Board index FlightGear Release candidates

Please test the 3.6 RC

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

Please test the 3.6 RC

Postby Torsten » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:45 am

Hi everybody,

we have (ahem - James has) finally managed to get a release candidate for 3.6 assembled.
If you don't mind downloading a GB+, please give it try and report back if everythings works as expected.
If nothing bad pops up, we will declare this a release in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Torsten

For Windows: http://sourceforge.net/projects/flightg ... e/download
For Mac: http://sourceforge.net/projects/flightg ... g/download

Linux users don't need a download link :-)
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Re: Please test the 3.6 RC

Postby clrCoda » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:07 am

Thanks, Torsten.
Last edited by clrCoda on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Catalanoic » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Do we need to check something at specific machines? Like night lights under ati cards for example?
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Torsten » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Good question.
Probably
- does it install cleanly?
- does the launcher work?
- does the aircraft catalog download?
- etc. etc.

So it's more some basic functionality. James has spent a lot of time providing a nice user experience with the launcher and we did not have much time testing all this.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline

Postby Hooray » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:06 pm

I'd say, standard functionality that is "advertized" through the UI, especially with the default aircraft (c172p) e.g.:

- reset/re-init (relocate/change airport)
- replay (flight recorder)
- route manager, autopilot
- different shader quality levels

anything that looks/behaves inconsistent would be good to know, especially if it involves any of the default settings (c172p at KSFO), because that is what most newcomers will end up seeing and using.

Obviously, this also involves watching memory/cpu utilization.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:50 pm

do you mean things like in the --launcher that don't appear to be "right"?? like thumbnails that are too large? the font in use being too large? craft being double or triple listed?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:21 am

- reset/re-init (relocate/change airport)

I guess we know already that one ain't really working :-/ Unless this has been fixed, any reset freezes all uniforms in the effect systems to their value at reset - doesn't show dramatically initially, but in fact lighting never changes from that point, snow line doesn't, dynamical displacement of shadows doesn't work,...

I'd be far happier if we'd disable the option to re-locate in-sim for the time being and just have it in the tutorials...
Thorsten

Postby clrCoda » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:16 am

First Blush Experience of install of 3.6RC on

Windows Vista 32bit ati Radeon x300 4gbRam

I used the link for windows provided above for the test copy.

First thing ( possibly a non-issue )
After clicking on the setup execute file it felt a very long time for something to indicate that anything was actually happening. After a few minutes I noticed the HDD light was flashing so I remained patient and eventually the operating system asked me to approve the program, I did.

It seemed to be a very clean and typical windows install until the very end. There is a bug report about this but at the end of install it seems the program is attempting to start but it can not find the file intl.dll and therefore the install reports that it can not start flightgear.

This has been previously reported, but I mention it again, because people just trying Windows FlightGear when they get to this point in the installation they may be confused and they may even execute a bit of advice that comes with the crash report about re-installing flightgear, which is entirely unnecessary even after this type of crash.

I ignored the crash and dismissed any and all open windows associated with the install.

Flightgear installed properly and is workable in spite of the above mentioned crash. I assume it to be not important to the over all running of the program that this crash happened,. I assume because flightgear runs on the first click of it's installed icon that the program finds intl.dll because the program runs.

What I found surprising was the inclusion of the "traditional" release planes, because of all the talk about how flightgear was to come with just the 2 UFOs and the new excellent "detailed". It's okay, now I have two of many of these, and the launcher lists the release planes under the documents/Aircraft private local file of planes.

The installation appears to have correctly incorporated my last 3.6 nightly flightgear.org files, and it did create a new nav cache. All of my planes seem to have listed correctly. There is a problem with one of the planes text displayed in the launcher.

It is the release plane version of the B1900D from the data/Aircraft folder. Using the arrow to switch variants and the optional version correctly displays:

After installation, I added my custom hacks to things like huds and menus and keyboard and my Nascar Racing Wheel joystick file, the Global Acars Nasal stuff, Vatsim stuff...

And I took a test flight in the 172 at KSFO and it was an excellent first flight. Everything working properly and as expected so far, but I've not put 3.6rc thru it's paces yet and intend to post anything glaring over the next day or so.

