Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Looking for aircraft with 'paper cut' bugs

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Looking for aircraft with 'paper cut' bugs

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 20, 2015 3:25 pm

IAHM, your list, is it a list of all planes? I dont see A330 200 but obviously it isnt gpl. A330 300 why is it there? Not gpl.? Explain your list?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

licenses

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 20, 2015 4:19 pm

The A330 300 in FGMEMBERs is not Omega95 version, but Prestes (the FGBR group version), which is GPL
FGMEMBERS currently only includes GPL aircraft, and is as completely in this category as I know of.
Creative Commons aircraft or aircraft which license is un-stated, are currently not present there.

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/A330-300

If you see in the README file left by Prestes, this work was licensed under GPL v3.0

AFAIK, A330 by Omega is currently unlicensed, but expecting a more complex set of licenses. I stand-by on this meanwhile.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Oh? Wow. Is the prestes any good?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Planes in FGMEMBERS are not there based solely on a recomendation of whether they are good or not.
They are there based on 2 conditions: 1) it is a Flightgear Aircraft; 2) It is licensed under GPL clauses.

By being GPL all of us have complete liberty upon testing them, and modifying them. This liberty makes them potentially the best.
I invite you to obtain it, fly it, improve it, and share these improvements. And let all these GPL aircraft fly! (ie, move forward).

To my knowledge, the "flyable" status of Omega is quite superior. But since Prestes is licensed in a way such that we (you, I, all) are free to make it better, its potential is much higher.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Fri May 22, 2015 9:51 am

I just sent this solve to another thread and realized it solves a paper cut bug for a slew of aircraft.

clrCoda wrote in Fri May 22, 2015 9:38 am:Look into the "instrumentation.xml" file of the effected plane that used to have ATIS but no longer does. See if you can find these definitions :

Code: Select all

<comm-radio>
    <name>comm</name>
    <number>0</number>>
  </comm-radio>

<comm-radio>
    <name>comm</name>
    <number>1</number>
  </comm-radio>

If those are not defined in your instrumentation.xml then add them copy/paste from here.
instrumentation.xml is usually in a planes "Systems" folder, but It might be else where.
If you can't find it in a "Systems" folder, try opening the -set.xml of the plane in a text editor and search for "instrumentation" and see if a path is defined for instrumentation.

If there is no tags in the -set.xml file
<instrumentation>
(some definitions and or path to an instrumentation folder )
</instrumentation>
looking sort of like that above then take the comm-radio definitions above and put them in the -set.xml inside <instrumentation> here </instrumentation> tags and make sure all of that is somewhere inbetween the <sim> stuff </sim> tags.

-- hope that helps someone
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby sanhozay » Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 am

If you are planning on adding that, it's best to add it right at the bottom of the instrumentation.xml file. Versions prior to 3.2 don't understand the comm-radio sections and they don't process anything after those tags.

I added these sections to a few aircraft and submitted patches without realising this bug existed for people running older versions. This is the way to do it:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... tation.xml

Another change that could probably go into a paper-cut list would be to check that the upper limit of the nav radio range is 136.975. For example, I did the ones in Aircraft/Instruments-3d:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... 6de69706b/
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Johan G » Fri May 22, 2015 10:21 am

sanhozay wrote in Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 am:If you are planning on adding that, it's best to add it right at the bottom of the instrumentation.xml file. Versions prior to 3.2 don't understand the comm-radio sections and they don't process anything after those tags.

Ouch. That is rather un-graceful degradation. It would be better if the parser degraded gracefully and just ignored unrecognized tags.

As we are speaking about past versions though, I hope that current versions handle such things better.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby sanhozay » Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 am

Johan G wrote in Fri May 22, 2015 10:21 am:As we are speaking about past versions though, I hope that current versions handle such things better.

I just tried a quick test with Flightgear/Simgear from next and adding an invalid but well-formed tag at the top of instrumentation.xml in an aircraft breaks all subsequent instrumentation.

EDIT: patch submitted to mailing list to prevent this problem in the future.
sanhozay

Postby Johan G » Fri May 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Great! :D I am not sure I should be surprised or not that it was not more complicated than that. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby clrCoda » Sat May 23, 2015 3:49 am

sanhozay wrote in Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 am:If you are planning on adding that, it's best to add it right at the bottom of the instrumentation.xml file. Versions prior to 3.2 don't understand the comm-radio sections and they don't process anything after those tags.

I added these sections to a few aircraft and submitted patches without realising this bug existed for people running older versions. This is the way to do it:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... tation.xml

Another change that could probably go into a paper-cut list would be to check that the upper limit of the nav radio range is 136.975. For example, I did the ones in Aircraft/Instruments-3d:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... 6de69706b/

My buddy, epilot, brought the 733classic back to life, he still uses 2series FG where as I and most of my VA pilots use 3series. I take epilot's planes and add the <comm-radio> patch and I provide both 2 and 3 series versions of the plane at GlobalVA for my pilots.

We tried moving the patch to the bottom of instruments.xml, but epilot says this still crashes sim. Are we doing something wrong?

Thanks -- Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby sanhozay » Sat May 23, 2015 9:32 am

The unrecognised comm-radio doesn't cause a crash, just breaks all subsequent instrumentation, i.e. dials don't move, knobs do nothing. Having said that, I've not gone back as far as v2.x to test.

On versions prior to 3.2, you don't need those comm-radio tags for ATIS, so if you are making a 2.x version, just leave them out.
sanhozay

Postby clrCoda » Sat May 23, 2015 10:39 am

That's precisely what we do, make two versions. I suppose I was hoping your recent reports would have meant we could have just one version with the comm-radio patch at the bottom of the file, but my buddy running 2.12 and 2.8 says doing so crashes sim.

I'm very happy about your work for future fg's that won't crash in this situation. :)

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby bugman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Here is anther update for the stereo sound file paper cut issue:

Hopefully the fixes will be completed in time for FG v.3.6.
bugman

Postby clrCoda » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:49 pm

I posted earlier in the thread about this, but got no response, so I thought an image might help.

All of these keyboard commands advertised in the Menu>Help>Common Aircraft Keys, have been broken sometime in the transition from the 2series to the 3series.

Custom Autopilots ( with the exception of epilots 737-300-CHT and even he has problems too) don't usually define these, have their own configurations often.

But Aircraft using Generic A/P used to use these advertise functions, and no longer do.

I submit that either we need to fix this problem by either fixing what ever broke this between updates, or we need to fix the Menu>Help>Common Aircraft Keys to show that those keyboard commands are no longer relevant.

Thanks
-- Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:52 pm

It will be nice to restore those.
But most people I am aware of fly by Joystick or in the worst case Mouse

still, as you said, it should work as announced, or not announce ;)

IH-COL
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAHM-COL
Retired

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft