Board index FlightGear Release candidates

My issues with FlightGear 3.6.0RC

Release candidate testers are encouraged to post their feedback here. Please read the introduction topic for details.
Forum rules
Please read the introduction topic for details.

Re: My issues with FlightGear 3.6.0RC

Postby Thorsten » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:32 am

Yes, I have lots of games.

But do they use OpenGL? You're on Windows, so they might just be DirectX.

I've spent an hour researching your rendering issues. I think they're fundamentally mostly the same (the error messages seem fairly similar) - missing buildings with just an outline rendered, black terrain or the no-show of the water - they're all shader compilation errors, and they're independent of rendering framework (i.e. are observable in ALS and outside) just the symptoms are different. The only genuinely different things are the red buildings and the z-ordering problems.

As for the compilation errors:

* I'm seeing none of them, which isn't overly surprising in itself, NVIDIA drivers are fairly permissive, ATI/AMD not necessarily so, so sometimes bad GLSL slips by me and causes issues. Usually the error message is descriptive enough to fix it - but not here.

* they have to my knowledge never been reported before for FG (some of the symptoms are fairly prominent, for instance no seeing buildings after switching them on would bound to be notices, so would black terrain - so it seems no other ATI/AMD user who is on the devel list has seen them either

* The cause reported by the error message (dual definition of a main function) is definitely not the actual cause - none of the affected bits of code declare two main function. The line reported for the message is the declaration of the main function in all cases, but there has not been a main function before - not clear what happens.

* I've tried to google the error, but it seems to be very rare, and the explanation given is only as above, so no help here

* I can't see any common theme among the affected shaders - it's agriculture for ALS, water for ALS and non-ALS, buildings for ALS and non-ALS so far, possibly more. Agriculture has last been modified Dec. 2014, so before the 3.4 release. water-sine.frag has last been modified Nov. 2013, i.e. before the 3.0 release. There's no change FG-side which could explain why these shaders stopped working for you when they did in 3.4.

* While I might miss some ATI/AMD specific subtlety, Emilian (who made the last changes to the non-ALS variants) is far less likely to do so and I believe he has access to ATI/AMD architectures to test - the fact that his work shows just the same issues makes it further unlikely that this is a combination of simple slips on my side.

Thus, at this point the evidence would suggest some change on your side, leading to some weirdness (otherwise, I can't for the sake of it figure out why code that hasn't changed since 2013 should suddenly start to not compile).

So, I don't know what is going on, and I don't have any leads to investigate the compilation errors further, but I suspect based on th fact that things which haven't changed stopped working that it's not FG-side. A suggestion to proceed by trail and error would be to try to up-/downgrade drivers - there are some reported cases for ATI/AMD architectures where this solved problems. Or maybe someone else can see what I'm missing.
Thorsten

Postby Bug Bunny » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:39 pm

But do they use OpenGL? You're on Windows, so they might just be DirectX.

Yes, I play OpenGL games like UrbanTerror, Minetest, Counter-Strike, GLQuake, Quake II, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and other (no glitches for these games).
A suggestion to proceed by trail and error would be to try to up-/downgrade drivers - there are some reported cases for ATI/AMD architectures where this solved problems. Or maybe someone else can see what I'm missing.

I will upgrade to latest ATI drivers and report here.
BTW, you said there is -warn level that will output errors in console, but where is console itself?
Bug Bunny

Version: 3.6.0RC

Postby Thorsten » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm not sure (Linux here, haven't looked at Win for six months) - probably --console added to the commandline gets you one.
Thorsten

Postby Bug Bunny » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:36 pm:I'm not sure (Linux here, haven't looked at Win for six months) - probably --console added to the commandline gets you one.

Yes, it works now: fgfs.exe --console --launcher, I did some testing with black tiles, look in viewtopic.php?f=68&t=27088&p=253582#p253582
Bug Bunny

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:23 am

Emilian gave me a pointer to indexing issues - these may explain at least part of what you see (buildings and water compilation errors).

Please try replacing these three files (all in Effects/ ) by the ones I just pushed and see whether this makes a difference to the building and the water compilation errors under ALS:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... efault.eff
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... /space.eff
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... inland.eff

I have still no idea where the agriculture problem comes from (doesn't look like the same cause), but then again, you couldn't reproduce that one.
Thorsten

Postby Bug Bunny » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:09 pm

Emilian gave me a pointer to indexing issues - these may explain at least part of what you see (buildings and water compilation errors).

