Board index FlightGear Development

Bugs in tutorials on 3.6.0 branch

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Bugs in tutorials on 3.6.0 branch

Postby aplund » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:57 am

It seems that the engine autostart isn't working right on the tutorials using the new starting procedures for the C172P. You get a lot of "Use the primer!" messages.

Also the view is generally messed up. You don't seem to start off in the cockpit view, which would seem to be a sensible place to start.
aplund

Re: Bugs in tutorials on 3.6.0 branch

Postby onox » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:27 am

aplund wrote in Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:57 am:It seems that the engine autostart isn't working right on the tutorials using the new starting procedures for the C172P. You get a lot of "Use the primer!" messages.

Click "Autostart" in the menu, then hold "s" key until engine starts.

aplund wrote in Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:57 am:Also the view is generally messed up. You don't seem to start off in the cockpit view, which would seem to be a sensible place to start.

And in which view are you starting then?

Which tutorial were you following?
onox
Retired

Postby aplund » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 am

The one tutorial I was concentrating on was the straight in landing.

onox wrote in Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:27 am:Click "Autostart" in the menu, then hold "s" key until engine starts.

This is difficult at the start of the straight in landing tutorial. You start in the air and then suddenly start plunging to the ground.

onox wrote in Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:27 am:And in which view are you starting then?

The simulator starts in the cockpit view. But when you select the tutorial it doesn't stay in the cockpit view anymore. This seems to be true for all tutorials that I've tried.
aplund

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Maybe start ENGINE BEFORE STARTING the tutorial?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby aplund » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:49 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:39 pm:Maybe start ENGINE BEFORE STARTING the tutorial?

This does seem to help, but you still get the "Use the primer!" message with the engine running.

The main problem from there is the change of views when you start the tutorial. The straight-in landing is the worst as you basically are out of control by time you sort the view back to the cockpit view.

Is this a bug? Should I open a bug for this? Can anyone else confirm that this happens?

What I do:

1. start fgfs
2. select help->tutorials->"straight-in landing"->start tutorial
3. crash and burn
aplund

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:54 am

I can confirm that this happens. The issue seems to be an unexpected cross-interaction between the walker addon which is activated by default - de-activating the walker gives a normal view.

The repeated 'use the primer!' messages presumably are a Nasal-script which is not reset-proof (starting a tutorial leads to a reset at a different location).

I'll post this to the C-172p maintainers as this doesn't seem to be a problem of the tutorial.
Thorsten

Postby gsagostinho » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks you all for the reports, I opened an issue for this and asked the more knowledgeable guys to have a look on it: https://github.com/Juanvvc/c172p-detailed/issues/439

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby Hooray » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:29 am

you can use property tracing to see what/where properties are getting modified - but this seems to be due to an interaction between some Nasal code that is isn't aware of other code trying to do the same thing, i.e. lack of integration and mutual coordination apparently.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby aplund » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:44 am

OK. So the last fgdata update has fixed the view issue.

But I still have a few other issues with the staight-in-landing tutorial that make the whole thing very difficult.

My attitude indicator is always way off. It's got me banking at 30-40 degrees when I'm clearly level.

The throttle isn't adjusted when the tutorial starts. So if you start the tutorial when in the previous case the throttle is at 0%, you kinda have a problem when you start up. I've noticed that if you start with the throttle around 60-70% then things are manageable when the tutorial starts.
aplund

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:09 am

My attitude indicator is always way off. It's got me banking at 30-40 degrees when I'm clearly level.

I can't reproduce that - mine is fine, regardless of whether I start the tutorial from a parked plane or a plane with engines running.

The throttle isn't adjusted when the tutorial starts. So if you start the tutorial when in the previous case the throttle is at 0%, you kinda have a problem when you start up.

The throttle is in fact adjusted, but it seems a switch isn't executed so that throttle position doesn't affect RPM when you start from a parked plane. Pressing 's' once solved the issue for me.
Thorsten

Postby aplund » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:39 am

I'll look into the attitude indicator issue. Maybe its due to not resetting something after upgrading.

When do you press 's'? Before starting the tutorial or after.
aplund

Postby aplund » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:25 am

Well, in any case, whatever it happening at the start of the tutorial, I generally enter a steep decent and cannot recover. There seems to be multiple issues which case this, but I cannot put my finger on exactly what they all are.
aplund

Postby gsagostinho » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:39 pm

The attitude indicator will get unreliable if you are spinning like crazy, and that's a feature.
gsagostinho

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Well, in any case, whatever it happening at the start of the tutorial, I generally enter a steep decent and cannot recover.

I can't reproduce that one either. I start the tutorial with the engine not really running okay, but with enough energy to last for another 30 seconds just gliding ahead. You must be actively doing something to get into the descent.
Thorsten

Postby aplund » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:35 pm

Maybe try restarting the tutorial after crashing the tutorial spectacularly, and not adjusting any controls. I've been using the keyboard for control.

The first time I load it, I find it is OK. Restarts are problematic.
aplund

Next

Return to Development