Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

The F14b JSBsim by Richard Harrison

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: The F14b JSBsim by Richard Harrison

Postby Thorsten » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:41 pm

V1.2 now does fine with the Vinson as well:

Thorsten

Postby abassign » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:32 am

With FGCamera there is a problem, as you can see in thi pictures, the old panels is not active (?), While the new ones are active. You can fix this bug?
The HUD with FGCamera, if you move your point of view, go out of the front window ... I think you can fix it with a HUD made by Canvas, is perhaps a little complicated...

Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
FDM developer of the G91R1B aircraft https://wiki.flightgear.org/FIAT_G91R1B
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Callsign: I-BASSY
Version: 2020.4

Postby abassign » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:51 am

I believe in the instrument panel of the F14, the inscriptions has illuminated at night. I do not think it's difficult to do this effect, similar to that wonderfully made for the 757 and the 777.

I made a small example by hand painting lettering on the bottom right, the effect seems ok.

What I say is true for F14 ?
We can do ?

This is a real example of an instrument panel in the night version:

http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/suppliers/illuminated-light-plates/paramount-panels-uk
Developer of the program https://wiki.flightgear.org/Julia_photoscenery_generator
JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:56 pm

abassign wrote in Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:32 am:With FGCamera there is a problem, as you can see in thi pictures, the old panels is not active (?), While the new ones are active. You can fix this bug?
The HUD with FGCamera, if you move your point of view, go out of the front window ... I think you can fix it with a HUD made by Canvas, is perhaps a little complicated...

When not in a view named "Cockpit View" the detailed cockpit is mainly hidden. I will look at doing this better using the view distances to hide them instead.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Philosopher » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 am

IIRC there's some kind of "internal" property on the views that you might be able to use (not sure if FGCamera sets that or not). That might even be used to the inside/outside sounds, if so I would consider it the "correct" way to go, but I don't know.
Philosopher

Postby Marius_A » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:15 pm

FGCamera uses dedicated views with names "FGCamera1", "FGCamera2", "FGCamera3", "FGCamera4", "FGCamera5" with view numbers 120, 121, 122, 123, 124.
Some aircraft models check for specific view name, and other check for specific view numbers. To be fully compatible with fgcamera, aircraft model should check the property "/sim/current-view/internal" instead of view name or view number.
F-14b with modified model *.xml files:
Marius_A

Postby abassign » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:31 am

It seems interesting news that the first microprocessor in history was the one made for F14, was used for the "Central Air Data Computer (CADC)" was called MP944.

And one just replaced the two units of the CADC Phantom!

A beautiful progress, true!

This article has many documents that clearly explain this historical fact:

http://www.firstmicroprocessor.com/

It is was:

My Claims for the F14A Microprocessor and Related Chip Set
1 st microprocessor and microcomputer
1 st aerospace microprocessor and microcomputer
1 st “fly-by-wire” flight computer
1 st military microprocessor and microcomputer
1 st production microprocessor and microcomputer
1 st fully integrated chip set microprocessor and microcomputer
1 st 20-bit microprocessor and microcomputer
1 st microprocessor and microcomputer with built-in programmed self-test and redundancy
1 st microprocessor and microcomputer in a digital signal processor (DSP) application
1 st microprocessor and microcomputer with execution pipelining
1 st microprocessor and microcomputer with parallel processing
1 st integrated math co-processors (PDU and PMU)
1 st Read-Only Memory (ROM) with a built-in program counter

The project was kept secret for almost 30 years, and then the primacy of the first microprocessor was always held by Intel 4004.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Air_Data_Computer

Reading the document is possible to know the main features of the CADC and the algorithm used to calculate the dynamic data of the flight, using the data from the static and dynamic air intake.

This is the documentation link: http://www.firstmicroprocessor.com/thepaper/

The Power Point conference document is this: http://firstmicroprocessor.com/documents/2013powerpoint.ppt, this document explain the CADC architecture and make one example for Equation Flow to calculate the Angle of Attack. For example is possible to know that the the system make 18.3 cycles per second. This is the correction frequency adopted by the system. Theoretically, for a greater reality of the flight, this is the frequency of update for the data that should be adopted for the simulation.

JSBSim collaborator
abassign

Postby jarl.arntzen » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Quite a pleasure to fly approaches with the new FDM. It really "makes sense" combined with the noisy wind tugging when lowering the landing gear and deploying the airbrake. Great feeling! 8)
The only slight drawback that I found was that even with one wing missing, it still flies regardless. Now, of course, a proper pilot will keep well clear of Vne and multiple Gs but it would still be interesting if this also were part of the FDM. Maybe optional?
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Bomber » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:44 pm

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchel
Bomber

Postby jarl.arntzen » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:34 am

Yes. I know it's very possible to fly and even land with parts of the wing missing, I didn't know about the F14 cases, though. Very impressive.

Around 5 years ago I saw a video of single prop snapping off its wing at high G load at some air show. Thanks to quick thinking by the pilot, he not only continued flying 45 degrees on the side, using the rudder as a vertical stabilizer, he also, if I remember correctly, went in for a low, slow final and simply swung around at the right moment, landing perfectly on the wheels.

