Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

No runway texture

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

No runway texture

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:48 pm

Hello all,

I noticed that some airports, such as Pouilly Maconge (LFEP), do not display any runway texture on my system. Is this happening only to me or is it a bug?

Cheers!
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Re: No runway texture

Postby sanhozay » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:14 pm

I assume you know that it's a grass strip? Were you just expecting a more well-defined mown area?

http://skyvector.com/airport/LFEP/Pouilly-Airport
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Yes, I am aware that is a grass strip (I have no problems with the textures of concrete runways). What I was expecting is some texture, because all I see is a solid green rectangle. So by what you are saying I assume FG does not have textured grass strips?

Best,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby islandmonkey » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:07 pm

It's ever so slightly better in ALS mode, but in ALS mode I can never seem to distinguish between airport area grass and runway grass very well. It does appear to be correct that we have one hell of a crap texture for grass runways, they don't even display the runway numbers at the end.
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:12 pm

Hmm, the screenshot above was taken in ALS mode. So we do have a grass runway texture after all, right? In that case, there is some problem with here because I see no texture at all, only a solid military green runway...

Best,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby Thorsten » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:21 pm

It's ever so slightly better in ALS mode, but in ALS mode I can never seem to distinguish between airport area grass and runway grass very well.

I've been flying for years on a glider grass airstrip - you really can't. It gets extra markers put up, that's all. I suppose with volumetric grass, we can keep it shorter on the actual strip than on the surroundings if you like.

Hmm, the screenshot above was taken in ALS mode.

You need some higher than minimum quality level to see overlay texturing.
Thorsten

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:21 pm:You need some higher than minimum quality level to see overlay texturing.

Thanks Thorsten, that solves it. The thing is my shader effects were not set to "custom", but they were at the highest setting "quality (5)". After tweaking them in the custom menu, I got the texture to show. But wouldn't it be better if the grass runways would be automatically displayed even if someone does not have custom settings for the shader FX? I mean, if someone drags the slider all the way to "quality (5)", the expected thing is to have the simulator all at the max graphic setting. Anyway, problem solved, thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Gilberto
gsagostinho

Postby Thorsten » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm

But wouldn't it be better if the grass runways would be automatically displayed even if someone does not have custom settings for the shader FX?

Admittedly I'm not a fan of the non-custom menu and don't really know by what philosophy it assigns individual quality levels. I guess I know too much about the architecture dependence of shader performance to believe in the idea that a single slider would really work in practice without fine-tuning.
Thorsten

Postby Gijs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:30 pm

The code behind the "global" slider can be found at the end of Nasal/gui.nas. It might need a bit of an update though, as we didn't really touch it since 2012...
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wlbragg » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Gijs wrote in Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:30 pm:It might need a bit of an update though, as we didn't really touch it since 2012...

Now it make sense. I've just assumed it was some arbitrary range "in-between" lightest and heaviest footprint. When in reality it's just been neglected. :wink:

To give you an idea of what it might look like with the volumetric.
Notice the LOD might need to be adjusted around grass strips.
From any farther away though it won't be any different than it is now.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby gsagostinho » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:41 am

@wlbragg these last two screenshots are very beautiful, I love the overall effect with the 3D volumetric grass!
gsagostinho

Postby wlbragg » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:14 am

I made the grass textures with the ALS high-res texture in mind. I need to make some that match the default scene.
I think we need several new and better textures for FG. Everything from trees, shrubs, grass and terrain. What we have works OK, but it could be so much better.

I really want to make more sets of all the above eventually. When or if I do, I'll definitely put them out there for everyone to use if they want.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby gsagostinho » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:18 am

wlbragg wrote in Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:14 am:When or if I do, I'll definitely put them out there for everyone to use if they want.

That sounds great, I am really looking forward to it!
gsagostinho

Postby Thorsten » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:17 am

Notice the LOD might need to be adjusted around grass strips.

It's a single number in the xml-declaration of the grass - that's embarrassingly trivial to do.
Thorsten

Postby Bug Bunny » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Btw, I have somewhat related question about problematic rendering of runway here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25493&p=233277#p233277 It is the only buggy airport in my country iirc.
Bug Bunny

Version: 3.6.0RC

Return to Graphics