Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FlightGear Portable  Topic is solved

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FlightGear Portable

Postby H1r2y » Thu May 07, 2015 2:03 am

How can I move and direct FlightGear ontomy USB/Flash Drive/Thumb Drive or any solid drive (such as a SD card) so I can run it anywhere?
H1r2y

Re: FlightGear Portable  

Postby elgaton » Thu May 07, 2015 8:17 am

Though there is no explicit "portable mode" in FG, you can perform the following steps (I assume you're on Windows):
  1. Install FlightGear on your machine, as usual. Note: the setup program currently installs the 32-bit version of FlightGear on 32-bit systems and the 64-bit version on 64-bit systems. So, if you create the FlightGear USB key on a 64-bit system, you will not be able to run it on a 32-bit system; on the contrary, if you run it on a 32-bit system, you will be able to run it on all computers, but FlightGear will not be able to take advantage of all the available memory (possibly leading to crashes).
  2. Copy C:\Program Files\FlightGear to the USB key. From now on, I'll refer to the FlightGear folder you copied to the key as the "FG key folder".

To run FlightGear from the key:
  • If the machine you're running FlightGear on does not have OpenAL/the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable installed, run <FG key folder>\bin\oalinst.exe or <FG key folder>\bin\vcredist_x86.exe/<FG key folder>\bin\vcredist_x64.exe, respectively. You will need to have administrative privileges on that computer (which may not be always the case).
  • Launch <FG key folder>\bin\fgrun.exe to start the FlightGear Launcher. If it's the first time you're running FG on that specific machine, you will be asked to set the FlightGear, scenery and aircraft paths on the first page of the launcher.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby H1r2y » Thu May 07, 2015 11:07 am

Do I have to have administration privilages or is there another way?
H1r2y

Postby elgaton » Fri May 08, 2015 7:57 am

The only way would be to put the OpenAL/Visual C++ DLLs (shared libraries) in the bin folder, but I'm not sure if it can be done. I'll check this evening.
elgaton

Postby H1r2y » Fri May 08, 2015 11:17 am

K, TNX
H1r2y

Postby Hooray » Fri May 08, 2015 3:52 pm

elgaton wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 7:57 am:The only way would be to put the OpenAL/Visual C++ DLLs (shared libraries) in the bin folder, but I'm not sure if it can be done. I'll check this evening.

yes, that should work, as long as the DLLs reside in the same folder as the binary, those should be loaded with priority.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby elgaton » Fri May 08, 2015 11:08 pm

I checked and there's no way to extract the OpenAL library without administrative privileges, so you'll have to copy it manually.

In more detail:
  1. Install FlightGear.
  2. Copy C:\Program Files\FlightGear to the USB key. From now on, I'll refer to the FlightGear folder you copied to the key as the "FG key folder".
  3. Copy C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenAL32.dll to <FG key folder>\bin\OpenAL32.dll.
  4. Check if there are two files named <FG key folder>\bin\msvcp100.dll and <FG key folder>\bin\msvcr100.dll; if not, copy them from C:\WINDOWS\System32.
elgaton

Postby Hooray » Sat May 09, 2015 2:20 am

you might want to add this to the wiki, or even consider filing a feature request to add this as an installer option to the Windows installer, so that this will become an actual installation option (think USB/flash disk drives etc) - in fact, we did once have a self-contained ISO image for these purposes, which used to be a free giveaway for FSWeekend/LinuxTax-type events - so with this sort of background info, and given the popularity of FSWeekend/LinuxTag, this might actually become a popular thing eventually, while also simplifying testing for end-users (think people testing multiple versions independently)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby elgaton » Sat May 09, 2015 10:43 pm

elgaton