Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Earthview Orbital Rendering

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Earthview Orbital Rendering

Postby pommesschranke » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Linux * nvidia * fg 3.5 (git)

I'd like to fix & understand the Earthview Orbital Rendering on my PC.
With my usual .fgfs settings it shows a white circle and a scenery square,
With a new user without any .fgfs settings it shows the globe but in very low
resolution & blurry.

Do I have to download additional images from somewhere ?
Is Terrasync loading it ?
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Re: Earthview Orbital Rendering

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:33 am

Try it from orbit (600 km or 1.800.000 ft will do nicely). You will see this:

If you download the full resolution earth and cloud textures from NASA Visible Earth and re-texture the sphere, then you can have this

(since that's a few GB of texture data, I didn't include it into FG GIT for obvious reasons).

Is Terrasync loading it ?

Nope - it has nothing to do with the default terrain (and in fact works best if the default terrain isn't loaded at all).
Thorsten

Postby pommesschranke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:09 pm

thanks for your reply.

Code: Select all
If you download the full resolution earth and cloud textures from NASA Visible Earth and re-texture the sphere, then you can have this

Is there a Howto for that ? I did search the forum & wiki already.

these are images from tico's space trip:
http://imgur.com/a/ragL9#b7jOiK8
he did not talk about "re-texture the sphere" .. maybe it got lost in translation.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:01 pm

Is there a Howto for that ?

No - I reasoned that if 'texture the sphere' doesn't mean anything to a user, he probably can't do it anyway. Besides, at 16384 x 16384 texture resolution, you may run into memory and architecture limits of your machine, so there's really no one size fits all path at the upper end - I ended up using dds textures to reduce loading time.

The models in question are Models/Astro/earth_unitscale_hires.ac, earth_unitscale_rawuv.ac and clouds_unitscale_hires.ac. The unitscale_hires are smart uv-mapped and need textures with a characteristic border to avoid seams, the rawuv has a simple mapping to which you can apply texture sheets as is.

Open with the model editor of your choice, map with the textures of your choice, done.
Thorsten

Return to Graphics