Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Does flightgear use Directx 11-Equivalent OpenGL Coding yet?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Does flightgear use Directx 11-Equivalent OpenGL Coding yet?

Postby KyleKatarn » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:14 pm

I was wondering if were using DirectX-11 Equivilant coding yet in OpenGL (or 10). The reason i ask is that im going to optimize my drivers FlightGear profile for it and i have different Performance across OpenGL 2, 3 and 4. Im getting decent framerates for my system with it Maxed at 1280x1024 With Rembrandt enabled but im trying to get a few more FPS so i was wondering what settings would have the Biggest Performance impact weighted by the Graphical enhancements they provide. My graphics card (Surprisingly) is on the recommended list, so i think its just they way i have FlightGear Set up (1280x1024, 2x Filtering, No AA, Maxed except for Clouds, and Rembrandt Enabled). Heres my system

AMD Athlon 64 2.20GHZ Socket AM2
NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB PCI-E
Creative Labs Soundblaster X-Fi
2GB DDR2 RAM
160GB Internal HDD + 500GB External HDD
2 Monitors (One at Near 1080p, the other is 1280x1024 aka the Primary Monitor)

Any suggestions on how to get a few more fps without a huge performance loss is apperciated. Thanks in Advance
Windows 7 64-Bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHZ (4 Cores)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750TI 2GB MSI Gaming Factory OC @ PCI-E 1.1
Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-FI Go! Pro USB (E.A.X. 5, 64-Channel)
4GB PNY Optima DDR2 667MHZ
1TB Total Storage
KyleKatarn

Callsign: AirWhoopass
Version: v3.4.0

Re: Does flightgear use Directx 11-Equivalent OpenGL Coding

Postby Hooray » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:59 pm

recently-added (post 2.6) rendering related features will usually be using "modern" OSG code, legacy code may still be using raw OpenGL (which includes some features like the Map dialog, despite being relatively "recent, i.e. post-OSG). Overall, FG rendering is not yet sufficiently unified unfortunately, but this is work in progress-which is being especially facilitated by adopting the Canvas system in more and more areas to help establish a single 2D rendering back-end that's using OSG.
For general optimization advice, you'll want to refer to the wiki and do manual testing to see what works best for you though - FG itself is not particularly optimized, and also not particularly efficient in many areas - so that there are usually more critical factors involved than your drivers/application profile.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Graphics