Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Project Ireland

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Project Ireland

Postby spencer.james » Tue May 19, 2015 1:01 am

Hi everyone

Need some help as this is doing my head in!

I'm currently working through some of the airports in Ireland. Northern Ireland's City of Derry and Belfast International have all had some work done on them. Belfast City and then the smaller airfields are next on the list, then onto the Republic of Ireland.

However I seem to have an issue when I test these airports. I get whopping big gaps between the land and the airport. The airport is sunk into the ground, but I have elevation set in WED.

For instance...

How can I fix this, or is this a terragear thing rather than a WED one?
ErinAir

Project Ireland - Republic of and Northern Ireland Airports - http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26292 - Coming soon
spencer.james

Callsign: ErinAir
Version: 3.4

Re: Project Ireland

Postby ludomotico » Tue May 19, 2015 7:07 am

Eevation is managed by terragear and terragear completely ignores any elevation you may set in WED. You have to calculate your elevations with terrafit before building the airports with getapts.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby spencer.james » Tue May 19, 2015 11:48 am

Thanks ludomotico

Ok, so next question... how do I get terrragear for Windows? The links on the wiki pages all seem to be dead.

Or is there an online page that can do this (simmilar to the online airport web generator)
ErinAir

Project Ireland - Republic of and Northern Ireland Airports - http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26292 - Coming soon
spencer.james

Postby ludomotico » Tue May 19, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm sorry, I don't know how terragear works in Windows. Creating a virtual machine inside Windows to run a Linux with the terragear tools seems easy.

If you used the online airport web generator to build your airport, you'll have the problem you described. The web generator is only for testing purposes and does not calculate elevations.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby spencer.james » Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Yeah, that makes sense.

OK, I will look at that later on. I have the GUI, so just need to find a way to get the windows version (if anyone has any ideas).

Failing that, is there anyone who can help roll out these updates once complete?
ErinAir

spencer.james

Postby radi » Tue May 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Wlbragg produced beautiful scenery and I think he's on Windows. Ask him for binaries.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby simbambim » Tue May 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby spencer.james » Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Cool, thanks guys.

I'll go through those instructions later on, and start to update airports where I can. I'll be doing layouts first, then updating buildings (once I figure out Blender).
ErinAir

spencer.james

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 20, 2015 3:10 pm

Hey mate! Good to see work on the Emerald Isle. Do remember to submit your objects to scenemodels.flightgear.org and your apt.dats to the xplane gateway (hopefully they will get into FG) if GPL once they are reasonableey finished, and if not GPL, try GitHub to share your work.
As an aside, EGAD is a small airport in NI and has a flying club. Is it planned?
Btw do you live in Ireland? I am currently in L**b**n (censored location) but will be going to South America, Venezuela for a year or two next week.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby spencer.james » Wed May 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Thank you legoboyvdlp!

Yep, EGAE is updated (although may go back and tweak it, as EGAA was the big learning curve). Then once they are done, plan to do after EGAC, EGAB and EGAD. My modeling skills leave a bit to be desired, but am picking up WED at a rate of knots! I've been adding hangars and lights etc to the various sites, EGAE is my pet one, as it is closed to where I am, and I use it all the time so know the airport very well.

I do indeed, I am just over the border in the Republic (though from the south of England origincally) in Donegal (which will be the first RoI airport, followed by Sligo and then work down the west coast).

Would be great to get all of the main airports in the island of Ireland up to scratch after the great work done with Dublin.

Yeah, all the layouts get submitted. Just need to develop my model skills now, unless anyone fancies having a go at doing the terminals and buildings in NI.
ErinAir

spencer.james

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu May 21, 2015 9:24 am

Yes, indeed! I hope to see your work appear soon ;)
legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:43 am

Oops, Spencer!
Double work alert...
I did all of the North's major airports (EGAA TO EGAE) , including EGAD according to the NATS charts.
It is submitted to the gateway. How are the models coming on?

Note: hopefully, by fall 16, the North will be fully ready for the Festival, assuming WS3.0 comes soon.
legoboyvdlp

Return to Scenery