Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

POLL: Blocking from mpserver12

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Was it right to block IAHM-COL and legoboy from mpserver12?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:27 am

Absolutely: it is Rob's server and he may do whatever he wants.
50%
It was justified in IAHM-COL's case, but not legoboy's.
13%
No: they were not causing any problems on that server.
38%
I'm torn on this / cannot answer / none of the above.
No votes

Total votes : 8

POLL: Blocking from mpserver12

Postby simbambim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:27 am

The poll runs for 10 days. You may change your vote if you change your mind. Please no comments, only voting.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Re: POLL: Blocking from mpserver

Postby tikibar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 am

This is a big fat waste of time. Firstly, your first option is a non sequitur. Right or wrong, it is Rob's server and he may do whatever he wants with it. That fact is not disputable. Secondly, the opinion of the community is totally irrelevent because it's Rob's server and he may do whatever he wants with it. If you don't like it, tough s**t. It's not a community-supported resource, so the community has no say.
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Postby KL-666 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:58 am

I agree with Tikibar that the answers are of different orders. Now two of them are correct. That is btw not the same as to be torn on it.

1) Absolutely: it is Rob's server and he may do whatever he wants. (as long as these choices do not look like they are also flightgears choices)
2) No: they were not causing any problems on that server. (that is my opinion)

There is no problem with differing in opinion with someone. Life just goes on while knowing each others positions. I do not think this can be made into a match to see which opinion is better.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby simbambim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Didn't I ask to not comment? But if you absolutely must, then please go to the original topic.
The opinion of community is relevant because this is exactly what I'm interested in. Feel free to ignore the poll if you don't like it.

Moderators, could you lock this and move the comments?
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Postby simbambim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Vincent: You still have to choose which one prevails. The emphasis is on the question and "yes" or "no", not on the explanation.
The choice in polls is not always easy. :wink:
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Postby CaptB » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:28 pm

I will not participate, it does nothing constructive but devides people further. Sad.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Re: POLL: Blocking from mpserver12

Postby DFaber » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm

CaptB wrote in Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:28 pm:I will not participate, it does nothing constructive but devides people further. Sad.

+1 on that

Simbambim, what do you want to achieve here? Force Server maintainers to donate bandwidth for FGMP and give up control over their property?
They deserve every respect and our thanks for running these Servers for the community.
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby simbambim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:38 pm

I don't see how this is further dividing the community, because the fact already has happened and everybody already has an opinion, and not talking about it will not undo it or make it less ugly. Also, nobody is forced to participate, so I don't really see a problem here.
I'd really appreciate if people didn't bring the discussion about blocking over here and didn't start a new discussion about why we're having this poll. :roll: After all, it's just a poll.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Postby curt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:49 pm

It would be great to move forward on positive subjects instead of wasting time arguing and reviving things in the past. What this poll does is potentially provide fodder for continuing the same arguments. Maybe this poll would be a better fit for some other forum?!?
curt
Administrator

Postby simbambim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:54 pm

Is it possible to lock it without interfering with the voting?
I'm genuinely interested in people's opinion.
After the poll, I promise not to talk about this again. :)
In fact, I'd stop talking now, but people ask me questions all the time.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Postby Hooray » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:25 pm

As per Curt's comments above, I am suggesting to close/lock or delete this poll/thread and move this to the fgmembers forum. We have really spent enough time debating fgmembers and unfortunate decisions on our end, but I think it really is about time to move on, or we will continue like this.
As others have rightly pointed out, the whole fgmembers dilemma (and our way of dealing with this challenge) has literally taken away hundreds of hours of manpower from the last/current release cycle, and that is unfortunate enough in and of itself.
There are end users around here who are still waiting for 3.6 to be finished/released, and all these debates are preventing us from working towards this goal.
Honestly, fgmembers played a major role in the delay if the 3.6 release, as well as the degree of actual core development that could take place in the last 6 months.

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby simbambim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:53 pm

Hooray,
I am really sorry that you don't understand this is not about FGMembers.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Postby Hooray » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:45 pm

be assured, I understand exactly what this is about, but also how this is going to unfold - just like I saw exactly coming what would happen, 6+ months ago.

I can totally relate to the fact that some of you/us are not amused about these developments, and I am not even amused myself - I also see the dangers of volunteers, contributing certain infrastructure, making certain decisions that may reflect badly upon the project they are contributing to.

Which is why I am grateful for the fact that other important key infrastructure, like the website, forum, wiki, mailing list, are not controlled by community members who may make random, possibly ill-informed, decisions that they consider "in line" with "a greater good".

And which is also why I am grateful for long-term contributors to actually seek consensus before making certain decisions (like banning someone from the wiki/forum or devel list).

However, as others have rightly pointed out, the very instant you start donating your own time, skills and money to extend the FlightGear infrastructure, you will surely not appreciate to be told that you have to tolerate certain b/s.

For instance, the "donor"/contributor of the FlightGear build server is infamous for not exactly tolerating certain users and their behavior (just see the mailiing list archives), yet, he doesn't block obnoxious end-users from getting nightly snapshots from *his* build server, and I think that's a good thing.

Then again, a single MP server is not a critical component of the fgms network - even though I would agree that it might make sense to formalize and establish some rules, especially for those servers wanting to use the flightgear.org domain, because those can be considered "official" - and any decision making should preferably not reflect badly upon the project, or even just cause discussions/polls like these.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby simbambim » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Now you're talking sense, Hooray. But two hours earlier you wrote something completely different, so now I'm confused.
And I still don't see why all the fuss about this poll when it's just a continuation of the thread to which no one objected, just easier to use.
Especially when no one is forced to participate and there is even an option to vote "against the enemy". :roll:
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:51 pm

mpserver12 doesn't exist any more... why is this still going on?? :?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Next

Return to The FlightGear project