Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Has anyone used the fg2blender scripts for animations?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Has anyone used the fg2blender scripts for animations?

Postby japreja » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:19 am

Hi all, I came accross this youtube video with that has a link to an fg2blender script in its description. Aparently it can export animations from blender to flightgear xml. Does this script work well for animations in FG and does it still apply to FG 3.4.0+? I am leary of just downloading and running random scripts from the web.

Thanks in advance...
EDIT: Added a second video of the script exporting FG xml animations from the same developer.

japreja

Re: Has anyone used the fg2blender scripts for animations?

Postby japreja » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:47 am

Well, trying to do searches on this I am only finding results in french. Can someone who can read/write english and french translate this wiki page to english please.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Fr/fg2blender
japreja

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:30 am

have you tried dropping it on http://translate.google.com's input box? just drop the url there and it'll visit the site and translate it if it can...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby japreja » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:02 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:30 am:have you tried dropping it on http://translate.google.com's input box? just drop the url there and it'll visit the site and translate it if it can...

It translates most ok, but there are several words being lost or mistranslated because it just don't make much sense. For instance:

French wrote:Lorsque l'on fait de la modélisation, on est très concentré sur le maillage et pas forcément sur le script.

google translates to

Bad Translation?? wrote:When done modeling, we are very focused on networking and not necessarily on the script.

that just does not sound correct. Makes me wonder how much other mis-information google may be introducing during translation.
japreja

Postby Flying toaster » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:45 am

japreja wrote in Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:02 am:
French wrote:Lorsque l'on fait de la modélisation, on est très concentré sur le maillage et pas forcément sur le script.

google translates to

Bad Translation?? wrote:When done modeling, we are very focused on networking and not necessarily on the script.

that just does not sound correct. Makes me wonder how much other mis-information google may be introducing during translation.

The good translation is : when you are modelling, you tend to focus on the (3d) mesh and not necessarily on the script. The errors introduced by google are more because an automated translator will not try to find the meaning of a sentence when using words that can have different meanings according to the context. Mesh and network can be synonyms, it's just the context that makes network sound silly
Flying toaster

Postby japreja » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:17 am

@Flying toaster
Flying toaster wrote in Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:45 am:The good translation is : when you are modelling, you tend to focus on the (3d) mesh and not necessarily on the script. The errors introduced by google are more because an automated translator will not try to find the meaning of a sentence when using words that can have different meanings according to the context. Mesh and network can be synonyms, it's just the context that makes network sound silly

Thanks, that sounds better.

@All
I found some more youtube videos and french forum posts regarding this script (linked with google translate). This video uses english anotations so if you normaly turn them off you will want them on for this video. Also there is a second part to the video if you scroll down a few posts on that page.

I did notice that the script crashes blender 2.74 on import if you are not in "Cycles Render" mode.
japreja

Postby helijah » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:41 am

Hi all

This script might be interesting, unfortunately in 90% of cases it will make you assisted people not able to understanding what they do :(

I have already said and I repeat, the great tool at your disposal is and will always be a paper sheet, a pencil and your neurons.

An example: Made with a sheet of paper and a pencil :

Modern tools are good that if before, we can do it without the tool :)

Regards Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby japreja » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 am

helijah wrote in Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:41 am:Hi all

This script might be interesting, unfortunately in 90% of cases it will make you assisted people not able to understanding what they do :(

I have already said and I repeat, the great tool at your disposal is and will always be a paper sheet, a pencil and your neurons.

An example: Made with a sheet of paper and a pencil :

Modern tools are good that if before, we can do it without the tool :)

Regards Emmanuel

lmao, If I had a way to delete your post from my topic I would. You can clearly see that I have only been here about 1 month as displayed ------->
Simply the phrase of stating " you assisted people not able to understanding what they do" gives me the impression that you are somewhat ignorant and not helpfull at all. Then you are assuming that I am unwilling to learn. Your few words have already told me alot about the type of person you are and your willingness to offer helpfull information, I could realy care less how much/little you know or how many posts you have made in a single, or multiple, forums. Just because I don't show you "My pencil and paper" doesn't mean I dont have the neurons to use them.

I will be searching control panel for settings specificaly to block/ignore your comments in my topics, hows that for using neurons :P
japreja

Postby Johan G » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Ehum. How about if you people would make a little bit more positive assumptions about each others posts. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:32 am

Japreja,

I believe that Helijah's post is comes off the way it does exactly because of the fact he has to use Google translate to write his thoughts in English, Now isn't that an irony.

Also our honorable Mr. Barranger has been around the block for more than a few trips in the realm of 3D creation, animation and coding.

Just a FYI...
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby japreja » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:02 pm

I've already taken care of it by blocking as noted in my reply. It is clear that he was posting just to criticize, regardless of any mistranslation by google. I am done with the matter.

Is the "René Nègre" who made the script here on the FG forums? I whould like to find out the status of development on fg2blender and if the git repository has been moved to a new location due to the status of gitorious or just dropped completely.

I will try serching some more over on the blender forums before I start going over the code. It might be better to just seperate the .ac import/export and use the ac3d importer/exporter for this plugin to try and avoid all the errors.
japreja

Postby ctesc356 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:45 pm

ctesc356

Postby japreja » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks for posting that, run is the same person, "Rene Negre", who wrote this so I sent an email. Aside from that I am finding I might not get a reply from him if what I have been translating is correct and true, sadly :cry: But it would explain why development has stopped.

I can only hope it is not true but will keep an update here when I can confirm it.
japreja

Postby japreja » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Well I can't confirm that it is the same Rene Negre but I have been finding Obituary postings in French of or Rene Negre of France who passed away at the age of 87 on June 6th 2014 Obituary (In French) It seems he was also an author and a Professor according to other searches.

I hope this is not the same person but IF it is, it would explain why his postings abruptly stopped in december/january of 2013/2014 which is just before the Obituary Posting.

I'll let this post sit for a few days incase this script writer is a different person.
japreja

Postby Patten » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:31 am

japreja wrote in Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 pm:Well I can't confirm that it is the same Rene Negre but I have been finding Obituary postings in French of or Rene Negre of France who passed away at the age of 87 on June 6th 2014 Obituary (In French) It seems he was also an author and a Professor according to other searches.

I hope this is not the same person but IF it is, it would explain why his postings abruptly stopped in december/january of 2013/2014 which is just before the Obituary Posting.

I'll let this post sit for a few days incase this script writer is a different person.

Hi,
Rene goes well, his last connection to the PAF forum dates from 06-19-2015.
http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com ... gear#23260
http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com ... lts=topics
His script works perfectly even with the 2.74 version of Blender.
This script is magic, for example you can even import the .set the plane, and import all of it in Blender.
But these are tools of the 21st century, not prehistory, and further, the tip of my pencil is broken. :mrgreen:
Patten

Callsign: Patten
Version: 2018.2.0

Next

Return to Aircraft