Board index FlightGear Support osgEarth

[SOLVED] Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG git  Topic is solved

osgEarth renders the terrain scene by building the textured geometry at runtime from raw source imagery and elevation data.

Re: Help me! Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG gi

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:24 pm

plib is already supported in master (see /src/plib.mk)

simgear would make sense - and once SG&FG work, we should also explore adding osgEarth as a supported dependency.
Once that is the case, the cmake superbuild should be easy to get working using mxe (including even osgEarth) - because all the deps should be there already.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Catalanoic » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi, I am currently using the FG 3.1.0 version with osgEarth that poweroftwo uploaded some time ago. It looks awesome, but unlike there is some better method of compiling the code under Windows, I'll use this previous version. There are several aspects to improve as the delimitation of land photography and water areas as seas and oceans, and the possibility of more map resources (eg government/company local maps). I don't think I have to mark this post as finished because my primary goal is not met, but has opened the possibility in the future through other alternative tools to made this possible. Maybe it's necessary to create a dedicated thread. Good luck! Thanks for all!
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby elgaton » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:01 pm

hamzaalloush wrote in Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:10 pm:what do you mean about working the CMake infrastructure? are there specific changes you want to do?

Yes, specifically:
  • deprecating/refactoring the variety of scripts/techniques used to build FG (download_and_compile.sh, the Jenkins build scripts...) in favor of the superbuild;
  • handling third-party dependencies in a uniform way: right now, some of them (e.g. SQLite) are included in the FlightGear repository and built from there (even though they may be already installed on the system), others are always downloaded (e.g. OpenSceneGraph/Boost on Windows systems). My idea was to use the Find*.cmake modules for all dependencies, falling back on an ExternalProject_Add call in case the library is not found.
In my opinion, this warrants at least a discussion on the -devel mailing list before proceeding, and I don't feel comfortable introducing such a change at this time for the reasons I detailed in my previous post - hence the "temporary fork".
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Re: [SOLVED] Install osgEarth feature on Win7 64b with FG gi

Postby Hooray » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 pm

elgaton wrote in Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:01 pm:My idea was to use the Find*.cmake modules for all dependencies, falling back on an ExternalProject_Add call in case the library is not found.

that sounds good to me - but it would be even more important to document a FG/SG-relevant subset of ExternalProject_Add() on the wiki to ensure that the Superbuild is sufficiently well-understood and can be extended/maintained by others - i.e. by adding to: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Developing_using_CMake or http://wiki.flightgear.org/Superbuild#Maintenance
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby poweroftwo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:49 pm

hamzaalloush wrote in Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:06 pm:@poweroftwo, i see you project on SF, you still don't have sources uploaded other than fgmeta-osgearth, you mentioned that you ported to 3.4 on the mailing-list, but i only see commit refrences leading to pre 3.2 in that fork of fgmeta(ex. flightgear @ 98c053792e1)
https://gitlab.com/poweroftwo/fgmeta-osgearth/tree/OsgEarthNext

please ignore my fgmeta clone, it is not correct.
poweroftwo

Postby hamzaalloush » Thu May 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Hooray, i'm seriously considering your proposal, MXE is such a joy to work with, the folks on the mailing list are helpful in providing patches to get a fellow's toolchain working, but currently they also have some limitations, because they cannot directly maintain errors produced by the upstream mingw back-end compiler. i have carried a successful build of their static toolchain with some local patches that i applied.

now comes the fun part, installing the much sought after shared building toolchain, and i'm having g++ linking errors produced by mingw-g++ upstream, one that i managed to fix and i'm currently dealing with further errors... after that, i don't think build a OSG shared library is so out of reach, considering the post you made years ago.

http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21029

Hooray wrote in Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:56 am:As previously mentioned, if you are on Linux and want to cross-compile for Windows, you may want to give mxe a try - but I *think* it needs to statically link everything, including OSG plugins.

mingw has came a long way, and i think the MXE openscenegraph package (currently at 3.2.1 on master!!), is beautifully maintained, now it builds almost all core libraries dynamically with some argument passing, even as a static target(MXE_TARGETS='i686-w64-mingw32.static'), but it's those plugins again, with their linking errors! i think these are because i'm using the i686-w64-mingw32.static-g++ compiler as opposed to the shared one...

so as soon as i can get the shared build environment running and solve all of it's dependancies for OSG, i think we can have a cross compiller in our hands! :)

i have a local branch that i keep all the various commits and bandaids that i apply in order to make an FG friendly build environment, and who knows, i might fork the MXE project and provide a minimum build environment tailored for FG if they didn't accept my patches for it.

also, they still have QT < 5.1, so that's an issue that we will have to resolve at a later date for our new GUI, for now, i will be contempt with cross-compilling FG 3.4 when i'm done just as a proof-of-concept.

anyhow, thanks for your advice Hooray :)
hamzaalloush

Postby Hooray » Thu May 14, 2015 11:06 pm

that sounds all very good and promising !

back when I played with mxe a while ago, I did have to use static linking for all OSG related projects - in fact, most of the examples/demo applications would not even link/start without being statically linked - so I'd suggest to use those as unit tests, and only really look at building SG/FG and osgEarth, once the demos build/link and work properly.

And like you said, it does make sense to regularly provide any OSG/SG and FG related updates to the upstream repositories/projects, adding a set of SG/FG related build files should be relatively straightforward once everything else is in place, and the cmake supebuild could greatly benefit from mxe support, too.

so as soon as i can get the shared build environment running and solve all of it's dependancies for OSG, i think we can have a cross compiller in our hands!

I would just suggest to provide all changes regularly - i.e. in an "release early & often" fashion - no matter if it's mxe or osg/sg and fg patches.

Once you have this working, I can also help and set up pre-compiled binaries (deb/ppa) for debian/ubuntu - which was one of the things that saiarcot895 manageed to do, and which greatly helped deploying/installing and setting up TerraGear, too: http://wiki.flightgear.org/TerraGear_sc ... ild_server

For the TerraGear stuff, we ended up setting up a virtual appliance (Virtualbox VM) which comes pre-configured with TerraGear using said packages - so that might be another option for a mxe-based cross-compiler on Linux that creates Windows binaries for SG/FG, including osgEarth support. I am sure that poweroftwo would also be interested in this (with him currently using a Windows VM under Mac OSX for creating Windows binaries). And the whole journey would also greatly help the mxe/mingw projects, because of adding recent OSG support.

thanks for your update, and please do keep us posted (and feel free to use the wiki/newsletter to document your journey).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Previous

Return to osgEarth