Thank you, folks, for working so very hard and diligently on this.
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby enrogue » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:44 am

A couple of issues right up front for the 3.6RC Mac version:

- The Catalog is disabled (nowhere to add a catalog, and no messages about trying to grab a catalog in fgfs.log)
- For some reason AI traffic gave me a massive framerate hit for the first few runs - now that I've disabled it & re-enabled it though, it's not hitting so hard (it was caning the system via the ATC thread)
- When AI/ATC was killing the system, trying to disable it using the tick box crashed fgfs (I had to disable it straight after startup - setting cmdline props didn't work)

screenshot here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/434 ... en-039.png

I think how heavily you get hit by AI traffic/ATC depends on where you startup actually - the above screenshot was taken at EGMH

and just after taking that screenshot I tried disabling AI traffic - fgfs died with the following error:

Code: Select all
Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010d82fa69 FGTrafficRecord::isActive(int) const + 73
1   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010d871121 FGGroundNetwork::update(double) + 369
2   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010d82c40e FGATCManager::update(double) + 574
3   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010e1e500c SGSubsystemGroup::Member::update(double) + 76
4   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010e1e42be SGSubsystemGroup::update(double) + 286
5   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010e1e5b45 SGSubsystemMgr::update(double) + 69
6   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010da7a0c6 fgMainLoop() + 70
7   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010dd13488 fgOSMainLoop() + 88
8   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010da79ae3 fgMainInit(int, char**) + 2963
9   org.flightgear.FlightGear           0x000000010da49c73 main + 227
10  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff90eaf5c9 start + 1

If someone wants the full log I'll pm them a link
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby elgaton » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:12 pm

clrCoda wrote in Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:16 am:After clicking on the setup execute file it felt a very long time for something to indicate that anything was actually happening. After a few minutes I noticed the HDD light was flashing so I remained patient and eventually the operating system asked me to approve the program, I did.

That happens because the User Account Control functionality (on Windows Vista and later) tries to find a valid digital signature in the setup program (so that, if there is one, Windows can display the author name and program description in the UAC prompt). It takes a long time because the file size of the setup program is huge - the only workaround would be to store the Setup executable and the compressed data in separate files, I don't think that would be practical.

clrCoda wrote in Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:16 am:It seemed to be a very clean and typical windows install until the very end. There is a bug report about this but at the end of install it seems the program is attempting to start but it can not find the file intl.dll and therefore the install reports that it can not start flightgear.

Thanks for the report - I'm on a slow connection, but I'll try to download a 3.6 small nightly build and have a look, hoping I'll be able to submit a patch before 3.6 is released.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:24 pm

This error of the nightly crashing on Traffic-disable has been there for a little while now. Confirmed, it is broken on uninstall.
On he plus, it doesn't seem to negatively affect my laptops performance!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby KL-666 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:32 pm

I am on win8.1 and had the following experience:

Install:
Fine, except for the confusing error messages about "try reinstall" at the end of the process. (Did nothing about that)

Startup:
Used fgrun, worked just fine.

Flying:
Quite normal (some 6 hours 777, several flights). Had one program crash, which is not out of the ordinary.

Performance:
Big surprise on memory usage since last rc. My test to fly over the alps with 150000 visibility at fl 400 consumed almost half the memory it did half a year ago. Almost unbelievable. Is flightgear better, or did something change in terrasync tiles?

Terrasync:
Strange issue of not adding new objects to an airport i have already been to (LFLL). Aftrer trying everything like throwing away cache files, i tried a fresh terrasync directory. That worked. But it would be bad to have to throw away terrasync data all the time to obtain new objects on existing tiles.
Note that my terrasync data was already based on the new servers (mgras...something). I started a fresh terrasync directory just a week ago.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby Warty » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 pm

One problem I have is with the F14's afterburner . . .

