Board index FlightGear Development

FGTAPE file in excel

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

FGTAPE file in excel

Postby ali.6361 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 am

one more thing I got FGTape file of a recorded flight how could I get the parameters in excel format .... thanku in advance
ali.6361

Re: FGTAPE file in excel

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:00 am

by parsing and converting it.
Alternatively, use the CSV logger and import the CSV file, which is directly supported by Excel: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Property_Logging
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ali.6361 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:14 pm

I tried using CSV but some unknown format came can I have the stuff like longiyude n latitude etc in numbers in excel ... if yes then please guide me
ali.6361

Postby Hooray » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Yes, you can - please look at the link I posted: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Property_Logging
You only need to change the properties accordingly.
For more info, please refer to $FG_ROOT/Docs/README.logging

PS: If I'll keep having the impression that you don't even read what we post, I'll start to ignore your postings.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby ali.6361 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Kindly tell me what is parsing and how can I do it

Sorry sir please don't ignore me i read but couldn't understand can u please how can I convert it .... sorry to bother you again sir
Last edited by Gijs on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please edit your post if you forgot to add something
ali.6361

Postby CasJanM » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:07 pm

I am sorry for "waking the dead" but i am interested in this topic as well.

Because i lack the terms "CSV" and "parsing and converting" - do i understand it correctly, that after recording a flight there exists a different file from the FGTape file, named .csv? Which then can be imported into excel without difficulty?
Or do you suggest writing a individual logging with the variables one wants to know, thus creating an additional .csv file which in return can be used in excel?

Concerning "parsing and converting", do you mean using additional programs with the FGTape file to create .txt files?

I would be grateful for some basic answers.
CasJanM

Postby Hooray » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:16 pm

• CSV= comma separated values: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Property_Logging
  • parsing: processing an input stream
  • converting: matching the data found and turning it into a different set of dat
  • no fgtape files have nothing to do with CSV files (see first link above)
  • CSV is probably the recommended format for exporting/importing data into a spreadsheet, it really is very straightforward
  • creating your own logging scheme is possible and easy, but unnecessary if all you need is properties as CSV data
  • if you need more flexibility, you can use the generic protocol system (see your other thread), or even use Nasal scripting in combination with io.nas
  • if you need a text file using some other file format, e.g. IGC or even binary stuff, you'll almost certainly have to use Nasal scripting instead of the hard-coded CSV-logging or generic protocol systems

PS: thanks for doing a forum search, but please don't cross-post - also, the "interfacing" sub forum is the most appropriate place for your questions. Equally, the wiki contains tons of resources covering exactly what you need
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Development