Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Error when trying to run FlightGear with three monitors

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Error when trying to run FlightGear with three monitors

Postby Thiyagu » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:32 am

while running flightgear3.0. application in 3 window display with 3 K5000 nvidia quadro graphics and 1 DELL precision T7610 PC(64 gb RAM) i am facing this error.

"Warning: deleting still referenced object 0x7f7fb8002220 of type 'PN3osg10ReferencedE' the final reference count was 4294967295 memory corruption possible"at ../src/Viewer/fg_os_osgviewer.cxx:202
202 *trigger_segfault = 0;
(gdb) bt
#0 0x00000000004c55ab in NotifyLogger::notify (this=0x172ba00,
severity=osg::WARN,
message=0x7fffcc004408 " the final reference count was 4294967294, memory corruption possible.\n") at ../src/Viewer/fg_os_osgviewer.cxx:202
#1 0x00007ffff7408528 in osg::NotifyStreamBuffer::sync() ()
from /usr/lib/libosg.so.80
#2 0x00007ffff2ef432e in std::ostream::flush() ()
from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#3 0x00007ffff74358bd in osg::Referenced::~Referenced() ()
from /usr/lib/libosg.so.80
#4 0x00007ffff7408cea in osg::Object::~Object() () from /usr/lib/libosg.so.80
#5 0x00007ffff5a59cc1 in osgUtil::RenderStageCache::~RenderStageCache() ()
from /usr/lib/libosgUtil.so.80
#6 0x00007ffff5a59d2a in osgUtil::RenderStageCache::~RenderStageCache() ()
#7 0x00007ffff7435b98 in osg::Referenced::signalObserversAndDelete(bool, bool) const () from /usr/lib/libosg.so.80
#8 0x00000000004a8667 in osg::Referenced::unref (this=0x7fffc4004230)
at /usr/local/include/osg/Referenced:198
#9 0x0000000000615589 in osg::ref_ptr<osg::Object>::operator= (
this=0x1cd8140, ptr=0x7fffcc0041b0) at /usr/local/include/osg/ref_ptr:58
#10 0x00007ffff5a46bcc in osg::Camera::setRenderingCache(osg::Object*) ()
Can anybody give the reason for it..........
Thiyagu

Re: Error when trying to run FlightGear with three monitors

Postby pommesschranke » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:52 pm

did you read the red box :
what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?

the way I use 3 monitors: connect them all to my nvidia GTX650 and stretch one window over all of them.(linux)
do you know the power consumption of you hardware ? ...I'm just curious.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby Johan G » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:29 am

I moved the post here. He did not see a red box where he originally posted. ;)

Edit: spelling
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Given that it is extremely unlikely that two unrelated users are using the exact same powerful workstation and seeing the exact same compilation error, I must have previously answered this a few days ago, when I said that these seem multi-threading related (aka race conditions), for which the posted backtrace is insufficient - please consider posting a full backtrace for all threads (especially SG/FG here), or using AddressSanitizer - equally, you'll want to provide us with a reproducible set of startup parameters for easily trying to replicate the issue - ideally, such a startup profile should NOT be specific to a single aircraft/location. And for the sake of simplicity it would help to provide a fgfsrc file, as well as pre-recorded flight and/or flight plan (route manager) for reproducing the segfault: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=24959

The code in question triggering the segfault, along with comments, can be seen here: https://gitorious.org/fg/flightgear/sou ... r.cxx#L195

Which is why I suggested to play with different threading modes for testing purposes, so that this can be hopefully tracked down step by step.
Keep in mind that most people don't have the horsepower/CPU cores to actually run into most of FlightGear's threading issues, but someone with your kind of setup is much more likely to actually see those issues.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Torsten » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Thiyagu wrote in Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:32 am:while running flightgear3.0. application in 3 window display with 3 K5000 nvidia quadro graphics and 1 DELL precision T7610 PC(64 gb RAM) i am facing this error.

Looks like a multi threading issue to me. When I run FlightGear with multiple screens and multiple cameras, the highes threading mode for OpenSceneGraph that works reliable is CullDrawThreadPerContext while the CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext quickly leads to a crash.

You can set the osg threading model upon startup with
--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullDrawThreadPerContext or add this to your rendering.xml as childs of the <rendering> element:
Code: Select all
     <!--multithreading-mode>AutomaticSelection</multithreading-mode-->
     <!--multithreading-mode>SingleThreaded</multithreading-mode-->
     <!-- multithreading-mode>DrawThreadPerContext</multithreading-mode -->
     <multithreading-mode>CullDrawThreadPerContext</multithreading-mode>
     <!--multithreading-mode>CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext</multithreading-mode-->

If it still does not work, try DrawThreadPerContext or even SingleThreaded and see if this helps.

(My full rendering.xml used at fsweekend2014 for six monitors driven from three GTX460 is here.

Torsten
flightgear.org - where development happens.
Torsten

Callsign: offline
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:30 pm

I already told them the exact same thing a few days ago - but I've added your advice to the wiki now: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Activa ... ding_modes
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Graphics