Board index FlightGear Development

About embracing contributions (split from Cloning fgdata ... )

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

About embracing contributions (split from Cloning fgdata ... )

Postby Torsten » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:43 am

wlbragg wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:21 am:type of censorship that is currently in place ther

wlbragg wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:21 am:a system that has been turning away or locking out developers

Can you elaborate what contributions have been censored and who has been locked out?
That probably did not happen intentionally and we should rule this out.
At least I have granted everybody who had commit rights to gitorious the same priviledges on SourceForge on request of that contributor.
I had loved to make this an automatic process but that was not possible because I couldn't match usernames between gitorious and SF.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Re: About embracing contributions (split from Cloning fgdata

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Well.
I am being censored.

As a matter of fact, the last two messages I sent to the devel list are not acknowledge posting --as they did before.
Instead, now they go to a moderator of unknown name (maybe) that prevents me to email the devel list. Unless he/she/they fully agree with the message.

That is censorship in the uttermost of states.
Unless I agree with you, I have no voice!

I have in fact now notified twice to Curtis Olson via private messaging of this, because I am seriously afraid that a middle-man attack is taking place on his devel-list. And it is a targetted attack as well.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Well Apparently I am wrongly believing that the miminum of respect to others opinions prime in the Flightgear Community.
I am not being targetted by a man in the middle strategy, but oppositely is a concerted effort by the Core developers to make sure that only opinions that full agree with theirs have a place.

They are always right, in the sense that different is killed

Next step,
let's burn books!
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Now... I am posting here what exactly is that impressively inappropriate comment that do not belong (according to Curtis single-handely opinion) to the devel list at all:

The problem:

I assume there is a very good reason for many XML files having the
svn:mime-type set to "application/xml". If not, the size of many
commits could be drastically reduced and the FGAddon repository
backend size could be kept much smaller in the long term, as each
subversion revision for the XML files would be text diffs instead of
complete file exchanges (as binary files are treated as such). For
example Syd's r468 commit
(https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgaddon/468/), although this XML
file does not have svn:mime-type set, if it did the size of r468 would
be the full 12k size of the XML file instead of that tiny diff. A
bulk addition of svn:mime-type set to "text/xml" to all FGAddon files
can be done simply with (I wouldn't recommend this change):

$ find -name "*.xml" -exec svn propset svn:mime-type text/xml {} \;

Or a complete bulk removal of this nasty property with:

$ find -name "*.xml" -exec svn propdel svn:mime-type {} \;

For some FGAddon statistics, the number of XML files with
svn:mime-type set to "application/xml" is:

$ find -name "*.xml" -exec svn propget svn:mime-type {} \; | grep
"application" | wc -l

The number of XML files with svn:mime-type set to "text/xml" is:

$ find -name "*.xml" -exec svn propget svn:mime-type {} \; | grep "text" | wc -l

And the total number of XML files is:

$ find -name "*.xml" | wc -l

I guess I'm now going to get flamed by some modellers for these
repository size suggestions ;)

Regards,

Edward

The proposed solution
Yes, there are two methods, in fact.

A) (working with all versions)
Edit ~/.subversion/config and:
1) in the [miscellany] section, set "enable-auto-props" to "yes";
2) add the following line in the [auto-props] section:
*.xml = svn:mime-type=text/xml
(Disadvantages:
- this needs to be set by each client on the client side;
- the setting affects all working copies handled by the clients,
not just the fgdata working copy).

B) (only for SVN 1.8 and later)
Set the following property on the root of the repository:
svn propset svn:auto-props "*.xml = svn:mime-type=text/xml"
(see [1] for a description). The property should be automatically
inherited by all subdirectories.

Both methods do not change the MIME type on XML files already in the
repo, so you should change them by hand via this command [2]:
find . -name *.xml -print0 | xargs svn propset svn:mime-type text/xml

(Disclaimer: please test these changes locally before applying them to
the repository, I haven't checked them in detail).

My message immediately censored by Curtis as "innapropriate for a devel list":

It was my understanding that one of the lead defense of the svn system was that it handled binaries and text better. Not that everyone needed to make sure that some proper setting is managed locally.

I am a bit confuse now on how that defense stands true.

Best,
Israel
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:23 pm

It just seems to me that this half baked effort on developing aircrafts in SVN is still currently being fixed and patched from all directions.
Otherwise, how can someone explain the immediate need to relocate code for the UUIC aircraft that took place over the weekend?

Wasn't it supossed also that the method used had not brake anything at all?

Not that it can't be rearranged - fixed.
I am just pointing that there is a blind-defense on the whole thing.
A lot of wide -shut eyes.