Please try replacing these three files (all in Effects/ ) by the ones I just pushed and see whether this makes a difference to the building and the water compilation errors under ALS:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... efault.eff
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... /space.eff
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... inland.eff

OK, i've got some news:
at KSFO with ALS on there is no shader errors in console with changing custom settings except water turn to blue with following error at preMAX setting:
Pic: https://i.imgur.com/KGDK2Ea.png (at other levels it is ok, even on MAX).

Code: Select all
FRAGMENT glCompileShader "D:/Games/FlightGear/fgdata/Shaders/water-ALS-base.frag" FAILED

FRAGMENT Shader "D:/Games/FlightGear/fgdata/Shaders/water-ALS-base.frag" infolog:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:147: error(#248) Function already has a body: main
ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors.  No code generated

glLinkProgram "" FAILED

Program "" infolog:
Fragment shader(s) were not successfully compiled before glLinkProgram() was called.  Link failed.

I have still no idea where the agriculture problem comes from (doesn't look like the same cause), but then again, you couldn't reproduce that one.

I can reproduce agriculture error easily, you misunderstand me probably, here is error at UKON, there is no shader errors on my airport except agri one:
Pic: https://i.imgur.com/gWDELmO.png

Code: Select all
FRAGMENT glCompileShader "D:/Games/FlightGear/fgdata/Shaders/agriculture-ALS.frag" FAILED

FRAGMENT Shader "D:/Games/FlightGear/fgdata/Shaders/agriculture-ALS.frag" infolog:
Fragment shader failed to compile with the following errors:

glLinkProgram "" FAILED

Program "" infolog:
Fragment shader(s) were not successfully compiled before glLinkProgram() was called.  Link failed.

Also, it seems that white building thing is fixed near two my airports, I don't see it anymore, however, I've spotted strange building in water at KSFO at any custom settings (go up 3000 ft above airport and look to your left), here is how it looks: https://i.imgur.com/Px4HXgX.png

Red buildings bug is present as usual.
Bug Bunny

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:47 am

I can reproduce agriculture error easily, you misunderstand me probably

Me: If you didn't see the black terrain, repeat the exercise where you first observed this
-> do you see the terrain go black, if so, do you see a compilation error to the console, if so, what is it? What is the location (lat, lon)?

You: Testing at UKON airport, 3000 ft
Error at start if you look around (all MIN, changing TRANSITION and LANDMASS does not produce any errors and no black tiles):

WTF?! What's there to misunderstand? You gave a negative answer to a clear question asking you to try to reproduce the problem where you first observed it.
Thorsten

Postby Bug Bunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:47 am:
WTF?! What's there to misunderstand? You gave a negative answer to a clear question asking you to try to reproduce the problem where you first observed it.

OK, I explain again: agriculture error appears only if agriculture custom setting is turned to maximum on UKON airport. Landmass and transition settings does not produce agriculture shader error.
Bug Bunny

Postby Bug Bunny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:05 pm

NEW:
30) Related to buggy load tape: if I end the replay of at least 3.4 recording, my cessna falls like a rock, wings damaged etc, but when I reload or load another tape, it looks damaged even on reload.
31) On recorded tapes from 3.6 when I take controls of my cessna, its engine stops, so I need to restart in flight.
Bug Bunny

Postby aplund » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:25 am

I'm not sure if this has been covered here or not, but if I run fgfs without the KSFO scenery in FG_SCENERY directory, then the loading screen gets to the loading scenery part and just stops with no error message. I've been trying unpacking just a few of the scenemodel tarballs (as I've been having trouble with water over runways in terrasync) and ran into this.
aplund

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:29 am

Interesting... I've had sort of a similar problem, and we never got to the root of this. Can you describe exactly what is needed to reproduce this and make it go away again? Is this using/not using terrasync, pointing the scenery directory how,...?
Thorsten

Postby aplund » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 am

Terrasync is off. Set FG_SCENERY to a new directory. In new directory, unpack GlobalObjects.tgz, SharedModels.tgz and a scenery pack not near KSFO (w010n50.tgz for me). Then try and load fgfs without any options to start you at KSFO.
aplund

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:07 am

That doesn't necessarily have something to do with KSFO then - what happens if you ask FG to start at any other airport which is not installed?

(if so, seem to be the same bug I've been seeing )
Thorsten

Postby aplund » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:09 am

Well, it does seem to be anywhere that there is no scenery info for. Tried a few remote airports and same thing. You get the "loading scenery" with the spinner going round and round, but no end. The menu at the top comes up and you can see where you are on the map though.
aplund

Postby Hooray » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 am

note that the scenery engine/tile cache is multi-threaded, so if something seems non-deterministic/hard to reproduce, that may be part of the reason.
I think we've seen a number of similar bug reports involving multiple $FG_SCENERY locations
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

PreviousNext

Return to Release candidates