Board index FlightGear Development New features

Wildfire simulation

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Wildfire simulation

Postby AndersG » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:35 pm

My cellular automaton based wildfire simulation has been added to FlightGear/CVS. :)

The configuration dialog available from "Environment->Wildfire settings":

Enabled: Fire simulation on/off. Cycling Enabled resets the fire simulation.
Share over MP: When set fire events, ignition and fire fighting, are sent/received over the MP network.
Show 3d models: Guess.
Crash starts fire: If your aircraft crashes somewhere inflammable there will be a fire.
Report score: Copilot reports success/failure of firefighting actions.
Save on exit: Save the fire event log when FlightGear exits. (Experimental)
Load Wildfire log: Load and execute a save fire event log. (Experimental)

Huge fires can be quite expensive in terms of fps drop.

The crash tender is available here (3d model by Alexis Bory, the very crude FDM and other stuff by me):
http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/misc/WildFire/

The last version in old/ probably works on 1.9.0 (except for Share over MP which won't work). If you want to try it read the install instructions in the README carefully.

Cheers,

Anders
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Re: Wildfire simulation

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:26 am

Hi,
Wonderful! I knew it was coming in Soon, after I read your conversation on IRC! I'll Try it out with the next update!
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Gijs » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Magnificent Anders! This is wat lots of people have been waiting for (actual crash if you crash).
Thank you so much, very nice!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby BigFour » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:14 am

So the fires spread?... very creative use of a cellular automaton. Can't wait to try it out.
BigFour

Postby simstick » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Can't wait to see it on MP. I crashed with it set and the fire spread in the grass. It is a frame eater but it's worth it.
In FlightGear anything is possible with enough time and Nasal. -Stuart 2008
Member Island Virtual Airways a Flightgear VA.
simstick

Callsign: simstick IVA010

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi,
A new Binary was up today, and i updated, eagerly waiting for the Wildfire :twisted: . I made a little fire around KSFO, was awed, and then exited. Then I checked MPMap, found Melchior at Nellis, went there with My OH-1. After a bit flying around and a slight malfunction with Melchiors Joystick, he called the wildfire.ignite() function. I had already turned off Wildfire, as an earlier fire lowered my FPS. When Asked by Melchior whether I see his fire, I turned on My wild fire, and behold!
The Fire was Everwhere, East west North South...surely it cant spread so fast!
The Pretty Airport was in Fumes!
Fire,Fire Go Away!
Ahhh....surely Melchior cant be this Bad :lol:

If this is a bug(which i am almost sure it is), I hope it is solved soon!
And Even while the wildfire was turned off, I had Lag, and each time it Lagged, I saw the soot Model Everywhere for that lag duration and then, gone!. And Also in the pics above, you can see soot model.
Anyways, Its Nice Feature!
Fahim Dalvi

Postby Gijs » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:03 pm

I don't have the lag problem, but indeed the fire spreads to fast. Within a few seconds the fire is 5 "tiles" large. Will I think it should take a few minutes to reach such a size...
Btw, does the fire stops (or spreads less quick) when it's raining? Would be a nice feature?
But afterall this is a great addon!
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby tulcod » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Gijs wrote:I don't have the lag problem, but indeed the fire spreads to fast. Within a few seconds the fire is 5 "tiles" large. Will I think it should take a few minutes to reach such a size...
Btw, does the fire stops (or spreads less quick) when it's raining? Would be a nice feature?
But afterall this is a great addon!

FYI, rain doesn't stop a serious fire IRL.
tulcod

Postby AndersG » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Fahim Dalvi wrote:Hi,
A new Binary was up today, and i updated, eagerly waiting for the Wildfire :twisted: . I made a little fire around KSFO, was awed, and then exited. Then I checked MPMap, found Melchior at Nellis, went there with My OH-1. After a bit flying around and a slight malfunction with Melchiors Joystick, he called the wildfire.ignite() function. I had already turned off Wildfire, as an earlier fire lowered my FPS. When Asked by Melchior whether I see his fire, I turned on My wild fire, and behold!
The Fire was Everwhere, East west North South...surely it cant spread so fast!

Hi,

I'm not sure what went wrong. When you disabled the fire, did you do that with the Enabled checkbox or with the 'Show 3d models' checkbox. The latter would have allowed your old fire to keep burning unseen (and grow very large).
Disable and reenabling the Enabled checkbox should reset wildfire completely.

There are some indications that 3d models can leak somehow - I have seen fps impact in a burned area even after resetting wildfire (and having no visible traces).

/Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:54 am

Hi,
Well, I had Disabled Everything. Wildfire, Share over MP(In the fear of disturbing other's flight!) and 3D-Model!
Fahim Dalvi

Postby Eagle3000 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:22 pm

I need some help. How do I install this thing?
Eagle3000

Postby AndersG » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Eagle3000 wrote:I need some help. How do I install this thing?

If you use FlightGear/CVS you already have it installed.
If you use 1.9.1, get the archive (from the old subdirectory here http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/misc/WildFire/ ) and read the install instructions in the README file. I'm not 100% sure it will work in 1.9.1 (sharing over MP definitely won't work).

/Anders
AndersG

Postby redneck » Mon May 18, 2009 9:16 pm

I'd like to install this, but I don't understand those subdirectory things too well. Is there an easier way to get the files I need? I found the installation instructions, but I can't even find wildfire.nas.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby AndersG » Mon May 18, 2009 9:26 pm

redneck wrote:I'd like to install this, but I don't understand those subdirectory things too well. Is there an easier way to get the files I need? I found the installation instructions, but I can't even find wildfire.nas.

Did you fetch the archive?
http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/mis ... 111.tar.gz

/Anders
AndersG

Postby redneck » Mon May 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Thanks. A direct link to the download really helps. I'm just not quite sure what to do with PBY-Catalina.diff and menubar.diff. I'm just using the the latest OSG version, not CVS.
Well, I got it. It says that it's working in the console. I put the models in the right place, and I don't see any fires when I crash, even though it says that a fire has started. Maybe if I knew what to do with menubar.diff that would help.
EDIT: well, I got the fire to work. I just hadn't crashed hard enough or flammable enough it seems.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Next

Return to New features