Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby japreja » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Here is video of what is happening, I am a bit further past the beginning of the runway but still the same happens. FG-3.7-full (Yesterdays Nightly) and a SpaceShuttle pull from 3 days ago.

As you can see it is still about 10 ft above ground, I rotated the camera around to visualize it better. I'll try again using just the binary nightly and fgdata if that will make a difference?

japreja

Postby Thorsten » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Okay, I know what the problem is - for some reason, gear_up() isn't executed upon startup any more, and as a result one of the SRB contact points on which the Shuttle stands ready for launch hits the runway.

I don't know yet why this happened.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:37 am

Found it, should be fixed now.
Thorsten

Postby japreja » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Much better :) I also noticed prior to the fix that arming the landing gear was deploying it immediately after pressing "Ctrl-g", that is also fixed.
japreja

Postby japreja » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Animations were not as hard as I anticipated.

@Thorsten
Could you add these files to the Models sub-folder and add the following code to SpaceShuttle.xml in the same folder when you get a chance? I'll need to pullout the rest when we have various seat positions for the Pilot and aft controls but will work on it over the next few days. I am still not sure if they all move in unison or only based on some computer setting.

Code: Select all
  <!-- ******************************************************************* -->
  <!-- Cockpit Commander Joystick                                          -->
  <!-- ******************************************************************* -->
  <model>
    <path>cockpit-joysticks-cmdr.xml</path>
    <offset>
      <x-m> 0 </x-m>
      <y-m> 0 </y-m>
      <z-m> 0 </z-m>
    </offset>
  </model>

I can get the Commander throttle pulled out to work on that next but it will need to be deleted from wherever it is at now. Last time I modified the cockpit the windows went dark :?

Also, should I keep all this in one file or split each control to seperate XML files? I suppose it can all go into cockpit.xml ...??

Thanks
Jorge
japreja

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:40 am

Well, fellow Shuttle users - do you know your manual? Here's a little quiz I came up with while testing failure modes and how they show on the GNC SYS SUMM 2 display.

The following five screens show each an off-nominal condition. The relevant fault message has been cleared already (otherwise it'd be easy). Can you spot what's wrong (first series of hints after the screenshots)?

Hint: The failure conditions are (not in order shown)

a) a nitrogen leak in the OMS
b) both He-valves closes for an RCS pod
c) an OMS engine burning inefficient (subtle one)
d) an RCS thruster failure with manifold closed off (easy)
e) a helium leak in the RCS
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:00 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:40 am:Well, fellow Shuttle users - do you know your manual? Here's a little quiz I came up with while testing failure modes and how they show on the GNC SYS SUMM 2 display.

The following five screens show each an off-nominal condition. The relevant fault message has been cleared already (otherwise it'd be easy). Can you spot what's wrong (first series of hints after the screenshots)?

Maybe you should consider a new SpaceShuttle wiki page for these things:

A bit like the other aircraft tutorial articles (e.g. the A380 tutorial or the 747-400 tutorial). Such a page could be of real help to new users, to help understand the complexities of the shuttle.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Could you add these files to the Models sub-folder and add the following code to SpaceShuttle.xml in the same folder

Done - though I've renamed it and moved into the cockpit xml where it conceptually belongs.

I am still not sure if they all move in unison or only based on some computer setting.

They do not. If you move one, it generates a command (provided it's switched to be active for flight controls - the rear) - if the command has priority, then it gets executed, if not then not. And it only does rotational commands, in orbit you'd have to veto moving it when the FCS receives translational commands.

By the way, it's called the 'rotational hand controller' (RHC).
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Such a page could be of real help to new users, to help understand the complexities of the shuttle.

Well, the OMS/RCS systems modeling is now 80% of what the real thing does (you get meaningful pressures, valve settings, fault detection,...) so you might as well read the actual manual rather than a wiki page. Less work for me.

As a beginner, you wouldn't deal with off-nominal systems and response procedures anyway. For nominal operations, the in-sim checklists are a good guide.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:10 pm:Well, the OMS/RCS systems modeling is now 80% of what the real thing does (you get meaningful pressures, valve settings, fault detection,...) so you might as well read the actual manual rather than a wiki page. Less work for me.

That sounds as good as an excuse as any to include this public domain PDF manual with the shuttle in FGAddon ;) Now to see what happens with the EFB ideas and the canvas PDF support.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:05 am

Whew... APU/HYD display done...

This beauty monitors close to 100 properties. Most of them are implemented in a meaningful way, i.e. you see the expected changes in pressures and temperatures if you fire up an APU, you see off-nominal values if there is a malfunction somewhere, temperatures computed are the result of background temperature in the orbiter aft fuselage, the action of heating elements and the heat generated by the running APUs (there's actually heat conduction from one APU to the others - if you fire up only one, you'll see the temperature leak over eventually), the action of the water spray boilers,...

It's... a piece of work.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:05 am:Whew... APU/HYD display done...

Wow!
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Summary of what's implemented on Space Shuttle avionics on the Wiki.
Thorsten

Postby hamzaalloush » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:16 pm

fantastic work being delivered in a very fast pace, congrats to all developers involved
hamzaalloush

Postby japreja » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:53 am

This took quite a while to reduce the verts, slightly over 63,000 now., major drop from the original and the shape is maintained. Also reduced the faces quite a bit by converting pairs of triangles to single quads. I didn't touch the MLP yet, it is still as NASA had it. I think I might just remake it with the same dimensions, it will be easier going now that I banged out the rest of the structures verts. Maybe ~1,000 more verts less and that's about the best that can be done.

Here is the .ac and .blend files so far, let me know if there are any changes in FPS from the other one a few weeks ago. The scale is as I downloaded it from NASA. I think it would be safe to join together the major parts that will never move and use them for KTTS Scenery but keep in mind this will be placed on the concrete structure which is the correct size/scale/height so far, which is a height of 16.1544 meters. the Rotating part and the MLP will need to go with the Space Shuttle when the MLP is rebuilt.

and the pad is being worked on :wink: but the triangles really bug me, I am going to try to make them quads so it will be easier to edit at later dates in case someone does Moon Port, and the newest Commercial launch platforms. The two cubes in the lower right will be the flame deflectors.

I haven't started any vertice reduction on the Crawler yet. We will need to figure out a way to make tank tracks roll, I haven't seen it done yet in FG so it might be quite a challenge maybe some type of rigged elliptical orbit around the drive wheels. Maybe testing it out on a tank first?
japreja

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight