Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Bombardier CRJ700 series/CRJ900 replacement

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Bombardier CRJ700 series/CRJ900 replacement

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:45 am

@hamza
https://github.com/Skyop/CRJ700-family/pull/3

D-JSB already did send an standing PR.
He is out of contact for a while

Best,
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:23 am

let's try our best to contact him and see what he does, as aircraft cannot afford to be unmaintained. let's wait and see.
hamzaalloush

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:26 am

well atm D-JSB is the "maintainer"
He has done a lot of work since December 2014, and thus I think is unfair to him saying the aircraft is "unmaintained"
I would be happy to try more finding Skyop, but D-JSB even send several emails to him AFAIK.

Best,
IH-COL

On the other topic. Is every aircraft "maintained"? Because, I feel most aircraft can/must afford be unmaintained. We just (FG I mean) don't have enough man-force, in my humble opinion.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:35 am

i wasn't aware that D-JSB took care of the aircraft on the FGADDON repository, this is what i meant by "upstream", as opposed to the "development" repository, that's currently held by Skyop, the original creator.
hamzaalloush

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:37 am

IAHM-COL wrote in Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:26 am:On the other topic. Is every aircraft "maintained"? Because, I feel most aircraft can/must afford be unmaintained. We just (FG I mean) don't have enough man-force, in my humble opinion.

yes, it's a grey area, but there must be at least some communication involved by the developers, for it to be considered "maintained". as i recall, it was on the mailing list that this statement was made and further clarification on this area is welcomed.
hamzaalloush

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:46 am

Now I see what you mean :D
Thanks for clarifying..
Indeed, I don't know if D-JSB has access to FGAddon. As a matter of fact, I believe Skyop does not as well...

What I was trying to clarify on my side is that to my knowledge D-JSB has done all reasonable effort to make skyop aware of these improvements... but skyop is off the line as it appears.

On the other hand, Henning (D-JSB) is doing a fantastic job on all levels. Technically he is improving this great series a lot. And humanistically he is very easy to talk to, very openminded, and responds really fast to request, petitions, Pull requests, etc.

Best,
IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby jsb » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:37 am

I tried several times to contact him on different chanels, but I believe Skyop is not active any more.
If he does not show up again I intend to take care of the CRJ 700 familiy and I am sure there is a way to get it upstream.
This aircraft is far to nice, we cannot leave it unattended :-)
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB
Version: next

Postby clrCoda » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:57 am

Excellent, Israel. Just verified the global versions of the 1000 and 1000er load in sim without immediate sim crash. Well done :)

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:50 pm

hi,

i got this reply from Ryan (Skyop) within one hour of me contacting him by e-mail,

i asked if he minded for further work on his aircraft:

skyop wrote:Hi Hamza,

Not at all, after all FG is open-source! Some people are rather
protective of "their" aircraft, but I am not one of them...

So sorry for being unreachable for the past year or so. I know this
isn't much of an excuse, but I became "burned out" with FG development
awhile ago and with real-life and university work closing in, there just
hasn't been much spare time to go around - and that gets snapped up by
other hobbies of mine.

I've glanced through that forum thread, I'm glad to see that you folks
have picked up development of this neat little aircraft. Please tell
Henning that I'm sorry for missing his messages. I did see his pull
request, but his emails never reached my inbox, despite the fact that
all my old addresses were set to forward here.

Note - I do not have access to the new FGADDON repository (I'm so out of
the loop I had to look that up) either, so you're free to continue your
work on the CRJ700 series there.

Regards,
Ryan Young

(My real name. "Miller" was an alias.)
hamzaalloush

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:02 pm

clrCoda wrote in Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:57 am:Excellent, Israel. Just verified the global versions of the 1000 and 1000er load in sim without immediate sim crash. Well done :)

--Ray

Great!
Happy to have hunted the issue down.
But, by the way, the 1000ER always loaded just fine. The conflict was on the 1000-EuroLite

Best,
IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:06 pm

@Hamza

Thanks a thousands times for getting in touch with Skyop.
I am happy to see on Skyop response he is my type of a crowd. Pulsing for an open source-open "community" - driven development as oppose to "I maintain this aircraft" type of monopolic approach.

Best,
IH-COL
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:53 pm

I think it's best if we try to persue getting D-JSB access rights for the aircraft on FGADDON, since we have Skyop's blessing now.
hamzaalloush

Postby jsb » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:06 pm

@Hamza

Thanks a lot. For some reason I never found his e-mail, so I tried here (forum) and github. Anyhow, it's good to have his statement :)
Just in case my last post gave some bad feeling, let me rephrase: "I intend to take care" should *not* mean I want to hijack his work nor "I maintain this aircraft (and nobody else)".
FG is the first open source project I ever contribute to, so I am happy to learn the different ways of collaboration :)
jsb

Callsign: D-JSB
Version: next

Postby hamzaalloush » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:24 pm

nothing in your previous posts suggests you said anything wrong, i think you are doing a good job with what resources you had available at the time. and i think rebasing the FGMEMBERS fork of the aircraft on the FGADDON repository is not an unreasonable effort to make.

i wonder why Skyop's rights wasn't transferred over to sourceforge...

OTOH, nothing wrong with having a group of maintainers overlooking the effort, especially when the creator has welcomed collaboration, so let's try to pull this off. i'll start by asking Skyop of his accounts on sourceforge, similarly we can contact someone to include you as a care-taker there for the aircraft as well.
hamzaalloush

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:42 pm

Good
Now on the technical side of this

1. Rebasing is good.
2.. Merging should not be done. Period. The git-svn system still has caveats, and FGAddon remains a SVN weirdness...
we don't want to risk messing their history.
3. In my opinion the optimum approach is neither rebasing nor merging, but creating a new commit that works like an "squashed"commit on the SVN FGAddon, but it brings the repo not only up2date but identical to that of the FGMEMBERs content.

The suggestion 3 is basically

1. Clear out the directory on the FGAddon
2. Copy the content from FGMEMBERs into the FGAddon
3. Commit : a single commit with a title such as "Squashing FGMEMBERs status in commit 526a50" or something of the like
and
4. Push

This way, the FGAddon content becomes identical to that of the indicated commit, with a single one clean commit

Keep in mind that FGMEMBERs will then take that commit downstream, and if done that way, the commit will exist with "empty" content. Which just imitates a merge commit in some ways... (the good ones).

Just a suggestion,
IH-cOL
IAHM-COL
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft