Board index FlightGear Development New features

"Real Cockpit" Shaking effect script

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: "Real Cockpit" Shaking effect script

Postby wlbragg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:50 am

Really nice.
How does this mesh with the current FGCamera work? Are they compatible with each other?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby mmagnin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi wlbragg,
I´m in a learning process, so maybe I will give this one iteration more, to add (if really applies) persistence of the parameters between fg sessions; and maybe shaking due turbulence; just to finish it, and be sure the script is well coded. After that I will download fgcamera, take a look at it, and if I understand how to properly move the shaking code, I will contact the author to be sure he/she did´t already done it; because I been told that module is under development.
But to make a more precise answer to your question, I don´t know yet if it´s compatible or not, I have to install FGCamera and see … maybe it´s really easy to make it work together… I don´t know yet. :)
Greetings
Martín
mmagnin

Postby wlbragg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:52 pm

I only asked because what you've done is incredibly easy to to add and extend what currently exists and it works really well.
I tried FGCamera and it (for me) wasn't quite as easy to implement or understand.
In all fairness to the author of FGCamera though, it was more beta than yours, for lack of better words, and it is obviously doing more complicated procedures by nature of what it is.
I'm hoping the two of you get both parts combined and implemented in the base so dummies like me get the benefit without having to understand more than our feeble brains allow.
Great work.
FGCamera also, can't wait to incorporate them both as finished products.
wlbragg

Postby mmagnin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi, as an update I can tell you I was able to make the script parameters persistent, it was an easy thing, just add a few xml nodes in preferences.xml (this software it´s great!); and also added another slider to adjust the strength of high frequency shaking in the presence of “turbulence”. I have to do some testing tonight at home, and I will up load it. Overall I think I´m done with this script.

That FGCamera looks really amazing, must be complicated, I will take a look at the code.
mmagnin

Postby mmagnin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:35 am

Hi, I´m posting a link to the last version of the script; it has the turbulence shaking effect, and now the parameters persist through the sessions of the simulator. I´m very happy with the results. I really hope you enjoy it. Please take a look at it, I tried to make a youtube video, but my video skills where not up to the task LOL.
I´m going to take a look to FGCamera now. Thank you very much.
Greetings
Martin

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5069D249BD9C0D83!13638&authkey=!AF4fyn6-9b0o03U&ithint=file%2czip
mmagnin

Postby mmagnin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:02 pm

I took a look to FGCamera v1.1, really nice feature!, as far as the shake effects go; from what I see in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlH7AgUFC5M (from the wiki page) and from the development status progress bar “Random camera movement (effects)” (in yellow), is that the shaking feature is already developed, the shake effect is simply that, a random camera movement proportional to some property value.
mmagnin

Postby Marius_A » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Hello Martin,

FGCamera v1.1 has no camera shaking effects (the video shows older version of fgcamera). The effects were removed because I'm redesigning the script. v1.2 will have all the effects back. However, my script does not take into consideration engine rpm, flaps positions, thrust reversers, etc. Maybe you are interested in helping to extend fgcamera?
Marius_A

Postby mmagnin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello Marius_A,
Yes, of course I´m interested to help. Please contact me on email, so I can start helping you.
mmagnin

Postby dg-505 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi Martin,

this is really a great feature!
Did You ever thought about writing an article for the next month's newsletter?
Write to Hooray for details
A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you everywhere.

DHC-6 Twin Otter development
dg-505

Callsign: dg-505

Postby lomar » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:19 pm

is this still being developed?

well, i'm trying to put some extra lines into this code so it will start computing the acceleration(positive and negative), but i don't have so much skill at coding. could someone give me some hint about ohow to do this?
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby mmagnin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Hello Lomar,
I used that script to learn Nasal, right now I´m working really hard in a project to build a 737-800NG WL; I´m very happy because I´m doing a lot of progress, but it´s a lot of work... If you explain me what acceleration are you interested in, more detail of the effect you want to achieve, I could try to code it.
Greetings.
Martin.
mmagnin

Postby Hooray » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:40 pm

it would make sense for the people involved in this to team up with Marius_A to join forces and contribute to the fgcamera effort (see the wiki for details)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:39 am

team up with Marius_A

Yes +!.

I really like this work you did. I think it should be included with FG.
wlbragg

Postby lomar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:57 pm

hello there!

well, your code helped me a lot with my simulation, because when i did a smoother landing i just couldn't figure out if the aircraft had touched the ground yet or not, so now i know thet when the cockpit starts shaking harder, it's time to turn on speedbrakes and reversers.

The aceleration i'm talking about woul be just to when you increase speed, the camera "moves" backwards a bit, and when you brake the camera goes the opposit direction.

i'm almost sure fgcamera will have this in the next version, but i found that addon a bit difficult to install and configure, and also i wanted to learn more about coding with this small addition.
lomar

Callsign: lomar
Version: nightly

Postby clrCoda » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:46 pm

mmagnin excellent work!

A minor point. Would it not make more sense to say what you added to preferences.xml rather that share your preferences.xml. I have a custom preferences.xml and I would much rather add the few lines you added to preferences.xml to my custom version than to use yours. But I can't tell by a cursory reading what it was you added specifically.

Can't wait to try this, thanks for the work!

--Ray

Post edit

Is this the sum total of what was added to preferences.xml?
Code: Select all
         <shake-effect>
            <parameters>
               <taxi-factor type="double" userarchive="y">0.5</taxi-factor>
               <flaps-factor type="double" userarchive="y">0.5</flaps-factor>
               <speedbrake-factor type="double" userarchive="y">0.55</speedbrake-factor>
               <reversethrust-factor type="double" userarchive="y">0.25</reversethrust-factor>
               <turbulence-factor type="double" userarchive="y">2.0</turbulence-factor>
            </parameters>
         </shake-effect>

This was found between the <current-view> tags.

Thanks -- Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

PreviousNext

Return to New features