Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Propellers not turning on second monitor

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Propellers not turning on second monitor

Postby marksummerfield » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:19 pm

Ubuntu 14.10, Flightgear 3.4, Nvidia GTX960

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help. I run Flightgear using dual computers. The main computer runs dual screens showing the view from the cockpit. A second computer runs Flightgear with FDM=null showing a view of the aircraft from outside ie chase view or something and FGpanel for instruments on a second monitor. All works brilliantly really - but I notice that for some aircraft the propellers on the second monitor remain stationary when the motors are started on the main computer (where the propellers always rotate when started). All other aspects of the aircraft appear to be transmitted to the second computer ie attitude, flaps go up and down and rudder and wheels move as expected - just the propellers get ignored! (propellers move on the second computer when it is running Flightgear on its own as a normal system).
C172 - propellers rotate on both computers
DHC6 - propellers do not rotate on second computer
DHC8 - propellers do not rotate on second computer
DHC2 - propellers rotate on both computers
C130 - propellers rotate on both computers

So I'm guessing that it's an aircraft problem rather than a generic Flightgear problem. However I don't know where to begin to try and solve it and wondered if someone who has built an aircraft could provide some advice. I'm not a Nasal programmer but I understand a bit of code - but not enough to know where to look or what to change if I found it. Any help appreciated.

Mark
marksummerfield

Callsign: MS66
Version: 2020.3.6

Re: Propellers not turning on second monitor

Postby daveculp » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:47 pm

The C-172, DHC-2, and C-130 are using "engines/engine[n]/rpm" to animate the props. The others use "engines/engine[n]/n2". I believe the latter does not get sent over the net FDM struct.
daveculp

Callsign: DCulp
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Hooray » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:51 pm

For background/additional info, and possible workarounds, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Property_Tre ... ol_Slaving
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby marksummerfield » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm assuming that it is more than just a question of changing the /n2 to /rpm in the ...Aircraft/dc6/Models/dhc6.xml file. I see that /n2 is also referenced in ..../aircraft/dhc6/dhc6.xml and who knows where else, so I expect this was just the choice of the developer at the time. I have read the property tree/ native controls etc tips but I think it's really beyond me for now - I don't have enough background on how it all works. I think I can live with non whirring propellers until I fell a bit more adventurous. Previous experience tell me it it is relatively easy to convert an almost perfect system into one that doesn't work at all with relative ease if you don't know what your are doing.

Mark
marksummerfield

Callsign: MS66
Version: 2020.3.6

Postby Hooray » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Actually, if the corresponding animations work correctly over multiplayer (or even just the replay/flight recorder system), it should be relatively straightforward to look up the corresponding properties and fix up the aircraft configuration accordingly - especially in conjunction with the docs on the wiki.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Graphics