Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

Any guide for committing new translation for FGRun 3.4

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

Any guide for committing new translation for FGRun 3.4

Postby uniuwo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:01 am

Hi, all
I've prepared Simplified Chinese translation for FGRun 3.4.
But I'm not clear how to commit it, to where or to whom.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
uniuwo

Re: Any guide for committing new translation for FGRun 3.4

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:23 pm

That will not be used sadly, as FGRUN is being replaced by a QT5 based launcher. Someone should be able to help you to translate it possibly...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:50 pm

I jolly well hope not! I hate that launcher, and moreover it doesn't include much in the way of settings, which means with that, you'd have to go into the fg prefs file--in short, a TREMENDOUS bother.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:14 pm

I'm afraid so, I don't like it myself. It might look nice in the first page, but the settings page is pathetic.

Developers, any chance that you could have an option in the installer with something like,
Do you want a more stylish and simpler launcher (reccomended)
Or an older launcher, with more options
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby clrCoda » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:32 am

When FG starts shipping without FGrun, that doesn't mean you won't be able to use FGrun.
FGrun will still be able to launch 3.6.

I suppose what is being complained about is that FGrun had ( only some ) of the options that could be switched on or off as part of it's gui. The rest of the options available in flightgear, it's even harder to add them in FGrun than in Qt5 and Qt5 is better at training a newb how to make these option changes in the situation that starts FG without a launcher on the command line.

Really the only thing any of the launchers provide of any use that you don't get from the simulator itself is that it is easier for someone to use a launcher to get the listings of planes and starting positions. FGrun makes some of the options more difficult to add even tho many options are just checkboxes, this is not nearly complete. The rest of the available options are not part of the FGrun gui.

Qt5 makes one design for each operating system. Makes switching every option consistent and teaches how to do so in a command line only situation. Finding these options is easier because it's just a link right on the Qt5 launcher. It's "smaller": less pages, adds features that FGrun doesn't have. Looks better than FGrun and somewhere in this forum we can find people complaining that FGrun looks like ancient 90's software. I suppose that means there are people that "hate" fgrun too.

Qt5 makes helping people with launch problems easier as well. From 3.6 onward, Mac, Windows, and even linux if they so desire to use a launcher rather than the command line, will all be able to use the same thing, making it easier to help each other.

It's one thing to say one "hates" a thing. Clearly another to say why and list those reasons so that such disliked things can be addressed. No one can guess why someone "hates" something without knowing why.

Saying "I hate" this or that without saying why is just evidence of being lazy with "argument in the philosophical" sense. That is, not being willing to use your words to express why you would like to see something changed, or saying what changes you would make to a thing. The rest of us have to guess what it is you actually hate and then try to provide something you don't hate and have to wait for you to see the next thing we create and hope you don't hate it and don't know what to change because you only say that you hate or love a thing. Make sense?

--Best regards
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby uniuwo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks All.

I've read there would be a Qt GUI shipped. But currently I want to contribute to FGRun 3.4 which will last one or more years on Linux distributions such as Debian.
I'll try the new GUI when FG 3.6 is ready.
uniuwo

Return to FGRun