MacMini, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5.
OS: 10.10.2 Yosemite, Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB
Warty

Callsign: Warty
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby bugman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Hi Warty,

For the new afterburner effect from Thorsten, there is a known problem with the GNU/Linux radeon open source video drivers, which AMD is slowly working on to fix (I hope). To see if the problem is related to what I see, could you try the following change in FGData:

diff --git a/Shaders/thrustflame-ALS.frag b/Shaders/thrustflame-ALS.frag
index 1633330..976e243 100644
--- a/Shaders/thrustflame-ALS.frag
+++ b/Shaders/thrustflame-ALS.frag
@@ -30,8 +30,8 @@ uniform float base_flame_b;
 uniform int use_shocks;
 uniform int use_noise;

-float Noise3D(in vec3 coord, in float wavelength);
-float Noise2D(in vec2 coord, in float wavelength);
+//float Noise3D(in vec3 coord, in float wavelength);
+//float Noise2D(in vec2 coord, in float wavelength);

const int n_steps = 15;

@@ -65,10 +65,10 @@ float radius = flame_radius_fraction + thrust_collimation * 1.0 * pow((pos.x+0.1
 if (d_rad > radius) {return 0.0;}

-if (use_noise ==1)
-       {
-       noise = Noise2D(vec2(pos.x - osg_SimulationTime * 30.0 , d_rad), noise_scale);
-       }
+//if (use_noise ==1)
+//     {
+//     noise = Noise2D(vec2(pos.x - osg_SimulationTime * 30.0 , d_rad), noise_scale);
+//     }

density *= (1.0 - smoothstep(0.125, radius, d_rad)) * (1.0 - noise_strength + noise_strength* noise);

If it is the same problem, this commenting out of the noise functions will cause the afterburner effect to show rather than seeing the opaque geometric object of the shader. You will probably see the same problem with the SpaceShuttle.

Cheers,

Edward

Edit: I reported the problem at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.games.flightgear.devel/78005/focus=78018 and an improvement in the video driver development in the following post.
bugman

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:44 pm

I have a problem with the new launcher, using 3.7.
I know, it's not 3.6, but it has never really worked for me. Probably because I don't really like it, and the times I tried it, it shows an error.

Ok, problem 1.
I opened it up ok, using a link to fgfs.exe with option --launcher.
But, after I closed it, and restarted my laptop, it crashes (with the FGFS.exe stopped working error) before opening the launcher.

general:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:390:CrashRpt enabled
general:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:415:FlightGear:  Version 3.7.0
general:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:416:Built with Microsoft Visual C++ version 1600
general:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\main.cxx:418:Jenkins number/ID 2053:2053
general:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2070:Processing config file: C:/Users/Redpath/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/fgfsrc
general:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2485:fg_root = C:/Users/Redpath/Documents/GitHub/MY_FGDATA
input:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:467:Reading global preferences
input:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:469:Finished Reading global preferences
input:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\globals.cxx:645:Reading user settings from C:/Users/Redpath/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/autosave_3_7.xml
navaid:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Navaids\NavDataCache.cxx:257:NavCache at:Path "C:/Users/Redpath/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/navdata_3_7.cache"
navaid:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Navaids\NavDataCache.cxx:1199:NavCache: no main cache rebuild required
general:5:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Network\HTTPClient.cxx:155:default catalog not found, installing 'org.flightgear.default' from 'http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.7.0/default-catalog.xml'.
unknown:4:..\..\simgear\simgear\io\HTTPClient.cxx:445:HTTP::Connection: connectToHost: open() failed
io:4:..\..\simgear\simgear\io\sg_netChannel.cxx:233:Network:-1: errno: No such file or directory(2)

So.... ok.
But, a more serious error, is whenever I tried to run any plane, it says it cannot find the C172P-set.xml in e.g. C:\Users\Redpath\Documents\GitHub\MY_FGDATA\Aircraft\A320neo\...

general:4:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2153:multiple values forbidden for option:enable-real-weather-fetch, ignoring:
general:4:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2153:multiple values forbidden for option:aircraft, ignoring:A320-copilot
general:4:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:2153:multiple values forbidden for option:airport, ignoring:KBTV
input:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\options.cxx:1998:aircraft = c172p
general:5:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\fg_init.cxx:220:aircraft 'c172p-set.xml' not found in specified dir:C:/Users/Redpath/Documents/GitHub/MY_FGDATA/Aircraft/A320neo
io:3:..\..\..\flightgear\src\Main\globals.cxx:672:Saving user settings to C:/Users/Redpath/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/autosave_3_7.xml

Either I specified a plane in Additional options (I didn't) and an airport (I didn't), but I don't know what's happening.
Additional options was blank at the time.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Next

Return to Release candidates