Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

runway ligths (other)

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: runway ligths (other)

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:44 am

please explain?

I think Hooray is referring to windows nightly builds.

As far as adding it to 3.0, I'm less sure about that as I don't know how much change has been made between now and then that might cause trouble or need to be addressed.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:49 am

Thanks. Just what is Windows-nightly and what does it do?
MountainFlyerN22

Callsign: N22
Version: 3.0.0

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:55 am

It's the most current (hopefully stable) build of FlightGear. It contains all the new features and stuff people are working on. It's like getting the next version of FlightGear in advance, but before it's finished and optimized. So right now it's more or less FlightGear version 3.3.0.
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:55 am

MountainFlyerN22 wrote in Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:49 am:Thanks. Just what is Windows-nightly and what does it do?

Please see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_Build_Server
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:02 am

The only thing I might be concerned about with installing a nightly build or really any different or multiple versions of FlightGear is that sometimes the user/data files (semi-hidden files) can get confused between the versions and cause you trouble. If that happens all you really have to do is wipe everything FlightGear and re-install just one version and it usually works well again.
I usually have 3-7 different version or even multiples of the same versions for different things. After awhile you get used to knowing what to do to switch between them and fix stuff that gets confused.
I guess that is why I suggested editing 3.2 (if that is what you are using) rather than installing a second version, so they don't mixed up. But editing the files require you to know a little something about it also.
wlbragg

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:10 am

The only thing that should involve is your $FG_HOME, which is easy enough to back up/restore - no need to delete/re-install thing from scratch.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:30 am

If your referring to "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org" then OK.
This is where I have had trouble before using a mix of versions.
Technically just deleting everything in flightgear.org and running FG again should straiten it out. But you will loose all your saves settings.
I was just forewarning MountainFlyerN22 that it can be an issue using multiple versions.
Not to mention the changes you have to make in the launcher to switch back and forth.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:01 am

Technically the easiest thing to do if your running 3.2 is to backup your Shader and Effects folders and replace them with the same folder from current GIT.
That is what I did and I have all the best effects from current GIT in my 3.2 FG version. It is working fine and I don't think there is anything not accounted for or any ill effects.
It's not until you try that with the Materials that you run into trouble because there is some major differences between 3.2 Materials and GIT.
Thorsten, please correct me if I am wrong.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:57 am

Technically the easiest thing to do if your running 3.2 is to backup your Shader and Effects folders and replace them with the same folder from current GIT.

Won't really work completely for the lights, as there's a correlated simgear change marking to the shader whether lights are directional or not. And will probably wreck clouds once I push the scalable transparency factor, because if that ends up being fed as zero to the shader, that's a problem.

So you might get lucky, but there's no guarantee it works in general.
Thorsten

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:41 am

there's a correlated simgear change

So there is, I didn't see that.
Thank You
wlbragg

Previous

Return to Graphics