Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

Interesting Videos

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Interesting Videos

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:03 am

Not videos, but an interesting series of photos for an airliner's adverts..

"Swimming with Jets"

http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/swimming-with-jets-a-stunning-photo-series/
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby pommesschranke » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:13 pm

Johan G wrote in Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:28 pm:While being (relatively) simple, this is an amazing home built cockpit. In the end of the video it is even mounted on a moving platform. 8)

I did meet Roland van Roy twice at the FSWeekend in Lelystad. He is very friendly and very talented with mechanics.
Roy's website: http://www.simprojects.nl
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Johan G » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:36 am

An interesting talk in many ways: Google I/O 2009 - The Myth of the Genius Programmer

Two interesting quotes:
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:It is a learned skill to give constructive criticism, whether be it a code review or just a design, a discussion on design, and to take criticism as well. ... It is something we should all aspire to do. How to do it in a nice way.

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:When failure happens, be ready for it. Don't freak out. Document. What did you learn from it? What are you gonna do different next time?
If you can do that mental shift and say: "I'm gonna fail and it's no big deal. No fear." And thats fine. You live on, you learn.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Nick R » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:26 am

Your second quote is what I remember of the video when watching it half a year ago. Nice you brought it up. :)
Hangar: fgpipistrel.org
Modelling the Pipistrel Virus SW (github, website)
Nick R

Callsign: NickR
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby Philosopher » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:46 am

Great talk – lol I indulge on that "Brain Crack" quite often, great ideas stuck in the mud IMO ;)

Personally I started feeling guilty about halfway through the talk. One of the reasons why I haven't been contributing to FG is my own project which I just "released" to my closest friends in the past few days, coming out of my man cave :P. I know few programmers who would help me, and my code documentation is very bad, making it that much harder to have others contribute. (Code review would be a great blessing! sadly I have none....) And it's hard to explain what is does and what it can do without it. So I released it way too late and was too private about it – maybe I should have seen the talk a year ago ;). Nevertheless, I think it will survive because several friends/potential users are very interested in it. Now, to be more public.... :(
Philosopher

Postby Johan G » Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 pm

A small TSR-2 treasure chest: :)

Note: I am quite impressed that with only one afterburner on it could outaccelerate a Lighting on both afterburners. :mrgreen:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Sat May 30, 2015 12:58 am

Space Shuttle eye candy. 8)

Space Shuttle Discovery UP-CLOSE & INSIDE (45 min). From someone in a group visiting the Space Shuttle Discovery in June 21, 2011, while it was in the process of being decommissioned.

Photos taken while she filmed are at the Flickr album @ Space Shuttle Discovery Up-Close.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby japreja » Sat May 30, 2015 2:31 am

You might like this video of "Project 1794" :)

documentation can be found -> http://www.secretsdeclassified.af.mil/n ... =123326109 :shock:
japreja

Postby chris_blues » Sat May 30, 2015 3:03 am

@Johan: Thanks for sharing! Though I got a little seasick from time to time... :D

Edit:
Funny thing, the Avrocar. With modern computers as a fly-by-wire system might make such a vehicle even better. Though the ingestion problems would still persist.
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Johan G » Sat May 30, 2015 10:31 pm

At 7:22 and forward: :twisted:
We were now confident in the vehicles capability to negotiate appreciable obstacles, and a rugged course, partially gravel and partially grass, with a 3 ft deep ditch, was selected for the next flights.

At 8:04: :lol:
Again the Avrocar covered the course successfully, becoming as far as we know the first ground effect machine to negotiate obstacles of this nature.

I guess the point was either how narrow one defined "ground effect machine" or that none of the other hovercraft of the time had been documented while passing a ditch. :wink:
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby Johan G » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 am

Since FlightGear is now capable of spaceflight, some questions about orbital mechanics and orbital maneuvers may turn up, so I dug up two YouTube videos that may help understand the subject:

First a TL;DR* one, centered on the "game" Kerbal Space Program (KSP), "Orbital Mech 101 (HD) - A Kerbal Space Program tutorial" (15 min):

A NASA film aimed at college students (though made easier by the above one), "Space Flight: The Application of Orbital Mechanics" (36 min). Apart from being more detailed in general it additionally discusses the Newtonian laws, some Space Shuttle specifics and some typical satellite orbits and their applications:

Notes related to the last one:
  • At 23:39 min the narrator says "posigrade" instead of "prograde". I do not remember having heard "posigrade" before.
  • The space shuttle can only change the inclination by +-3 degrees when already in orbit!

He, he: Regarding KSP, Randal Munroe, the author of the xkcd webcomic, once worked for NASA** but have noted he learned orbital mechanics from KSP:

xkcd #1356: Orbital Mechanics

* Too long; did not read
** Though he worked with robotics
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Postby HJ1AN » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:57 am

Oh wow, that chart. Hah.

I have to say I have an interest in space and spaceflight for the longest time but it's KSP that really made me understand orbital mechanics (or at least, how it works - I'm still pretty bad at KSP especially orbital rendezvous or planetary intercept). But it was good enough to know just how demanding spaceflight is - I have a friend who didn't play KSP and also interested in space stuff, but he has zero idea what I'm trying to convey sometimes when talking about actual spacecraft maneuvers which I understood from KSP.
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:34 am

then there's some of us who just get it... without schooling or games... numbers were always nothing more than just a game to me way back... i used to see patterns in the results and point them out only to confuse the teacher... not that i intended to confuse them but they of all people should have seen the patterns since they were teaching us what they supposedly knew... i still see the patterns but not as easily as i once did 40+ years ago... time may have advanced but not much else has... even these things we are using today for this communication are nothing more than really fancy calculators ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby chris_blues » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:52 am

I know what you mean! It's not exactly 40+ years ago, but 20... Confused me a lot, that the teacher wouldn't see the things I saw.... :P
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently! :)
Debian stable 64bit - i7 8x2.8GHz - 20GB RAM - GeForce GTS 450
Citation II
chris_blues
Retired

Callsign: chris_blues
Version: GIT

Postby Johan G » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:31 pm

I took the liberty to move the crosswind landings video to the topic Re: Accidents and Incidents / Amazing Landings & Take Offs.
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

PreviousNext

Return to Real aviation