Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

How to subscribe to the development mailing list

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

How to subscribe to the development mailing list

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri May 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Well as far as bringing this up on the Development lists most of my attempts to get a post through to SourceForge have failed to go through. Is it done through email? How can I address this to a larger group with the skills to possibly work on it if I'm finding the actual act of getting the message out doesn't work?
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Re: Looking for aircraft with 'paper cut' bugs

Postby bugman » Fri May 15, 2015 8:35 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Fri May 15, 2015 8:14 pm:Well as far as bringing this up on the Development lists most of my attempts to get a post through to SourceForge have failed to go through. Is it done through email? How can I address this to a larger group with the skills to possibly work on it if I'm finding the actual act of getting the message out doesn't work?

Just sign up here with these steps:

1) Add you email address and pick a password, then click on [subscribe]. If you want to instantly see responses, don't choose 'daily digest'. This option can be changed at any time.
2) Wait for a confirmation email (usually < 10 seconds, and a few minutes max). It will often be found in the spam folder. Then click on the link in that message.
3) Select your settings.
3) At the bottom there are two buttons - one to cancel the process, the other to subscript. Click on the correct one. This step is often forgotten!

Then you are on the mailing list and can post messages freely (anyone bringing in conflict will be kicked off pretty fast, but otherwise there's no problem). Then just discuss the problem - here for YASim - lay it out in as much detail as you can and show why you are interested in this. It will really help if you are willing to work on this too, even if it not to do with the code. Show that you want to help get this done and are not just asking for features. That may be enough to get this implemented. You'll find the right people there to point you to the heart of the problem. Oh, the list is extremely slow compared to the forums, so responses can sometimes take up to a week (much longer than that and you should probe with a response to your own message). For the FG mailing lists, it really only takes less than a minute to subscribe, and seconds to unsubscribe later on, if you so wish:

Edit: Oh, to post a message to the list, you simply send an email to flightgear-devel att lists.sourceforge.net after you have subscribed.
bugman

Version: next

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri May 15, 2015 8:37 pm

I've already signed up and I am in membership.. not to sound contrary but the instructions on how to post in the Developers lists isn't exactly well spelled out. My emails get bounced when sent to the listed addy.
LesterBoffo

Postby bugman » Fri May 15, 2015 8:46 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Fri May 15, 2015 8:37 pm:I've already signed up an am in membership.. not to sound contrary but the instructions on how to post in the Developers lists isn't exaclty well spelled out. My emails get bounced when sent to the listed addy.

If you get a bounced message about waiting for 'moderation', then the email address you send from is actually not subscribed to the list! Maybe one of the steps were not completed. Note that due to insane amounts of spam, 'moderated' messages often get lost in the huge list and are often accidentally thrown out with the spam. As for instructions for posting to a devel-list, apart from being nice and trying to do things productively there really isn't any instructions or 'correct' way to do this that I am aware of. A web search for "development mailing list etiquette" will find a few things. This Ubuntu community link might be helpful.
bugman

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri May 15, 2015 9:06 pm

I am not an Linux user, so what good is that link going to provide? I'm on a number of different forums for at least 14 years and understand posting ettiquette. Maybe I haven't had enough contact with the good folks on the mailing list to establish whether my ettiquette is passable with them, or not.. I try to be reasonably even tempered with folks.

I get dozens of emails from the developers list every day in my email inbox, I'm guessing I'm subscribed.

What next? I assume I send these through my email which is through Yahoo. Are Yahoo accounts on a list of spam with the developers lists?

You know, it kinda bothers when people otherwise assume that I'm doing something wrong when I've apparently done all the required hoop jumping to get into something that otherwise would be easily done.
LesterBoffo

Postby bugman » Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 pm

I'm only trying to work out what's going on - I don't know any of the details. The Ubuntu link is general for "instructions on how to post in the Developers lists", so I guess I misunderstood what that sentence was about.
bugman

Postby tikibar » Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 pm

I think the yahoo account might be the problem. I originally signed up on the dev list with a yahoo account and had problems sending. I inquired about it.

Just to let you know, John (and others), because of a change in Yahoo's DMARC policy, some mail providers will send mail from Yahoo addresses that went through a mailing list to spam. See http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141120/ ... lists.html for more info.
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Postby Bomber » Fri May 15, 2015 10:28 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Fri May 15, 2015 9:06 pm:
I get dozens of emails from the developers list every day in my email inbox, I'm guessing I'm subscribed.

I get maybe one mail a week......... it's a ghost town
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby sanhozay » Fri May 15, 2015 10:37 pm

The postings to the development mailing list are available here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... ear-devel/
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby durk » Fri May 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Bomber wrote in Fri May 15, 2015 10:28 pm:I get maybe one mail a week......... it's a ghost town

Must be a problem on your end: There were 114 postings on the developers list since May 1st. Hardly a ghost town at all.
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Postby bugman » Fri May 15, 2015 11:46 pm

tikibar wrote in Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 pm:I think the yahoo account might be the problem. I originally signed up on the dev list with a yahoo account and had problems sending. I inquired about it.

Just to let you know, John (and others), because of a change in Yahoo's DMARC policy, some mail providers will send mail from Yahoo addresses that went through a mailing list to spam. See http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141120/ ... lists.html for more info.

:shock: Yahoo really did something so stupid? That would explain some of the problems I have seen with my own Mailman mailing lists. Good to know!
bugman

Postby Hooray » Sat May 16, 2015 2:04 am

@bomber: check your subscription mode - you may only be receiving a summary after all
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Johan G » Sat May 16, 2015 2:19 am

Huh!? Now when you mention it I remember seeing the IETF* mailing list subject line Yahoo breaks every mailing list in the world including the IETF's in my search results (as usual while looking for something completely else...).

Also sounds a bit like a bad way to resolve other problems: :roll:
Lucian Constantin, IDG News Service wrote:[Laura Tessmer Atkins] believes that Yahoo began advertising a “reject” policy because of a recent attack against Yahoo users that involved attackers compromising yahoo.com email accounts and sending unauthorized emails to their contacts.

* IETF: Internet Engineering Task Force, the body that governs most standards related to Internet, often published as RFCs
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Bomber » Sat May 16, 2015 10:02 am

Sorry my mistake wrong dev mailing list.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby Johan G » Sat May 16, 2015 10:44 am

Oops. [Things] happens. ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to The FlightGear project