Board index FlightGear Development New features

Walking through the Scenery: The portable Walker

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

Re: Walking through the Scenery: The portable Walker

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:12 pm

it's optional, and very much unlikely to utilize a ton of of resources, especially in comparison with most of our aircraft, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby philnx » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks to both for your answers.

Johan G wrote in Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:55 pm:For the most part I agree, though it could potentially be used for pre- and postflight walkarounds. ;)

Sure it could. :) I actually find the currently available external views very useful when I wish to "exit" from the plane.

Hooray wrote in Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:12 pm:it's optional, and very much unlikely to utilize a ton of of resources, especially in comparison with most of our aircraft, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds good, thank you.

Overall, the project is getting better, more complete and realistic with every new release, and the 2.0 scenery was one of the great improvements. Besides, I searched the forum and I'm glad to see that the developers are sticking to the "simulator" concept, rather than willing to switch to "game" mode. Of course flying with FG is great fun.

Greetings.
philnx

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm

More of a theoretical question at the moment, but we were joking around yesterday about business and luxury jets and what would be cool to have. One thing was a flight-attendant bringing coffee to the cockpit. Which, technically sounds like a female walker with a coffee cup to me. So, what about walkers walking around in planes in the future?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby chriscalef » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Ooh, that's always fun, trying to move a character around inside of a moving coordinate system. It would probably be much easier using a modeling format like collada or fbx that includes animation internally, so the base position/orientation of the character could be locked to the transform of the plane, and alls animations would be played relative to that base.

It might not be a big deal either to do it the way we're currently moving the walker, but you'd have to convert the forward/side/back movement vectors to the plane's transform as you went.

Of course being really realistic in terms of turbulence, maneuvers, etc would require either some kind of physics sim or FDM for the human, or else (maybe preferably) to just fake it with animations responding to each type of situation. Hopefully your business class jet won't also be getting in dogfights or aerobatics shows ;-) but at least the prospect of turbulence might deserve a set of response anims.
chriscalef

Postby HJ1AN » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 am

chriscalef wrote in Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 pm: Hopefully your business class jet won't also be getting in dogfights or aerobatics shows ;-) but at least the prospect of turbulence might deserve a set of response anims.

Reading this reminds me of all those ragdoll flash games of the falling body, except just inside airplane fuselages.... :lol:
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Postby Wombat » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Which line do I have to Change to enable the walker?
Operations Director of MerlionBlue/Europe - Merlion Hub Manager for EGKK - Controller for LOWI (NIATCA-project) - Fan of Lufthansa - ATC services at European Airports
Wombat

Callsign: MIA1481/DLH159
Version: FG 3.0

Postby Catalanoic » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Wombat wrote in Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:49 pm:Which line do I have to Change to enable the walker?

I have the same problem
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby chriscalef » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:58 pm

I thought it just came up as a new menu if the files were present in fgdata, but I see that is not the case for me either... did something change?
chriscalef

Postby DFaber » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:07 pm

The Walker is now available as a "Stand-Alone" Aircraft :-) Along with two new Halloween Characters, so you can be appear properly when you join the Pumpkin Ride:

http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24182

Get the latest Development Snapshot here,

http://cms.flightgear-de.net/index.php/engoben/91-comdiffen/112-humanen

unzip the Archive to your fgdata Directory and look for "walker" in your favourite Launcher. (Adding the --config option is of course still possible if you don't want to walk too far ;-) ).
Meet this new Fella:

and another uglier one...

Greetings
Detlef Faber
FlightGear Development:
http://flightgear-de.net

my 3D-Art:
https://www.sol2500.net
DFaber

Version: GIT

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Remind me to download the walker (will do config file so I can do 777 etc post pre flights)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Vladimir Akimov » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:11 am

I must try this
You know me from youtube :)
I'm VladFlyer, take a look :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBOvOg ... yNsYKuAxbw
Vladimir Akimov

Callsign: VladFlyer
Version: 3.2.0

Postby benrob0329 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:27 am

I'm glad that it's included in 2016.1 but I think that we could use some new models (the current ones don't look very good compared to the aircraft)
benrob0329

Version: 2016.1

Postby SplitDecision » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 am

How is it usable in 2016.1.0, other than when using the 172P? I tried to download it from the website http://cms.flightgear-de.net/index.php/ ... ar-Walker/ but I get an error. I don't think its downloadable from there anymore.
Developing the RNZAF A4K Skyhawk for FlightGear. Download: https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/A-4K
SplitDecision

Callsign: SplitDec, NZStrik

Postby pommesschranke » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:52 pm

no need for any extra download.
it is included in Aircraft/Generic/Human

change the <PropertyList> line at the beginning of your aircraft's -set.xml:

Code: Select all
<PropertyList include="Aircraft/Generic/Human/Include/walker-include.xml">
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman