Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Can I make FlightGear render at Lower Resolution?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Can I make FlightGear render at Lower Resolution?

Postby firefly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:15 pm

I have a Dell m3800 laptop with quite good hardware, but the screen resolution is 3200x1800 so I get ~15 FPS with FG shaders maxed.
I changed my system resolution to 1920x1080 and I got ~35 FPS with the same settings.
I do not want to change my system settings every time I launch Flightgear, is there a way to force it to render at a lower resolution?
I have tried changing the start resolution but I am pretty sure that just sets the window size.

I am running Ubuntu 14.04
firefly

Callsign: Firefly
Version: 3+

Re: Can I make FlightGear render at Lower Resolution?

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:51 pm

can't you set FG to start at a lower resolution and go full screen with it? i see options for screen resolution in FGRun and i'm pretty sure, without lookin, that they are also available on the command line...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby firefly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 am

Yes, but that only determines the start resolution and makes the window the right size for that resolution, when I change the window size it changes the resolution, I think it can only render 1:1.
firefly

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:25 am

firefly wrote in Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:05 am:Yes, but that only determines the start resolution and makes the window the right size for that resolution, when I change the window size it changes the resolution, I think it can only render 1:1.

how do you change the window size of a full screen? did you, perhaps, miss that part of my post? ;)

TBH, i have my FGRun set to start my FG at 1280x1024x32 but at full screen... this system is set to run at 1600x1200... it may be running at that when in full screen... i dunno... it was my first thought in response to your question... this is also a linux system so things may easily be different if you are running winwhatever :)

if my response hasn't helped, hopefully someone else will be along with a better answer and we'll both learn more about this great simulator :D
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 am

you want it to be fullscreen using a lower resolution, right ?
We used to have a full-screen option at some point - you may want to check --help --verbose to see if it's still there, the resolution can be explicitly set there, too.
I think the "game mode" has been recently removed though ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby firefly » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:04 am

Wkitty42 try setting the FG resolution to 800x600, If you do not see pixels it is not effecting the full screen resolution.

Hooray yes that is what I aim to accomplish, I was not able to find a property like the one you mentioned.
firefly

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:30 pm

firefly wrote in Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:04 am:Wkitty42 try setting the FG resolution to 800x600, If you do not see pixels it is not effecting the full screen resolution.

you are correct... if i uncheck the full screen option, the the window sizes change but not the resolution... sorry for the bad lead...

firefly wrote in Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:04 am:Hooray yes that is what I aim to accomplish, I was not able to find a property like the one you mentioned.

yeah, i couldn't find one either...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Graphics