Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Wiki page view count

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Wiki page view count

Postby mickybadia » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi,
Has the page view count feature been disabled on the FlightGear wiki? It used to be visible with the "&action=info" URLs (page information link).
mickybadia

Re: Wiki page view count

Postby Gijs » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi,

These counters have been removed from MediaWiki (the software the wiki is running on) as of the latest version. We've updated our installation today, which is why you're no longer able to view them. See https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_f ... aWiki_core for the discussion on that decision (note that it's not something we've decided ourselves). There are extensions available that can takeover the functionality of the counters, but as we've only just updated to a major new release, I'll stay away from installing new addons for a day or two to ensure everything's running fine.

Just out of curiosity: what did you use the counter for?

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:14 pm

One of the things they are good for is getting a feel of what pages should be prioritized when trying to improve one or another aspect for the most visited pages (been there, done that). ;)

I would expect there are better tools to analyze usage patterns though. The question is how they can be transparent, so that all the editors could use them, not just the system administrators.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 am

if it's not too much to ask for, I would also like to see them back, even if just for admins - I've been doing what Johan G mentions above, i.e. prioritized my wiki edits based on view numbers etc, so I find them pretty useful too.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to The FlightGear project