Board index FlightGear Release candidates

My issues with FlightGear 3.6.0RC

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

Re: My issues with FlightGear 3.6.0RC

Postby aplund » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:21 am

I do also have /usr/share/flightgear/data installed as well. I thought FG_SCENERY overrode this though.
aplund

Postby aplund » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 am

Another issue I'm constantly battling with in 3.6 is the tutorials. It's almost impossible get a reliable starting of each tutorial
aplund

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 pm

note that the scenery engine/tile cache is multi-threaded, so if something seems non-deterministic/hard to reproduce, that may be part of the reason.

That was James' conclusion as well.

Another issue I'm constantly battling with in 3.6 is the tutorials. It's almost impossible get a reliable starting of each tutorial

That's a bit vague. I checked on some reports involving the c-172p recently, and they did start for me.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:11 pm

on Linux, you can tell the OS to run the process single-threaded to see if that makes the problem disappear. On Windows I don't know.
But another option would be serializing the multi-threaded code to come up with a startup option that doesn't use any multithreading to see if that "fixes" the problem or not - obviously, startup would take much longer then, and everything that's currently taking place asynchronously, would also add to main loop load now.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby aplund » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Thorsten wrote in Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:00 pm:That's a bit vague. I checked on some reports involving the c-172p recently, and they did start for me.

Sorry, I mean the engine starting issues with the new c172p start-up procedure. In particular the straight-in-landing tutorial. I'm not great at it all, I use the numpad for controls, and as the yoke and engine throttle isn't changed when you restart the tutorial, you find yourself out of control with the straight-in-landing tutorial quite easily.
aplund

Postby aplund » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Hooray wrote in Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:11 pm:on Linux, you can tell the OS to run the process single-threaded to see if that makes the problem disappear. .

Gah. I cannot figure this out. I've tried prepending "taskset -a -c 1" to fgfs --airport=YPPH and it keeps running on cpu 0 instead of 1!!

Are you thinking this is some kind of deadlock? It happens eveytime for me. So it's unlikely to be a race.
aplund

Previous

Return to Release candidates