Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft Liveries

Livery database

Discussion of aircraft textures and liveries

Re: Livery database

Postby Lydiot » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:57 am

Not sure if this is possible, but it'd be nice if one could download all liveries for one aircraft at once. I notice that at times people start flying a specific new plane that I'm not really interested in flying myself, but of course I want to see other people, but it can be a slight nuisance to have to download all liveries to cover all possibilities.

Just a thought.
Lydiot

Postby Gijs » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:26 am

Nice idea! So nice, that it's been on my todo list for over a year now :-)
The current setup of the database does not allow me to easily group liveries in packages. Given that we'll sooner than later have a download manager built into FlightGear, I expect all liveries to be included with their respective aircraft in the future. Not sure if it's worth spending any time trying to port the database...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby Lydiot » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:54 pm

So just so that I understand it correctly: You're saying that the folder structure (for example) makes it cumbersome to group it for easy extraction/installation? At the most basic level all I'm thinking is that there's one folder that contains all "low level" files for all liveries. So one just grabs that instead of the individual ones.

Would there be a point in having some upload all of one plane in one .zip file in a thread for example (size permitting)? In other words; if I spend time to download all 747 liveries and then just .zip that up I could post that so that someone else could just grab that file instead. And then someone who gets all of a different plane can post that up, be it in a thread or whatever...?

I'm just thinking out loud here....
Lydiot

Postby Gijs » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:19 pm

That's possible (I can even do that on the server), but we would have to update the package every time a new livery is added. That's all possible, but like I said, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.
Gijs

Postby Lydiot » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:21 pm

I understand it's a hassle for whomever does the consolidation. I would think the initial work to get it done would be worse than subsequent updates since there's less per update. But I think it'd be beneficial for any user who downloads the stuff though. Look at it this way; If I want to fly multiplayer and see not just generic liveries for other players then I'd have to download all liveries for each aircraft to be 'sure' I got it all. So just picking a few of the most common:

Airbus 320 - 33 liveries
Beechcraft - 28 liveries
Boing 777ER - 56 liveries
Boing 747 - 40 liveries
DHC-6 - 64 liveries

So I could get all liveries for five aircraft with five downloads, or, as it is now, 33+28+56+40+60 = 217 downloads!

And that's just five aircraft.

But either way, you say it'll be automatic in the future, so do you have any idea of roughly when that'll be?

And do you think we (I) should try to start a thread where we can attach (can we attach it?) .zip's with all liveries per plane?
Lydiot

Postby berkut » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Just to ask,when is the next livery database update?

Thanks.
A winner is a dreamer who never gives up...
berkut

Callsign: Berkut
Version: 2017 3 1

Postby berkut » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:47 pm

Anyone willing to update the livery database?

Regards.
berkut

Postby Gijs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:55 pm

The plan is to move the liveries over to the SVN repository, together with the aircraft. Possibly to allow download of liveries through the aircraft center, or at least per aircraft. Making the current manual installation procedure superfluous. There are some liveries still to be submitted to the current database, but in the mean time I'm working on the not-so-far future ;-)
Gijs

Postby berkut » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:13 pm

OK. I 'm asking cause I have a few liveries submitted so can't wait to see them published.

Regards.
berkut

Postby flyingfisch » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:45 am

Instead of SVN, why not put it on GitHub, build a web frontend to search fro liveries, and have people fork the repo to add new liveries, then issue a pull request which is approved by the core team?
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

IRC name: ffisch
Version: 3.0

Postby Gijs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Well, the aircraft center is developed to work with SVN, which is where the aircraft are hosted now. I think it makes sense to use the same infrastructure for liveries. FlightGear comes with built-in cross platform SVN support; I don't think there's something similar for Git. Also, Git isn't particularly good at hosting binary files, like textures. And finally, Git merge requests would require contributors to clone the complete livery set (all 1100+), just to add one more.
Gijs

Postby flyingfisch » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:48 pm

Ah ok, understood. :)
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

IRC name: ffisch
Version: 3.0

Postby lomar » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:46 pm

well, sorry for asking this, but i've sent some liveries to the database this weekend, but they weren't submitted yet. I just wanted to ask if there's some kind of problem with them, if i have to change something in order to them to get accepted. I know that maybe there can have happened some problems with my liveries, and i just wanted to ask it, because i got a little disappointed in not seeing them there after the update.
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby Gijs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:43 pm

I didn't finish the backlog yet, as I had to take a break. Don't worry, I can see a couple of yours in the list.
Gijs

Postby lomar » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:27 pm

thanks Gijs
sorry for taking your time here :)
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly