Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Fly Free?!

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Fly Free?!

Postby dragonfly » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Im not really sure if I should post that into "The FlightGear Project" or into "Multiplayer Events"... Actually its both, so Ill post it into both...
As far as I know (one of) the motto for fg is "Fly Free!". But how can you harmonise things like ATCs, where people control areas in mp, where maybe other people (together!) want to fly uncontrolled, with the idea of flying free?
Im curious what you will answer to this!
Regards
DragonFly
dragonfly

Re: Fly Free?!

Postby sanhozay » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 pm

The free is free as in free software:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Necolatis » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:52 pm

As far as I know there are 20.000 airports available.

Its not hard to look on the MP map, and see where the ATCs are, and fly somewhere else.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Sounds like a feature request.

A method to group you and your flying buddies in a "hidden" or private session.

If that was available then at least there would be an alternative.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby zlsa » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 pm

You can always just start your own MP server and play with friends.
zlsa

Callsign: N275A
Version: 3.5 git

Postby KL-666 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 pm

The answer of sanhozay is the correct one. Multiplayer is another issue. When people are hindering an ongoing atc event, they are ignored by the participants by choosing the ignore option next to the hindering pilots name in pilot list. Then all problems are solved for the event.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Postby islandmonkey » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Note to people: this derives from what happened to dragonfly at EDDF last night. See 12 to 17min, http://emmerich-j.de/EDDF/Films/20141217wed1856-57.ogv
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm

I happened on the MP server right as this was taking place. That is the only reason I am replying to this event.
I have little experience with the MP server and was immediately concerned that I may also be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Using common sense and a bit of judgment I figured I was a safe distance from EDDF and at a low enough altitude as to not be a problem.

Is there a safe distance and altitude that won't interfere with these events when they take place?

If someone wanted to watch planes landing during one of these events from in sim, how would you recommend they gain access to the immediate airport area to park and watch?

Is there a spectator mode in MP?

Does the UFO interfere with normal flights?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby elgaton » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm

wlbragg wrote in Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm:Is there a safe distance and altitude that won't interfere with these events when they take place?

I think this may vary depending on the controller - personally, I try to maintain a minimum horizontal separation of 5 NM and a minimum vertical separation of 2000 ft (if both planes are in flight); if the spectator is on the ground, staying on or above the apron (let's say not higher than 3000/4000 ft in case another plane needs to overfly the airport) causes no problems.

wlbragg wrote in Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm:If someone wanted to watch planes landing during one of these events from in sim, how would you recommend they gain access to the immediate airport area to park and watch?

1. Start FlightGear with the UFO. Make sure you are disconnected from the multiplayer server.
  2. "Taxi" to the apron and rise (with the Home key). The key point is not to fly over runways/approach paths in any way (unless cleared) and not to obstruct taxiways. A good strategy might be to start at a stand and ask the ATC for a taxi clearance (so that he'll be aware of you).
  3. Only then connect to the multiplayer server.

wlbragg wrote in Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm:Is there a spectator mode in MP?

There isn't. (EDIT: as Johan G correctly pointed out, every callsign starting with "obs" hides it from the player list.)

wlbragg wrote in Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 pm:Does the UFO interfere with normal flights?

It does not.

Another key point I'd like to throw in as a regular ATC (disclaimer: I haven't watched the video mentioned above yet) - we're aware of the fact that some pilots prefer to fly uncontrolled (a similar question popped in during the preparations for the last Festival of FlightGear). In that case, if the controller asks the pilot to "say his/her intentions", just saying "I'd like to fly uncontrolled" on the chat suffices; the pilot will not be contacted again (unless it seems [s]he's going to land to/depart from the controlled airport or a collision is about to occur). Simple, yet effective communication is the key.
Last edited by elgaton on Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW

Postby Johan G » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 pm

I have not tried myself, but the FlightGear Multiplayer Server wiki article mentions:
Special callsigns:
  • "obsXXXX" (replace X's with any character you like) allows a connected FlightGear client to view all other MP pilots worldwide (position data and chat messages), yet remain invisible to them and on MPmap.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby sanhozay » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:48 pm

elgaton wrote in Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm:

There isn't.

I've used a callsign of OBS_XXXX (where XXXX is anything you choose) in the past and not appeared on the MP map. I've used it in both OpenRadar when adjusting route overlays and when using the ATC2 aircraft to obsrve ground movements.

Doesn't that work any more? I'm not at a computer to check at the moment.

EDIT: Johan beat me to it.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ

Postby pommesschranke » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 am

cool! I did not know that feature.
I picked obs1234 as a callsign chose "Model View" and zapped myself around the globe watching others fly.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Postby simbambim » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:11 am

If someone wanted to watch planes landing during one of these events from in sim, how would you recommend they gain access to the immediate airport area to park and watch?

If the airport has so much traffic that it's interesting to watch, I don't think a properly parked plane could bother anyone.

The OBS callsign doesn't work for me.
Fly on VATSIM and die.
simbambim

Version: 3.2

Postby Jabberwocky » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:01 am

Hi,

just to throw in another aspect in this discussion:

Since the MP system is anyway more than ripe for a modernization, it is maybe worth to consider server groups. We have for example a lot of modern planes and then for other groups WWII or WWI timers. Maybe the idea of a period-server is worth to consider. Just throwing out to gather opinions.

J.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby KL-666 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:04 am

Not a bad idea Jabberwocky. But in the current situation with <100 users online i do not see the problem yet. If WW aircraft like to pick an unused airfield (of which there are enough at the moment) there is no problem. Only when they plan to bomb a modern airport like EDDF there is some conflict.

Kind regards, Vincent
KL-666

Next

Return to The FlightGear project