My point was simply that the new F14b, does not have any kind damage simulation wrt to a missing wing but it's no big deal at all. In fact, I think focusing on creating a tremendously realistically perfoming FDM without that kind of damage sim is a very wise decision by Richard Harrison. If you're flying so bad (like me) that the wings fall off, it means I'm simply missing out on the finer points of the new aircraft FDM :)
Frequent Flyer. Occasional Lander.
jarl.arntzen

IRC name: Jarl Arntzen
Version: 2017.1.1

Postby Red Leader » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi guys,
I have some feedback on the new JSBSim F-14B. I like the way it handles differently to the old YASim one. However, there are some errors in my console:
Code: Select all
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/hydraulics/flight-system-
psi
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/hydraulics/combined-syste
m-psi
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/hydraulics/flight-system-
psi
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/hydraulics/combined-syste
m-psi
psi
m-psi
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/electrics/ac-right-main-b
us
psi
m-psi
m-psi
m-psi
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for fcs/wing-sweep-cmd
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/afcs/altitude-hold-alt-di
ff-feet
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/afcs/altitude-hold-alt-di
ff-feet
ff-feet
ff-feet
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for systems/catapult/cat-pos-norm

In file C:/FlightGear/FlightGear 3.2.0/data/Aircraft/f-14b/f-14a.xml: line 684
      Property systems/hook/tailhook-cmd-norm is already defined.
Failed to tie property fcs/sweep-control to object methods
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for fcs/wing-sweep-cadc-dmd
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for fcs/wing-sweep-cadc-dmd
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for fcs/aux-flap-pos-deg
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for fcs/aux-flap-pos-deg
FGPropertyManager::GetNode() No node found for fcs/roll-trim-actuator
Failed to tie property systems/NWS/engaged to object methods
Failed to tie property fcs/flaps-control to object methods

The aircraft still seems to fly OK, though. I've recently been testing a new tanker.nas (see Scripted AI Objects), which required me to do some mid-air refuelling in the Tomcat. I've noticed that the TACAN indicator in the HSD doesn't seem to work, but I've found a fix, which is to replace these lines in both f-14b/Models/Cockpit/hsd2.xml and f-14b/Models/Cockpit/hsd-hsd.xml ...

<animation>
   <type>rotate</type>
   <object-name>tacan-bearing</object-name>
   <property>instrumentation/tacan/indicated-mag-bearing-deg</property>   
        <axis><x>-1</x></axis>
</animation>

... with ...
<animation>
   <type>rotate</type>
   <object-name>tacan-bearing</object-name>
   <property>instrumentation/tacan/indicated-bearing-true-deg</property>   
        <axis><x>-1</x></axis>
</animation>

Also, it would be helpful to have target circles in the HUD. Other than that, well done on upgrading the F-14B. It's more enjoyable and more challenging, especially in the low-speed and high-alpha regime. And I like the lighting in Rembrandt.

All the best,
Red Leader
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Projects:
BAe Sea Harrier FA2Scripted AI Objects frameworkDocumenting Nasal
Red Leader

Callsign: Red-Led
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Richard » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Red_Leader wrote in Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:35 pm:... errors in my console:

... TACAN indicator in the HSD doesn't seem to work, but I've found a fix, which is to replace these lines in both f-14b/Models/Cockpit/hsd2.xml and f-14b/Models/Cockpit/hsd-hsd.xml ...

The error messages / warnings in the console are normal; most of them are because of the way I did the systems (hyds, electrics) which depend on each other and the engines but there is a problem with the resolution of the properties which is fixed up by jsbsim later on.

The TACAN is working - but you need to set the appropriate mode on the panel (T/R).

I'm in the progress of updating the documents to cover my changes; and to document how the F-14 works
Richard

Postby hvengel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Richard wrote in Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:42 pm:The error messages / warnings in the console are normal; most of them are because of the way I did the systems (hyds, electrics) which depend on each other and the engines but there is a problem with the resolution of the properties which is fixed up by jsbsim later on...

You can also declare and initialize these in your *set.xml file. Then you will not get these messages.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Red Leader » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:42 pm

Hello again,
Sorry for the late reply. I will make myself clearer. Both the pilot and the Radar Intercept Officer (RIO) have a Horizontal Situation Display (HSD). The pilot's HSD is located below on the central panel below the Vertical Situation Display (VSD), while the RIO's HSD is positioned on the right console. They are effectively duplicates of each other, so both share the same problem. There is an indicator to show the bearing of the TACAN station relative to the aircraft. However, the property that both look for is instrumentation/tacan/indicated-mag-bearing-deg, which doesn't exist, whereas the correct property is instrumentation/tacan/indicated-bearing-true-deg. Another thing that I've remembered is that the old F-14B had a targeting diamond in the HUD when the radar locked on to a target. I don't yet know how that got broken, but I can still fire AIM-9s. Again, well done on improving the F-14B Tomcat.

Regards,
Red Leader
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Projects:
BAe Sea Harrier FA2Scripted AI Objects frameworkDocumenting Nasal
Red Leader

Callsign: Red-Led
Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:01 pm

Red_Leader wrote in Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:42 pm:...the property that both look for is instrumentation/tacan/indicated-mag-bearing-deg,

That property is set in Nasal/instruments.nas line 196 based on indicated-bearing-true-deg - so providing that the TACAN is in the right mode so it should work.

The targeting diamond works for me; providing the HUD is in AA mode (:AHa key sequence or use the buttons) and the Radar is in TWS Auto.

Something like this

Red_Leader wrote in Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:42 pm:Again, well done on improving the F-14B Tomcat.

Thanks; I just hope it works for you now.
Richard

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft