Board index FlightGear Development Weather

Something to look at during night flights...

Everything related to weather simulation, visuals should be discussed in the shader subforum.

Re: Something to look at during night flights...

Postby erik » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:25 am

gsagostinho wrote in Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:33 pm:Great Thorsten, thanks a lot! I will work on it straight away for the c172p :)

Don't say I didn't warn you they way it works might change in the future.
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby gsagostinho » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:19 pm

@erik Well, all that can happen is that I lose teh 10 minutes spent on sound editing and someone loses 10 minutes used for implementing the sound. No biggie.
gsagostinho

Postby erik » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:39 pm

ok, that sounds reasonable.

I'm looking into the scenery database code and osgAudio now and wonder if it would be a good moment to implement it. That would make it possible to attach sound effects to scenegraph objects.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby erik » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Hm, this might be a problem:
osgAudio has not been tested on other platforms than Linux and Windows.
erik

Postby gsagostinho » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Here is a short video of the lightning effect in action:

But I also found some problems with the thunderstorm weather, Thorsten. There are two issues that I encountered and which don't happen very often, but when they do they look strange, but so far I can't really understand when or why they are happening (that is, I can't reproduce them all the time). First, my settings (note that I use tile mode "realistic weather", I had changed it after that image and I forgot to take another screenshot, hence the red cross):

Using both Marginal VFR and Thunderstorm weather scenarios, I sometimes get a very red/pink looking rain which looks so strange (I once got an yellow rain at night as well). See:

Next problem is that sometimes the rain isn't touching the cloud base, or that there is no cloud above them. See:

Please let me know if I can help with these things.

Cheers!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby wlbragg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:12 pm

@Gilberto,

I think the rain not touching the cloud base is a known limitation, Thorsten can confirm that.

When you get some thunder sounds composed, if you need help implementing for the c172p, let me know and I'll see if I can help.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Johan G » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:54 pm

@Gilberto: Thanks for the video. :D
@Thorsten: This looks great. :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby gsagostinho » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:13 pm

@wlbragg Sound uploaded, see Issue #443 for more information.
gsagostinho

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Using both Marginal VFR and Thunderstorm weather scenarios, I sometimes get a very red/pink looking rain which looks so strange (I once got an yellow rain at night as well).

Anything pink in a dark ALS scenery is very likely a fallback to the default renderer (which likes pink a bit more...) - in the event perhaps caused by a failed shader compilation - so do you get any error involving rain-layer-ALS.vert/frag?

Attaching rain to the cloud base in mountains is... not as trivial as it seems unfortunately. Perhaps rain is a decent target for volumetric rendering if clouds are too tough - I would somehow like to phase out the rain layer textures.
Thorsten

Postby gsagostinho » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:16 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 pm:Anything pink in a dark ALS scenery is very likely a fallback to the default renderer (which likes pink a bit more...) - in the event perhaps caused by a failed shader compilation - so do you get any error involving rain-layer-ALS.vert/frag?

Could you please explain to me how can I check for this error?

Attaching rain to the cloud base in mountains is... not as trivial as it seems unfortunately. Perhaps rain is a decent target for volumetric rendering if clouds are too tough - I would somehow like to phase out the rain layer textures.

Oh, I see. Anyway, the main visual problem is not so much when the rain is a bit below the cloud, but when the rain is without a cloud above it at all (e.g. my last screenshot in my previous post). Still, if that's also non-trivial to fix then at least in my experience this doesn't happen so often (I had to hit "Apply" several times until I got that image).
gsagostinho

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:50 am

Could you please explain to me how can I check for this error?

either use --log-level=warn --console and look into the console window whether any error containing 'vertex' or 'fragment' appears, or look through the log file.
Thorsten

Postby gsagostinho » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:21 pm

OK Thorsten, I will check that as soon as I can.
gsagostinho

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:23 pm

For the record, I've come across a nice book describing the physics of lightning, and it gives the approximate lightning intensities for different regions of the world.

It seems the density of lightning strikes to the ground in the tropics isn't dramatically different from central Europe, the numbers give just a factor of 1.2 or so. What is very different is the number of in-cloud lightning strikes never reaching the ground, which are a factor 2.5 higher in the tropics than in central Europe. So you'd see the illumination much more than the bolt :-)
Thorsten

Previous

Return to Weather