Board index FlightGear Development New features

Oculus Rift Support

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Oculus Rift Support

Postby ludomotico » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm

In case there is any other interested user, these are my advances so far:

- Using Oculus Rift DK2 and Oculus SDK 0.3 on Linux. FlightGear fully updated to current GIT. OpenSceneGraph 3.2.0

- Image: using stereoscopic mode, fullscreen, eyes distance=0. Obviously, the 3D effect is lost but the immersion is not. I'm still researching how applying the barrel distortion the Oculus needs to create the 3D effect, but my bet is still on an OpenSceneGraph plugin without any modification in FlightGear or SimGear (apart from the switch in the stereoscopic menu to activate this mode) I'll wait for the 0.4 version of the Oculus SDK for Linux.

- tracking position: you'll find below a standalone program that tracks the position of the headset and moves the view accordingly. This assumes FligthGear is running with a telnet server in port 9000. It seems the heading needs some reset if you put the headset on the table, so do not put the headset on the table while running the tracker :D I'm guessing and not really sure, but I think v0.3 of the SDK uses internal accelerometers to track the position and does not use the external camera for synchronization. I think the external camera is only supported from v0.4 of the SDK. I have only tested this program in Linux.

To build the position tracker, you have to download and build the Oculus SDK (v0.3 at the time of writing this, 0.4 version is not yet available for Linux) and change the paths of the Oculus SDK in the Makefile. Then, "make demo1" and run "demo1" with the Oculus and FligthGear activated.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13130748/oculus.zip

This is only a test, it is not optimized and full of debug messages and it uses some classes for Sockets with no clear license. Do not assume it is GPL because it is not!

Apart from the lacking of the 3D effect, flying with this needs some minutes to get used to. Once you get the idea, the feeling of complete immersion and being able to move your head to see the environment is awesome! The resolution is not the best and the pixels are very evident, but I'm still not sure if I'm using the max resolution the Oculus supports
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby fg4drt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi -

Is anyone still working on Oculus stuff?
fg4drt

Postby rustemy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:44 am

Or better yet... Is anyone developing for the "Google Cardboard" API?

I can sacrifice some time to beta test and give detailed bug reports. ;-)

For those that don't know or haven't heard anything about it, "Cardboard" is a cheap way of converting your android phone into a VR headset. The real cool thing is that it uses the built in sensors to track head movement. I've run all the demo's and can't wait for someone to get it running for FlightGear as it would bring flight simming to life at next to no additional cost in hardware.
rustemy

Version: PPA-Edge

Postby water_raptor » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 pm

For those interested I have had some limited success with Oculus' DK2 and Flightgear using Opentrack.

The current Build of Opentrack has a selection to use Oculus as a HMD tracking device. They have already made a "headtracking" protocol to c & p into your Protocol folder in FG.
-start tracking in Opentrack
-start FG
-change your view to stereoscopic and adjust your IPD...since it is on the Oculus the IPD is pretty much 0m unless you're a hammerhead shark.

Only real trouble outside of adjusting and inverting the output of Opentrack...is a persistent error in y translation that sits you ahead of your aircraft instead of in it...and its the same for different aircraft.

If anyone can find a way to change that...it would definitely be a leap forward for Opentrack, FG, and future Oculus users.

https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack
-Please give a shout out for these guys on their work

-water_raptor
water_raptor

Postby water_raptor » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:53 am

Editing the *ini file that Open track uses and changing the "0" offset in translation worked. Opentrack will only allow you to offset the distance up to 100cm, so the only way to force it further is to edit the ini.

-Hoping anybody knows how to apply the distortion shader...but at least I'm in the cockpit...

...standing by, K
water_raptor

Postby alexcherpi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks water_raptor for the work you did. Do you have something new ?
Else can you post the steps to have a working Oculus Rift DK2 on flightgear ? (on windows)

Thanks, Alex
alexcherpi

Postby geneb » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:06 pm

I'd like to know more about this as well. (DK2 on Windows)

g.
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
geneb

Postby water_raptor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:10 am

Sorry guys I'm in an intense school away from home (where my equipment is)

I haven't done any work on it since...however...
I wasn't very specific about where to get opentrack...
use this link....
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack
on the page that it opens you'll have to scroll down to the readme section and select the binary releases link to download the program.
-BT-
You can create different profile within opentrack...they're self explanitory.

Flightgear has to also be set in stereoscopic side by side mode....this is kinda hard to do...so I set up a shortcut key in my video driver to swap screens...that way I can switch screens back and forth while flightgear is running. The file menus at the top are not visible inside the oculus, s this saves huge headaches.

Keep the tread alive! There will be more people interested in the subject as it becomes more prevalent...Maybe somebody who knows how to program the barrel shader into OSG so the view doesn't skew when you rotate your head side to side...(this will make you very queezy)
w_r
water_raptor

Postby Hooray » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:38 am

you guys should set up a wiki page documenting the whole effort and what you've got so far, which will also help others to get started with this much more easily
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby nicole_yaoyao » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:01 am

Hi, I use https://github.com/bjornblissing/osgoculusviewer to do the job, but models and scenery cannot display both, and both of them without texture on. screenshot is like:http://i.imgur.com/HpRxugi.jpg?1,could anyone's result like mines? please give me some hint, very thankful
nicole_yaoyao

Postby water_raptor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:35 pm

Today and tomorrow I'm going to try and use "open track" and "virtual desktop" with flightgear. I haven't been into FG for a while but for some reason it keeps calling me back. I will let let you guys know how it goes. Virtual desktop has split screen support AND distortion. I'd love to see more support for VR with FG because it's just amazing! Stby, AR.
water_raptor

Postby nicole_yaoyao » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:45 am

I have successfully support oculus but still not stable.
http://imgur.com/mV6AoKg
nicole_yaoyao

Postby water_raptor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:08 am

Awesome! It works good on mine, i had to adjust the profile so that you are in the cockpit, besides that i see "skewing" of the image when tilting side to side
water_raptor

Postby adam_one » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Hello, first time poster, casual flier.

A ponderance, perhaps it should e in its separate thread but with the advent of smartphone VR-headsets, it seems like cheaper VR technology might be available to a lot more people a lot sooner, instead of just the rift.

So I just wanted to report some good news.
adam_one

Version: alpha

Postby mike4 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:54 pm

Anyone tried SteamVR? The HTC Vive should be available in April.
Swiss (non GPL) airports:
http://fgfs.sgier.com/
mike4

Version: GIT

PreviousNext

Return to New features