Board index FlightGear Development

Adding features just hours before tagging a new release

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Adding features just hours before tagging a new release

Postby onox » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:22 am

It seems commit "777:runway: Add initial version of RAAS by onox " was added to fgdata-3.4.0.

I'm posting this here since gitorious hides accepted merge requests if the branch has been deleted.

To Hyde:

4 months ago you basically rejected my merge request for the 777 saying that RAAS should be part of the C++ GPWS (I can agree with that), so I abandoned the branch. But now, suddenly, 5 hours before 3.4.0 gets tagged, you accept the merge request anyway? Without the necessary bug fixes and improvements that I have added? That's not cool :(

To Torsten:

So UpdateLoop and fixes for FailureMgr are not allowed to be added to fgdata for 3.4.0, but an old and incomplete version of RAAS is? :x

Shame on you too for allowing it to happen.
Last edited by onox on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
onox
Retired

Re: Adding features just hours before tagging a new release

Postby Hyde » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 am

I'm sorry, onox. It's my bad at all.
I should have contacted you before merge.

Do you want to remove it?
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS
Version: GIT

Postby Torsten » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:59 am

Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently!

If you expect an answer, you might want to rephrase you question.
If you just wanted to express your frustration, I am happy to ignore it.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby onox » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:54 am

Torsten wrote in Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:59 am:
Don't hesitate to let me know if I'm incorrect or just annoying! As long as you do it gently!

If you expect an answer, you might want to rephrase you question.
If you just wanted to express your frustration, I am happy to ignore it.

Torsten

Well, I would like to know why you didn't do a git reset --hard and force push (ugly though) instead, which is what you IMHO should have done, but you're free to ignore my opinion.

Hyde wrote in Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 am:I'm sorry, onox. It's my bad at all.
I should have contacted you before merge.

Do you want to remove it?

I think it's too late for that. I'll create a new merge request with the fixes.
onox
Retired

Postby Torsten » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:45 pm

Well, I would like to know why you didn't do a git reset --hard and force push (ugly though) instead, which is what you IMHO should have done, but you're free to ignore my opinion.

Because we don't do forced pushing. Rewriting the history would have trashed many peoples fgdata copies.
The clean option would have been git revert. I did not feel in the position to do this. I trust Hyde as the maintainer and committer to judge if what he does is OK during the feature freeze.
Things are different for merge request when I push something in the name of others and suddenly I become responsible for any possible breakage eventually caused by others. In one of the two cases you mentioned, I asked the original author if it was OK to postpone the merge until after the freeze and he agreed. I was not involved in the second case.
So, in this special case: If Hydes last commit introduced a bug, the easiest way would be to revert this commit in the release branch.
That's probably as easy as
Code: Select all
git checkout release/3.4.0
git revert a95fcff
git push origin release/3.4.0

I hope this solves your issue.
Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby onox » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:35 pm

git revert is indeed cleaner if you don't mind keeping the original commit in history.
onox
Retired

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:53 pm

overall, if you disagree with something that happened during the release cycle, it would make sense to add this to the wiki, under the "lessons learnt" section there - Torsten specifically added this a few years ago, and he belongs to the very few people who seem to actually look at this, trying to incorporate viable changes into the release plan: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Release_plan/Lessons_learned

Admittedly, this used to be much better maintained a few years ago, but even if feedback/actions may not be immediate, it makes sense to help review each release process and help improve the release plan guidelines there.

Obviously, that assumes that people manage to keep a civil tone, i.e. without attacking anybody specifically - which is admittedly happening far too often around here. But this is one of those cases where Torsten is usually "part of the solution", not the problem - by actively discussing the "lessons learnt" section: https://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear ... 38749.html

Also, Torsten is supportive of additions to the release plan itself:
https://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear ... 32569.html
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Hyde » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:57 pm

I've reverted.
Sorry again for messing up.
Hyde

Callsign: N407DS