Board index FlightGear Development New features

system time and fgrun

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

system time and fgrun

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:54 am

Currently, it is possible to start a flight using the system time in fgrun by deselecting the toggle "Time of day". I believe this is highly unintuitive (I myself was unaware of it for long time): usually deselecting a toggle means that a certain feature is not is use, which makes no sense in this case. A better solution IMO would be to completely remove this toggle and add "system time" to the top of the list at "Time of day". What do you think about this?

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Re: system time and fgrun

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:57 am

when you're on that last page of FGRun, click the "Advanced" button in the lower right... go to the Time section and choose what you want from there... i use time-match-local... it will uncheck that box you speak of as well as changing the options shown for the command line... i just tested to see what would happen with various ones in play... it only allows you to use one...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:01 am

@wkitty42 Hi, my post is not a question on how to use the system time, my point is that the current GUI is confusing and I am proposing an improvement to it, just that.
gsagostinho

Postby Philosopher » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:06 am

FGRun is basically deprecated right now, so improvements likely won't be considered even if they come with a patch, etc.
Philosopher

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Philosopher wrote in Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:06 am:FGRun is basically deprecated right now, so improvements likely won't be considered even if they come with a patch, etc.

Oh, I was not aware of the Qt5 Launcher, that is looking good! Our wiki says that by the next release fgrun should be gone and completely replaced by the Qt5 Launcher. In that case, my post above is irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply!
gsagostinho

Return to New features