very sparse.

This problem does not exist in 3.2.2 running on Windows 8.

Note the same problem running 3.4.0 on Windows 8 on a machine with AMD A4-5000 APU and Radeon TM graphics at 1.5 GHZ and with 4GB ram.
Last edited by dilbert on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: no runway lighting in 3.4

Postby clrCoda » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Check to see if you have in your rendering options the point sprites turned on. Currently a bug means that point sprites doesn't work for some people ( me on windows too ) and therefore shutting off the feature means giant balloon lights but it's better than the nothing that happens with pointsprites turned on. I miss this feature working. :)

Hope that was the problem and if not... :)
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:10 am

I think they're genuinely gone in 3.4 - a side effect of a last minute memory saving patch which wasn't caught in time. Use the 3.6 release candidate available now.
Thorsten

Postby dilbert » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks Ray and Thorsten for your suggestions. Think I'll wait and download 3.6 as soon as it's officially released, rather than trying to reconfigure 3.4.
dilbert

Postby dilbert » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 am

Down loaded and ran the trial version of 3.6. No runway or other lights, except for the few scattered ones, as in 3.4.

The go-to-airport and carrier selection feature are, as yet, not working in the trial version. Flew out to the Nimitz and made three traps.

The TACAN initially had NMs, a vertical line on the Horizon, and a VOR like display on the RMI. Eventually lost all but NMs. However, now think this happened because I failed to reset the Nav radio selector switch to T/R after deleting the AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org file, so as to return to initial start-up condition.

Uninstalled and reinstalled, getting back the full Nav display.

Unfortunately, the re-installation confirmed there was no runway and few terrain lights right out of the box.

Assume start-up menu is still in development. Will there be a frame limiter somewhere in the final version of 3.6?
dilbert

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:25 am

@dilbert,
for some reason, when ALS is on, point sprites must be off to see runway lights. Check that is not your issue.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby clrCoda » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:46 pm

You can limit frame rate in at least two places in 3.6.

In the running simulator under menu>view>rendering there is a slider.

In the autosave_3_6.xml there is the tag <frame-rate-throttle-hz> that you can numerically.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby dilbert » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks both Ray and circoda for the very helpful info.

Have successfully installed 3.2.0, 3.4.0, and 3.6 on this one machine. Quit in my downloaded F16 when switching
between 3.2.0 and 3.4.0 to avoid a Fogrun problem with the f14s. Switching to 3.6.0 isn't a problem as it goes to it's own f14 default, and when switching
back to 3.2.0 or 3.4.0 I'm back in the f16.
Note that runway lights look like balloons in 3.2.0, as Ray described them, so would like to turn point sprites off in both 3.4 and 3.6, but don't know
how. Found ALS in View Rendering Options and tried it on and off at night, but got no lights. Is there another way to turn them off?

Like the 3.6.0 view menu, but haven't as yet located the frame rate slider. It does exist in 3.4.
Last edited by dilbert on Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dilbert

Postby Thorsten » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:52 pm

for some reason, when ALS is on, point sprites must be off to see runway lights.

Actually not, but I give up, the whole light issue is so muddled...
Thorsten

Postby Lydiot » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:59 pm

I agree with Thorsten. With ALS AND point sprites on I see runway lights on my machine. (AMD CPU + NVIDIA) Only thing I notice is somewhat different behavior depending on exact time of day (I guess amount of sunlight) and if there are any clouds. But If I remember correctly Thorsten indicated that something that is amiss with clouds and runway lights would be (have been?) fixed in versions later than 3.4.

Thorsten wrote in Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:52 pm:
for some reason, when ALS is on, point sprites must be off to see runway lights.

Actually not, but I give up, the whole light issue is so muddled...
Lydiot

Postby dilbert » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Are "point sprites" the "dust particles" in View/Rendering options? If so, I tried every on/off combination of them and ALS without getting any lights.

Still can't find any frame rate limiter slider under View in this particular pre-release version, though it may have been added in a closer to release version.

Abandoned my three versions on one machine. Something went haywire in 3.6.0 after I tried the "go-to-airport" feature. The Brake Release command changed, Gear up and down quit working, Hook wouldn't extend; but strangest of all, two big aluminum tubes would come 20 feet out of the nozzles when you hit afterburner; and then the Cybourg stick I was using quit and wouldn't reset or refresh. Removed everything and re-installed 3.6.0. Still had to replace the Cybourg with a spare Logitech to get things going again. Now back to normal and everything works fine but the lights. Will lick my wounds and let the gurus figure it out. Otherwise really like what I see in 3.6.0 and look forward to when it's ready.
dilbert

Postby dilbert » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Have red face and lights. Found and turned off 3.6.0 "sprites" several items down the left column of View/ Rendering Options and turned them off. Got lights
similar to 3.2.0 whether ALS was on or off.

Checked 3.4.0. Every time you night fly, go to View/Rendering options and un "x" the "point sprites" box.
You will get lights regardless of whether the ALS box is clicked on or off. If you restart, it will revert to "x" as a default, so you will have
to re-click it to get the lights back on.
dilbert

Postby clrCoda » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:37 am

The autosave feature should save the state of the Point Sprites on off box. Maybe try opening autosave_3_6.xml and see if setting the <point-sprites> tag to false relieves you of having to always switch it off in the menu of the running simulator. I can't imagine why this wouldn't be automatically saved and remembered with each sim run.

Best to you
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:21 am

You usually must exit with the ESC key, not by hitting the X as you would close eg internet explorer.
Then it will save your settings
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby clrCoda » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:45 am

I said I couldn't imagine and legoboyvdlb has said the correct thing to remind me. That's true. For autosave to work we have to use the proper shut down sequence as Lego mentioned.

I have put the hint out that maybe we could consider a menu option under FILE that does just the autosave portion of the shutdown so that we can force save an autosave_X_X.xml file after making a change in the sim, just in case the sim crash later for an unrelated issue and then doesn't do the autosave because it didn't close properly, therefore didn't save all the changes one might make to the sim, meaning we have to make those changes a second or more times.

I have not yet followed up to see if that idea was even discussed with the other devs other than the one dev I mentioned it to, so I'll get an email out and inquire. Or maybe he reads this list and will respond here.

The idea could solve the problem of the window-close-x-button not running autosave before ending the sim, but it would depend on users using the suggested additional autosave menu button before hitting the X or better right after making a change that one considers permanent or at least saved for the next sim run.

Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Next

Return to Graphics