Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Some aircraft models aren't working properly?  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Some aircraft models aren't working properly?

Postby ferrari 1123 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I just recently downloaded Flightgear 3.4 for the Mac, since I've been waiting for an update that supports OS X Yosemite. Everything worked fine at the start, but when I tried to download some aircraft (for example, the 747-400), The 3d model didn't show up. All that showed up was something that looked like a wooden plane with the wings painted blue and the body painted yellow, and it was very small and unusable. I've been using Flightgear since 2.0, and I haven't had this sort of problem until I downloaded 3.4. What should I do? I wanna use the cool aircraft that FG has provided us with too... :cry:

Thanks for the help!

-Ferrari1123 (NUCLEUS)

OS - Mac OS X Yosemite
FG Version - 3.4
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Problem occurs with many installable aircrafts except for the Mudry Cap10B
Picture of the problem - http://imageshack.com/a/img661/2491/V6sabD.png
ferrari 1123

Re: Some aircraft models aren't working properly?

Postby Necolatis » Wed May 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Is the folder you put the aircraft in is not named 'Aircraft'? It has to be for most planes.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby ferrari 1123 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Necolatis wrote in Wed May 06, 2015 11:14 pm:Is the folder you put the aircraft in is not named 'Aircraft'? It has to be for most planes.

It is, FG asked me if I wanted to create a folder in "Documents" and I said yes, the plane's I've installed are in there.
ferrari 1123

Postby clrCoda » Thu May 07, 2015 6:35 am

after unziping a zipped aircraft, did the file that unzipping created end in '-master'? if so please rename any and all folders that end in '-master' by removing that bit.

example:

If the aircraft 747-400 came in a zip with a name similar to 747-400-master.zip, and after unzipping you were installed a folder called 747-400-master, then the next step would be to rename that folder to "747-400".

hope this was what the problem is :) Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby ferrari 1123 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:19 pm

clrCoda wrote in Thu May 07, 2015 6:35 am:after unziping a zipped aircraft, did the file that unzipping created end in '-master'? if so please rename any and all folders that end in '-master' by removing that bit.

example:

If the aircraft 747-400 came in a zip with a name similar to 747-400-master.zip, and after unzipping you were installed a folder called 747-400-master, then the next step would be to rename that folder to "747-400".

hope this was what the problem is :) Ray

The zip file shows up the name of the aircraft, then a dash with a bunch of numbers next to it. After unzipping them, the file shows up as the regular name of the aircraft...
ferrari 1123

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri May 08, 2015 8:18 am

Take that file out, and put it in /FlightGear/data/Aircraft
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby ferrari 1123 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:34 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 8:18 am:Take that file out, and put it in /FlightGear/data/Aircraft

I can't do that, because the new update doesn't have a "data" folder.
ferrari 1123

Postby clrCoda » Fri May 08, 2015 10:41 pm

@legoboyvdlp, it looks to me like he is installing in the correct folder tho he has not shared the folder path with us yet, except hinting to it, re: Documents. Also, the plane shows a glider so he's getting something.

Often when the glider is showing there is a problem with the folder name, hence my previous post. We obviously need more information.

Like that actual paths to everything. So, I am going to ask ferrari 1123 to read the pink box at the top of this page and to answer all of those questions in this forum thread, please. :)

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby ferrari 1123 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:57 am

clrCoda wrote in Fri May 08, 2015 10:41 pm:@legoboyvdlp, it looks to me like he is installing in the correct folder tho he has not shared the folder path with us yet, except hinting to it, re: Documents. Also, the plane shows a glider so he's getting something.

Often when the glider is showing there is a problem with the folder name, hence my previous post. We obviously need more information.

Like that actual paths to everything. So, I am going to ask ferrari 1123 to read the pink box at the top of this page and to answer all of those questions in this forum thread, please. :)

--Ray

The file path is: Users/(My name)/Documents/Flightgear/Aircraft

I can't post the command line, because I don't know where it is. There unfortunately isn't any information anywhere on where I might find it...
ferrari 1123

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 09, 2015 5:04 am

where did you download the aircraft from? Can you provide the link here?
Best
IH-COL
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat May 09, 2015 8:12 am

Maybe you could try to put it in with Flightgear. Do you know where FlightGear is installed? It should be in program files.

So, move the entire folder (not the one with numbers, but the one with the proper name) to where FlightGear is and put it in data/Aircraft.

Flightgear is most likely to be in C:/Users/MyName/ProgramFiles or something like that.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby ferrari 1123 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:28 pm

So...the problem kind of just fixed itself. I don't recall doing anything different to the files of the aircraft, but the models are working now. Not sure how...but they're working, which is the important part. Thanks for trying to help, though! :mrgreen:
ferrari 1123

Return to Graphics