Board index FlightGear Development

--multiplay=out option needed for viewing only?

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

--multiplay=out option needed for viewing only?

Postby mickybadia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:37 am

Oh and I have another quick question related to the setup described in this post. Why do I need a --multiplay=out at all? I seem to be viewing nothing at all when I don't have it on, but I do not see what I would need it to send anywhere.

EDIT: how can anybody understand such a messed up last sentence lol. I was tired.
Last edited by mickybadia on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickybadia

Re: --multiplay=out option needed for viewing only?

Postby clrCoda » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:23 pm

It's useful for the vatsim network. It's not necessary for Multiplayer, as far as I can tell or remember from what i've read about it here in the past

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby mickybadia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:07 pm

Well I see no plane if I do not set it. It seems the client verifies the recvfrom address and matches it against the one given in "out". I know I could have a look at the code but I have been doing that a lot these days so :-p
mickybadia

Postby AndersG » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:02 pm

The server doesn't know about you unless you send MP packets to it, so if you don't you will not receive anything.
If you don't want be seen insert 'OBS' in your callsign (IIRC).
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby mickybadia » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:59 pm

No I am talking here about using FG as a viewer only, to which I am sending my own packets. I see no planes at all if I do not give it an "out" port, though I do not need it to send me anything. Probably to discard any UDP packet it would get from different addresses?
mickybadia

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:22 am

you still need to send something to your own local server so that it will send the packets back to you for viewing... apparently you cannot observe without being known to the server sending you the packets you want to see...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby mickybadia » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 am

I am not using a "server", as in "FGMS server". See the setup I have linked to: I have my own program, just starting one fgfs instance, sending packets to it and not reading anything.
mickybadia

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:31 pm

ahhh... my bad... i thought you were doing FGFS to FGFS with the second one being an observer only... never mind me ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby clrCoda » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:24 pm

That's okay wkitty42, I confused out with in. My statement above should read that "in" may be useful for vatsim, but not completely necessary for the MP.

Thanks Anders for clarity.

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Return to Development