Board index FlightGear Support Tools Atlas

First time Atlas user install help

Atlas is an addon that lets FlightGear users display a real-time "moving-map" of their flight.

First time Atlas user install help

Postby rustyr0824 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Hello first time Atlas user. I have managed to download the installer. Figured out that it wants to put itself not in c:\program files\flightgear 3.2.0 but rather in c:\program files\flightgear 3.2.0\flightgear\bin\win32 which was a bit confusing to begin with. I tried manually setting:
C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\bin\Win32>set FG_ROOT=c:\program files\flightgear 3.2.0\data
and
C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\bin\Win32>set FG_SCENERY=c:\program files\flightgear 3.2.0\data\scenery;c:\users\rusty\documents\flightgear\custom scenery;c:\users\rusty\documents\flightgear\terrasync
But when I try the build program via:
C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\bin\Win32>map --size=1024 --atlas=c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data\Atlas
I get:
No scenery paths could be found. You need to set either a valid FG_ROOT and/or FG_SCENERY variable, or specify a valid --fg-root and/or --fg-scenery on the com
mand line.
Even though I had just set it above.
Then after numerous tries I finally got below to run without erroring out:
C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\bin\Win32>map --size=1024 --atlas=c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data\Atlas --fg-root=c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data --f
g-scenery=c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data\scenery;c:\users\rusty\documents\flight gear\custom~1;c:\users\rusty\documents\flightgear\terrasync
But when I went back and actually ran:
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\bin\Win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\Data"
Nothing was actually updated from the first time I ran Atlas, by mistake, just after installing it.
What am I missing here?
It's a little confusing because the Wiki page is providing instructions based off of earlier instances of FG.
I know I'm close but still not quiet getting it.
I was expecting something to 'run' for a long while because I have all 4 Blue Ray's of Scenery data.
Also does anyone know how much space this would use up?
Thanks
Rusty
rustyr0824

Re: First time Atlas user install help

Postby rustyr0824 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Thinking out loud here:
Unless the install icon on my desktop is only doing this:
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\bin\Win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\Data"

But really I want it do be doing this:
C:\Program Files\FlightGear\bin\win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program~1\FlightGear~1\Data" "--path=C:\Program~1\FlightGear\data\Atlas" --udp=5500

But really really I want it to do this:
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\flightgear\bin\win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\Data" "--path=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\data\Atlas" --udp=5500

That appeared to work in an Atlas Enviorment, I saw a slew of airports. But no scenery.
So do I need to set a "--fg-scenery=c:\program files\flightgear 3.2.0\data\scenery;c:\users\rusty\documents\flightgear\custom scenery;c:\users\rusty\documents\flightgear\terrasync"

So that the line would now be:
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\flightgear\bin\win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\Data" "--fg-scenery=c:\program files\flightgear 3.2.0\data\scenery;c:\users\rusty\documents\flightgear\custom scenery;c:\users\rusty\documents\flightgear\terrasync" "--path=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\data\Atlas" --udp=5500

Which I think will work but it's too long for Start/Run
And DOS gets confused between the "'s and the space between Program and Files.

Thoughts???

I still am not certain the original MAP part did anything as it didn't run for a long time like I was expecting.
rustyr0824

Postby rustyr0824 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:20 am

I might be making some progress. from the \flightgear 3.2.0\flightgear\bin\win32 directory I set ROOT and SCENERY. That seemed to work fine. Now I'm running:
C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\FlightGear\bin\Win32>map --size=1024 --atlas=c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data\Atlas
And getting:
Written 'c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data\Atlas/e000n05.png'
Written 'c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data\Atlas/e000n06.png'
............................____
So it looks like it's doing something this time, even though task manager is saying Map (32 bit) "not responding".
I think what I did differently before was that I set ROOT and SCENERY in one dos window and then ran the actual map program with arguments in another dos window. Not sure why that would matter, but I guess it does.

And possibly when that is done, now that it looks like it's actually doing something, then maybe this will work:
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\flightgear\bin\win32\atlas.exe" "--fg-root=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\Data" "--path=C:\Program Files\FlightGear 3.2.0\data\Atlas" --udp=5500

Might actually work, crossing fingers.
And I saw in a youtube video that unlike MSFS (I know wash my mouth out) where Atlas is part of the top line menu choice. For this Atlas I would have to run one window as Atlas and another as my actual plane. Or if I had dual screens one screen hosting Atlas and the other hosting flightgear.

Rusty
rustyr0824

Postby rustyr0824 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:27 am

Well I had to stop it.
It was writing to:
'c:\program~1\flightgear~1\data\Atlas/e000n09.png'
Literally
It's because I'm not knowing dos enough:

Need to google dos to be able to get rid of the ~1. Or just let it run and copy all the e00 files to their proper directory.

I'm getting there, even if I'm having to write here to figure it out.

:-)
Rusty
rustyr0824

Return to Atlas