And now, a big concerted and from the top-down effort to avoid people that opine differently to have a voice.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 pm

my two centavos?

you questioned it incorrectly by addressing it as part of the "lead defense"... put all that aside and don't ever mention it and your posts won't be seen as trying to start or continue an argument/debate/fight...

eg: "I thought that SVN handled text and binaries correctly without everyone needing to ensure that files' type settings were configured properly. I'm confused."

but then one asking/posting that would likely to be pointed to the SVN documentation...

FWIW: we see the same thing on web servers all the time... javascript being sent with image/png mimetype so as to try to infest a user's system with malware... mime types are configurable in many software packages... web servers as well as SVN, CVS and others...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 pm

BTW: your post seems to be on the dev list now... i just saw it when going to look for james turner's post about the UIUC aircraft...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Well as a matter of fact, my whole statement reads correct.
When the SVN decision was moved forward, the most emphatic part of SVN supporters argued that since so many files in an aircraft were binaries, Subversion was the only move that could reduce repo-size from bloating away at binaries storage.

Previously I mentioned that was not something that made immediate sense to me because both Subversion and Git deal with text files the almost the same way. And binaries are still stored not deprecated in hidden folders. It seemed to me that the weaknesses on dealing with binaries were shared.

But now, I learn that unless some weird setting is properly done in every committer locally (notice that it actually was misconfigured in curt's set), then even XML files (a high percentage of text files in every aircraft) can be treated by SVN as binaries, instead.
No necessary set is needed for Git to properly handle an XML file as a text, not a binary.

So the defense of SVN over a git aircraft repository set, stands, at the very least incorrect. And hopefully not simply misleading or fallacious by the defenders that used this argument.

And thus, still saying that all my messages need to be read by Curtis in the role of moderator before broadcasting is a very terrible misbehavior in the light of ethics and right of opinion and freedom of speech (as in being able to given that opinion)

Totally innapropriate behavior on a devel list.

But on top of that, it is a targetted attack. Because only my posts are re-considered before broadcasting. They just know I may disagree, and I will give my opinion if I consider opportune.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:39 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 pm:BTW: your post seems to be on the dev list now... i just saw it when going to look for james turner's post about the UIUC aircraft...

Thanks for letting me know
As a matter of fact, this is the second time that I don't receive a confirmatory email of message sent.

And still, this does not remove the fact that placing a moderator in between -only- me and the devel-list is censorship, as Torsten is asking about. And a very low behavior and poor treatment.
(oh yes.... I know I am probably ranting now!)
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:43 pm

IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:45 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm:But now, I learn that unless some weird setting is properly done in every committer locally (notice that it actually was misconfigured in curt's set), then even XML files (a high percentage of text files in every aircraft) can be treated by SVN as binaries, instead.
No necessary set is needed for Git to properly handle an XML file as a text, not a binary.

that depends... look at the difference between DOS, *NIX and MAC line endings...

but still... best to let it go and just move on... really... seems like some are already overly tired of the constant comebacks and questioning... they're being nice... in other projects, you would have already been dropped from the dev list and may even be censored in the forums... i don't think that will happen here but still... time to move on and get past it...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby curt » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 pm

curt
Administrator

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 pm

Wow!
Just Wow.

It is a beautiful image Curt.
but it has other meanings and you just screw it completely

Wkitty seems to mean that all major decisions are--and need to be taken-- out of fear.
I should be afraid of isolation?
Instead of embrace questions, and opportunely address them?

At the end of the day, your cute boat just reminds me of this:

Remember, I already asked you to take into account that you are our project leader and need to behave, and act appropriately, and take the higher road.
You thought I meant: Censor-me!

When I meant you need to be very cautious when using fingers against any of us. I can't see you disagree with me. But as the project leader, I would hope you do so still respectfully, instead of engaging in methods by Geneb, Torsten and others.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:05 pm

It is *not* my picture!
It is the picture that Geneb used to "give me a name"

I don't find that any better.

I find it extremely insulting!

As I consider insulting your placing me in a "moderated" list that needs your approval before broadcasting.

And even more insulting that Torsten comes here with innocent eyes to say that censorship is not applied and will not be applied.
IAHM-COL
Retired

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:13 pm

IAHM-COL wrote in Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:57 pm:Wkitty seems to mean that all major decisions are--and need to be taken-- out of fear.

what?!!? where is that coming from? no... i'm only trying to give you some friendly advice... some advice that might help to keep others from filtering you (that's what "plonk" means... it comes from news groups)... i don't care if other filters you or not... it is rather painful to wade through the dev list archives, backwards, 250 posts at a time, with having to scroll up through pages and pages of unneeded quotes and signatures on signatures on signatures to get to the neat of a post... like no one knows how to trim quotes to only the part they are responding to and respond inline... and then some write books and go on and on and on and on...

it is/was just some friendly advice... take it or leave it... i'm not in the argument and certainly don't care to be... i've asked one simple question (here in the forums about the aircraft history) which still hasn't been answered... aside from that :shrug:
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Next

Return to Development