Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

I have to laugh not to cry...

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: I have to laugh not to cry...

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu May 21, 2015 8:04 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Wed May 20, 2015 7:29 pm:Pro Flight Simulator is NOT Flight Gear, I’ve sent an email to Dan Freeman of Pro Flight Simulator 2015 to inquire: “Dan, Pro Flight Simulator 2015 seems to be based on Flight Gear. Could you explain why you’re charging for this?”

HIS REPLY:

Sorry Gilbert. I misread your post, as I am quoting here
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby gsagostinho » Thu May 21, 2015 8:05 pm

I know, that page looks like it was written by a 5-years old. Anyway, everything below the "*****************************" in my first post is from their website.
gsagostinho

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu May 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Facepalm! ( : ) )
Clearly terrible bussiness practices all over the place!
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby gsagostinho » Thu May 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Indeed :)
gsagostinho

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 pm

But Gilbert.
For 40 bucks I can sell you a newly texturized C172p for FG :P

(ROFL!)
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 pm

then Israel said "Terrible business practices all over the place!"

That only means there is room for someone to come along and "do it right".
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby gsagostinho » Thu May 21, 2015 8:13 pm

I am just waiting for those guys to announce that "their team of paid contributors (which are obviously better than unpaid ones) has just created a much more realistic version of the 172!"
gsagostinho

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu May 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Off course Ray
I mean, you can do the FG bussiness right!

Point people here: http://www.flightgear.org/download/
Let them know that is GNU Licensed and that the main distribution is free as in free beer and in free speech
Let them know that the license implies (ZERO) guarantee. But for sure a lot of fun!

Let them know that we are a thriving community of enthusiast working everyday to make it better. and develop it.

And let them know that the Flight Simulation Software World has not a second to compare to its awesomeness!

That's the FG business model made right
Last edited by IAHM-COL on Thu May 21, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm

gsagostinho wrote in Thu May 21, 2015 8:13 pm:I am just waiting for those guys to announce that "their team of paid contributors (which are obviously better than unpaid ones) has just created a much more realistic version of the 172!"

I just did. I am selling it to you for 40bucks! :D
Will you buy it? I really doubt it! (but I will buy you 40 dollars of beers for us to share if you choose to pay me 40 dollars for that cessnita!)

[Keep in mind I just lost a dearly friend to DUI driving --so I count on your hosting me too!]
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:31 am

Note: that is a FAKE image. Thanks to a yahoo answers generator. But I wish it was real.
Simply a joke.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:42 am

it wouldn't be so bad if the original ""question"" didn't have all those misspellings... makes it look like some drunk wrote it with their nose...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:46 am

NTF!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MIG29pilot » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:15 pm

That's pretty good--now rearrange proosimflightulator and you have an accurate (to my mind) description: SoPrimFlatulator.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby jaxsin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 pm

once they start distributing modified GPL software, they're required to share their source code modifications with the recipients if requested.

There in lies the problem with GPL licensed software. I remember Hisense did this with one of their tablets. They took the android core kernel and changed it ever so slightly to work on their device. Fine, but now release the code changes so others can see your work. The reason they won't is because it allows people like you and I to fix their POS products they ship out the door. We fought with Hisense for over a year before they finally decided to release the code changes upstream. Seeing as how we are the type of people to use OS software, we aren't likely the same people to pay thousands of dollars to take these companies to court and they know this. Also, I ask where in the GPL license does it say a time limit on when those changes need to be received upstream?

For all good the GPL does, it really hasn't solved much not that I have seen. Unless you are a fair and honest person with no personal gain involved
jaxsin

Postby Johan G » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 pm

jaxsin wrote in Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 pm:Also, I ask where in the GPL license does it say a time limit on when those changes need to be received upstream?

Nothing in the GPLv2 mentions contributing upstream. However, recipients have a right to access the source code, in order to preserve his or her rights. In essence not only (0) to run the program, but also (1) to study and change the program in source code form, (2) to redistribute exact copies, and (3) to distribute modified versions.

The minimum time limit on how long after getting the executable you have right to the source code, three years, can be found in section 3 of the GNU GPLv2 (my emphasis):
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
    a) [...]
    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
    c) [...]

Worth noting is that while there is no limit on the charge for the executable and/or a warranty (see section 1), the charge for the source code, if distributed separately, can only cover the cost of distributing it.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project