Board index FlightGear Support Compiling

Problem "make install" terragear on UNBUNTU 15.04 FGFS 3.4

Building FlightGear from source, and in the need for help?

Problem "make install" terragear on UNBUNTU 15.04 FGFS 3.4

Postby jomo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:14 am

I had terragear running on earlier systems - but do get now problems when running "make install" terragear. See:
Code: Select all
[ 50%] Built target terrafit
[ 51%] Building CXX object src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/ogr-decode.cxx.o
/home/emmerich/D_E_S_I_G_N/terragear/src/Prep/OGRDecode/ogr-decode.cxx: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
/home/emmerich/D_E_S_I_G_N/terragear/src/Prep/OGRDecode/ogr-decode.cxx:667:29: error: ‘class GDALDataset’ has no member named ‘GetLayerByName’
             poLayer = poDS->GetLayerByName( argv[i] );
                             ^
/home/emmerich/D_E_S_I_G_N/terragear/src/Prep/OGRDecode/ogr-decode.cxx:677:30: error: ‘class GDALDataset’ has no member named ‘GetLayerCount’
         for (int i=0;i<poDS->GetLayerCount();i++) {
                              ^
/home/emmerich/D_E_S_I_G_N/terragear/src/Prep/OGRDecode/ogr-decode.cxx:678:29: error: ‘class GDALDataset’ has no member named ‘GetLayer’
             poLayer = poDS->GetLayer(i);
                             ^
src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/build.make:54: recipe for target 'src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/ogr-decode.cxx.o' failed
make[2]: *** [src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/ogr-decode.cxx.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:549: recipe for target 'src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have double-checked in Synaptic for GDAL - but they are all installed.

Does anybody have an idea?
Or do I have to wait for FGFS 3.6?
thx for any idea
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Re: Problem "make install" terragear on UNBUNTU 15.04 FGFS 3

Postby FlugHund » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Oy Jomo,

according to FG-devel ML use the scenery/ws2.0 branch since master is in heavy development and erroneous atm. (devel-ML on Aug. 31st)
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby jomo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:40 am

Hi
I am not sure we talk about the same thing: My FlightGear and TerraSync and Scenery is working fine.
But I wanted to try some changes and thus need TerraGear to generate and maybe distribute changes as an advance fix - that I had running before - but without TerraGear that is a hard (unnecessary) job to copy.
anyhow: thanks for caring
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Postby FlugHund » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:34 pm

Oy jomo,

yes, we're talking about the same thing.

Here the steps: Clone the terragear git repo which, so I assume, you've already done:
git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/flightgear/terragear

Then cd into it:
cd terrargear

Switch to branch scenery/ws2.0
git checkout scenery/ws2.0

Now compile using that state of the source code. If you're using a script to compile terragear I don't know how to achive that, maybe by altering the script or, if you're lucky, it has an option to select a specified branch.

HTH
Alex

Edit: oops, my bad
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby jomo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:38 am

FlugHund wrote in Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:34 pm:Now compile using that state of the source code. If you're using a script to compile terragear I don't know how to achive that, maybe by altering the script or, if you're lucky, it has an option to select a specified branch.

Thanks for the ideas.
So this time I used exactly that "git clone" + "git checkout" from you
and then "cmake" + "make install"

====> exactly the same error:
src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/build.make:54: recipe for target 'src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/ogr-decode.cxx.o' failed
make[2]: *** [src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/ogr-decode.cxx.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:546: recipe for target 'src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:137: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

What I noticed over the weekend:
In the first line it seems to look for: "src/Prep/OGRDecode/CMakeFiles/ogr-decode.dir/ogr-decode.cxx.o"
but there is no such thing - actually the "ogr-decode.cxx" is located in "src/Prep/OGRDecode/ogr-decode.cxx"
without the "CMakeFiles"

I did not yet find where that wrong setup is happening - I am not really involved in these modern programming-techniques :roll:

May be there is someone who can find out where that bug is happening! Must bee in some of those scripts.

thx for your support
jomo

Postby ludomotico » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:05 am

jomo wrote in Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:38 am:So this time I used exactly that "git clone" + "git checkout" from you
and then "cmake" + "make install"

Since you have checked out a new branch, a "make clean" before and after the "cmake" is a good idea. Also, running "cmake" in the main directory and running "make install" directly are not good ideas. After the git clone and git checkout you have already done and don't need to do again, my piece of advice is building the tools like this:

(inside the terragear directory)
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
(if there wasn't any error)
make
(if there wasn't any error)
sudo make install

This way, you compile in a separated directory named "build", and you only have to remove this directory to clean the project in the future. Also, this way you "make" the tools as a normal user (recommended for security reasons) and only "sudo make install" as the superuser if there wasn't any error during the building process.

