Board index FlightGear Development New features

Heaven or Hell? Phi sneak preview.

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Heaven or Hell? Phi sneak preview.

Postby Torsten » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi,

do you know Phi? It's a new HTML5 based user interface/instructor station integrated into FlightGear 3.5 ff.
I'd like to share some screenshots of what is already available in current GIT. All screenshots were taken on my iPad where Phi is installed as a a web app (installed to home-screen) to run full screen without the browser's decoration:

This is the Mass&Balance dialog, all values are settable and update at runtime.

If configured for the aircraft, checklists look like this:

Time and Date:

The right column is meant to be a widget area to hold small elements with compact information. Currently a simple PFD, a radio stack and a map widget is implemented. If you look closely, you can see that they display real-time data. The FlightGear instance running in the backround has the SenecaII flying right-hand circles on autopilot.

A toolbox comes with it, this is the holding-entry simulator (needs layout tweaking!)

And an unlimited stack of stop-watches:

Weather configuration is still very simple:

Oh, did I mention it supports theming?

No instructor station without a map widget:

All this is already in GIT. If you run the latest development code and want to try hands-on, start FlightGear with the internal web server enabled (--httpd=8080) and point your browser at http://<your-flightgear-computer>:8080/gui/ or http://localhost:8080/gui/ if you are on a single computer.

You need a descent browser for this. Latest Firefox, Chrome and Safari should work. Operating systems tested are Linux, OSX 10.9 and 10.10, iOS (latest) and Android (latest). It doesn't scale down to small displays yet. 7" and less is a mess.

Technologie behind is HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript and some excellent JavaScript libraries. Mainly jquery, jquery-ui, knockout, require, leaflet and flotcharts.

Hope you like it.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Re: Heaven or Hell? Phi sneak preview.

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:49 pm

i'm a new user to the forums and FG but i've been around a while... that app looks very neat! i look forward to maybe trying it out...

you say that it is in GIT... it is available in the GIT version of the 3.4.0 release? that's what i'm running right now but i also have "next" as well and from the other day when i finally got all the fgdata pulled in, my compiled 3.4.0 actually says that it is 3.4.1 ;)

might i ask about a feature, too? in the radio stack, maybe some volumn buttons? twisty knobs are a bugger to work with so i was thinking maybe and up and a down with the down also serving as off with one more click after volumn 0 is set... would be -1 to signal off i guess... of course, this if the app is two way which i think i read correctly that it is...

i ask this because the time that i have been using FG, i wish more and more for the twisty knobs to have two hot spots on them... one on the left for down and one on the right for up instead of having to click and drag to try to adjust them... especially the heading bug and even the frequency adjustments...

all that said, the app looks good and i look forward to trying it out :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Necolatis » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:19 am

Looks really good. Does Select under aircraft mean possibility to select aircraft?
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby Michat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:17 am

I like it. Congratulations for your excellent work.

I wish to recommend as I did in old posts. If could be possible to make a unit converter tool, a calculator, and a "lets say advanced" mathemathics assistant for FlightGear, so users can learn more by practicing some useful formulas, BOD Begin Of descend and so on, having account that more of the users don't know how to calculate these things. I'm still thinking that could be a good point for FG Flight School.

Please, share your opinions........ and congratulations again.

Cheers
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Johan G » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Regarding tools, a CAS to TAS calculator could be very useful. It seems to be one of the features I use the most on my whiz wheel (flight computer).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wlbragg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Exciting, this is state of the art.
It is really nice to have this kind of access to the sim across a network.

Keep it up, if you need help, let me know!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Torsten » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 pm

wlbragg wrote in Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:49 pm:Keep it up, if you need help, let me know!

If you have the time: a TAS/CAS calculator, vertical navigation helper for BOD (see former messages) would be a nice starting point.
Or even better: a complete e6b toolkit?

If you know how to do MVVM with knockout.js and probably a litte jquery you should have an easy start. Probably the holding simulator is a nice reference. It's code is in FGDATA/webgui/topics/Tools

Necolatis wrote in Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:19 am:Looks really good. Does Select under aircraft mean possibility to select aircraft?

Yes, but it is not yet functional. It uses the same technique as the currently broken aircraft-center. Once it's working you can install and select aircraft there.

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:49 pm:you say that it is in GIT... it is available in the GIT version of the 3.4.0 release? t

No, you need flightgear and simgear from the next branch and fgdata from the master branch. Minimum version number is 3.5.0.

Torsten
Torsten

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Torsten wrote in Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 pm:
wkitty42 wrote in Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:49 pm:you say that it is in GIT... it is available in the GIT version of the 3.4.0 release? t

No, you need flightgear and simgear from the next branch and fgdata from the master branch. Minimum version number is 3.5.0.

thank you :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Torsten » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 pm

And a new feature: A Property Browser / Editor:

As one could expect: edtiting of values in place:

More to come...

Torsten
Torsten

Postby Philosopher » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:54 pm

Nasal console soon? ;)

btw: I love jQuery, and I would get involved if I wasn't so busy and didn't have my own website to do :(
Philosopher

Postby Hooray » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:58 pm

or how about the interactive REPL :lol: :lol:

BTW: trivial to do, see: Image
https://code.google.com/p/shellinabox/ - this is what you were using a while ago ...

But wrapping the telnet/props stuff like that would not be such a bad idea and could be incredibly handy (browser-based telnet into FG)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Excellent, excellent. So, simply if I want it on my android tablet I open chrome and put in my ip, the one I use for flightgear map app, to connect to my laptop followed by :, the 4 letter string, and /gui/?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:34 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:20 pm:Excellent, excellent. So, simply if I want it on my android tablet I open chrome and put in my ip, the one I use for flightgear map app, to connect to my laptop followed by :, the 4 letter string, and /gui/?

the "4 letter string" is the port number you have FG configured to use for http connections... the default is port 5500 so http://yourFGhost:5500/gui/ would work... that's what i'm using here right now ;) you do not have to change the port number from the default unless there's something else using that port...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Torsten wrote in Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 pm:More to come...

where would you like bug reports made?

eg: when sitting on the runway at KSFO immediately after starting FG, loading the browser, connecting to the /gui/ url and switching to the map tab showed that i was apparently sitting somewhere in the middle of germany (IIRC)... once i started moving, though, the map was corrected... at least after i was finally able to wrestle default cessna 172p into some basic control... that thing was probably the squirrliest takeoff i've done... all over the sky like a i dunno what...

i'm loving the map, that's for sure... especially when terrasync isn't pulling the scenery for some reason... i've flown over at least two large blocks with no secnery being shown in FG but the map in Phi has allowed me to maintain my flight and handle my altitude when i needed to climb over some large mountain or just find a passage through between the peaks...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Torsten » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Thanks for the report on the "sticky" map. I'll investigate what's going on.

I have just added a first draft of a property-plotter. Plotting a properties value is as simple as clicking the litte image-icon just next to the properties value. Clicking it again removes the plot. The chart appears when the first property is marked for plotting and removes itself when there is no more property to plot.
The number of properties to plot is only limited by browsers memory and space for drawing y-axes.
An export function to image/png and text/csv in in the backlog. So is a configuration dialog to set the now hardcoded values for sampling rate, sampling duration, styling.

Torsten
Torsten

Next

Return to New features