Board index FlightGear Development Spaceflight

Space Shuttle

Discussion about development and usage of spacecraft

Re: Space Shuttle

Postby abassign » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:42 pm

How would like to have the button "I like" :)
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:00 pm

And here's the corresponding display for vertical guidance on the entry trajectory (range vs. speed) - so you know at every moment how you're doing and how to correct.

The line is a 4100 mile entry trajectory I've measured out in a test aiming for a steady sink of 70 m/s. This still feels pretty sane (sinks of 100+ m/s give rather brutal roll reversal dynamics) while allowing to flatten the trajectory (you can't go below an average 40 m/s sink because of equilibrium glide dynamics).

Works like a charm - and automatically adapts to a curved groundtrack. Just need to make the display 'nice' - I'm sort of hoping Richard can take over and insert it into his display canvas code, my own canvas skills are rather limited...
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Nice, now we amateurs have a guide to follow, Should make a difference, thanks.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:42 am

And, thanks to some pointers from Richard, here's the same display embedded into the generic DPS screen layout structure:

Actually, you're going to love that... basically the new glass cockpit of the Shuttle is a container for the old CRT screen content. So all the part below the line, controlled by the edge-keys, is the new MEDS structure which allows fancy displays, and in the space above is the old DPS screen structure - which isn't controlled by the edge keys at all but via keyboard commands (which is why we have a keyboard open for convenience). So to change DPS screens, you do not use the menu structure but rather key in command sequences like SPEC 99 PRO (which brings up the fault summary) or OPS 103 PRO (which brings up the present page).

Which basically means you have to know the DPS dictionary by heard which tells you what screen is what number to access all the info.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:15 pm

Gooodness... what with learning why carbon monoxide is dangerous, how popcorn pops, why King Louis XVI lost his head, and where Uzbeckestan is, looks like I'll be stuck on one DPS page!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:37 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:15 pm: why King Louis XVI lost his head!

'Cause a lot of Marxists and Robespierries took over Paris.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:29 am

This is progressing nicely...

The command parser now understands how to set the values of items on-screen and allows to execute operations. Here's OPS 201 (used to control the orbital DAP in auto mode).

This allows to orient the Shuttle in a fixed inertial position, or to select a body axis and track with it either Earth, or a location on Earth, or the Sun (i.e. you can make the Shuttle always point the tail towards Earth, or towards the Sun automatically).

Currently about half of the functionality is supported, but it's anything but self-explanatory, so whoever wants to use it really needs the DPS dictionary in addition to a good knowledge of the manual.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Way cool!

so whoever wants to use it really needs the DPS dictionary in addition to a good knowledge of the manual.

Just how it should be.
wlbragg

Postby bugman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:58 pm

wlbragg wrote in Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:46 pm:
so whoever wants to use it really needs the DPS dictionary in addition to a good knowledge of the manual.

Just how it should be.

I wonder if those are NASA public domain documents which can be distributed with the Shuttle in FG? Or maybe I missed it and it is already there. Great work though, the realism is awesome!

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:57 am

I am fairly sure the flight manual and the DPS dictionary are public domain. I've discussed the possibility of distributing them with the Shuttle with Richard already, the problem is a bit that the manual alone is 1300 pages and 43 MB - so it'd create quite the heavy folder.

I guess if people see value in it, I'm happy to fill the docs folder with NASA material.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:57 am

as a compromise, you could add a dialog with buttons for downloading such files using the existing Nasal http bindings and save everything in $FG_HOME, there also is a dedicated open-browser fgcommand, which could be used to view PDF files etc in the default browser

The http stuff works asynchronously, i.e. downloads happen in the background
Actually rendering a PDF inside FG would not be possible currently, so the browser fgcommand is probably our best option
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:45 am

Where is the DPS documentation? I couldn't find it wiith a quick search.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:57 am

Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:20 am

Thank you.

I also noticed the additions to Space Shuttle
wlbragg

Postby bugman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:33 am

Thorsten wrote in Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:57 am:I am fairly sure the flight manual and the DPS dictionary are public domain. I've discussed the possibility of distributing them with the Shuttle with Richard already, the problem is a bit that the manual alone is 1300 pages and 43 MB - so it'd create quite the heavy folder.

The p51d in FGAddon is currently at 1020M, so it's not without precedent (though that size is a little big). It might be also possible to decrease the quality of any PDFs a little to drop the size. It would be good to have everything self contained, for easy reference. Was the procedure to carry these on the shuttle for quick lookups? Hmmm, I'm now wondering about a canvas PDF viewer!

Regards,

Edward
bugman

PreviousNext

Return to Spaceflight