This is not limited to terragear: building any application in Linux like this is a good idea: "mkdir build; cd build; cmake ..; make; sudo make install"
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby hamzaalloush » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:26 pm

some good soul will provide you with a binary with you wish, i just want to know what kind of shared libraries does Terragear need to compile, i can compile Terragear successfully on Ubuntu, will you want to try out my files? I'm on 14.04.2 btw, let me know if you want to test the binaries.

edit: i have the same problem, with exact error, looks like something has changed from before,

this is particularly interesting:

terragear/src/Prep/OGRDecode/ogr-decode.cxx:678:29: error: ‘class GDALDataset’ has no member named ‘GetLayer’

maybe the current libgdal-dev package does not have this member, so the current package in the repository is out-dated to compile Terragear from scenery/ws2.0 branch, because the latest commit in that branch is:

commit 227cdeab42aad98b703e8c93156e6e524cf8e818
Author: Christian Schmitt <chris@ilovelinux.de>
Date:   Thu Jul 16 21:05:37 2015 +0200

Bump minimum GDAL version to 2.0.0. Adapt code to API changes for now.
    Porting of OGR to GDAL classes can happen later.

maybe we still have GDAL 1.9 in Ubuntu repositories?

i could not find this member from the GDAL 1.9 documentaion of the GDALDataset Class, at: http://www.hpc.wm.edu/SciClone/documentation/software/geo/gdal-1.9.0/html/classGDALDataset.html

while the class in GDAL 2.0 includes GetLayer, check here: http://www.gdal.org/classGDALDataset.html

so maybe we have to get it from backports, or download the GDAL 2.0 source directly and use that.
hamzaalloush

Postby hamzaalloush » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm

ok, turns out it's Terragear moving to require GDAL 2.0 for that branch, while we are still stuck on 1.x i believe in Ubuntu.

so, you'd have to revert to this commit in the source of Terragear with this command, and then build Terragear:

git reset --hard 082ee9b82f15c8067183925a2ce48da817fa3748

you can read about this from the mailing list here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.games.flightgear.devel/78855

i just built Terragear successfully after this!

this could be done easily with the download_and_compile.sh script, but you have to first download the source and modify it before building. start with:

./download_and_compile.sh -c n -r n TERRAGEAR

cd terragear && git reset --hard 082ee9b82f15c8067183925a2ce48da817fa3748 && cd ..

./download_and_compile.sh TERRAGEAR
hamzaalloush

Postby jomo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:14 pm

Thank you guys for your support -- BUT: I still could not convince TERRAGEAR to install. I even tried it on an old PC with the same Basic Installation as my working one - but on that I did not "fool around" that much - but also there I got the same error indication.

So right now I will give up on that - till the "new scenery" + "GDAL2" is available! Till then I will now concentrate just on "signs" and for that I will just bypass Terragear and work more manually!

Just to comment your last suggestions:
hamzaalloush wrote in Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:31 pm:
./download_and_compile.sh -c n -r n TERRAGEAR
cd terragear && git reset --hard 082ee9b82f15c8067183925a2ce48da817fa3748 && cd ..
./download_and_compile.sh TERRAGEAR

did not help - same error indication. I also tried to update GDAL (it actually is/was 1.11.2) - but no luck.
I even tried to install older/newer GDALversions (see https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadSource) --> no luck!

Flughund wrote:
git checkout scenery/ws2.0

The "download_and_compile.sh" does check for that - and found it.

So again: Thanks for trying - I will wait some time till new releases are available.
jomo

Postby elgaton » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 pm

download_and_compile.sh always performs a "git pull" before compiling the code, hence it "resets" the effect of the "git reset" command. Try opening download_and_compile.sh with a text editor, adding the

under the "_gitUpdate scenery/ws2.0" line and recompiling.

Should you still have problems compiling it, I'm willing to generate the scenery (however, I'm on a slow connection and don't have much free time at the moment, so I think a build could initially take a few days).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby jomo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Hallelujah that
elgaton wrote in Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:32 pm:download_and_compile.sh always performs a "git pull" before compiling the code, hence it "resets" the effect of the "git reset" command. Try opening download_and_compile.sh with a text editor, adding the

under the "_gitUpdate scenery/ws2.0" line and recompiling.

made it. TerraGear and TerraGUI did start !!!!!

Thousand thanks to All of you:
I will have a wonderful day tomorrow playing with all those Goodies!
jomo

Postby hamzaalloush » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:08 pm

congrats!!! enjoy TG, bring the goodness :D
hamzaalloush

Return to Compiling