Board index FlightGear Development

Two questions about bombable: forums and sound

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Two questions about bombable: forums and sound

Postby chriscalef » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Well, I finally starting digging into bombable, shot down a cessna or two and started looking at the scripts, and... wow!!! Much appreciation to flug and anyone else who was involved in creating this monster!

But some questions arise:

First, is there a specific forum for bombable dev discussion somewhere?

And second, my main question: has it really made it this far with no bombable-specific sound layer at all, or am I totally missing something? I couldn't find any sound files, and can't hear my guns firing or getting hit by enemies, or any sound when I crash. Is this because it was too hard to find GPL sound files, or it just wasn't a priority? (Or am I just missing them?)

Either way though, excellent work!!! Foreseeing myself having much fun here...
chriscalef

Re: Two questions about bombable: forums and sound

Postby Hooray » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:41 pm

no separate subforum, but the "Nasal" subforum would seem appropriate. Flug tends to use the bombable thread itself to get announce changes and discuss development, but he's usually kinda busy and it may take him several months to get back in touch - he seems to respond to PMs, and he gave me commit/admin access to the github repo, so I can apply stuff and also add other contributors. Anybody looking to pick up his work and extend it should ideally look at his roadmap/plans, i.e. the text files that are part of the package, but also his comments in the bombable thread. Otherwise, I see no reason why I shouldn't add fellow Nasal scripters as contributors so that they can help maintain bombable.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby chriscalef » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Right on, well if I find myself doing anything worthy of a pull request I'll let you know.
chriscalef

Postby Hooray » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:03 pm

You asked about this yesterday: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Adding ... r_Aircraft (see the navbar for related articles)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby chriscalef » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Hm, regarding sound, I did finally notice that my A6M2-Bombable file actually does include sound files for Vickers machine gun and a 20mm gun, but I don't hear these when I fire. Is this normal behavior, are they just not hooked up or is something broken on my install?
chriscalef

Postby Hooray » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:42 pm

it used to work obviously according to the videos
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Please check if they are in stereo. Since a few releases FlightGear only support mono sound files. I think the sound libraries can not place sound sources that are in stereo. I might be wrong though.

Sound in FlightGear in general seems to live in fg/flightgear/src/sound and fg/simgear/sound. Unfortunately I am C++ illiterate. :roll:

Edit: The little user documentation I find on sound seems to be data/Docs/README.xmlsound and the wiki page Howto:Reload sound config without restarting FG.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Hooray » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:49 pm

that's a good point, I had completely forgotten about that !
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby chriscalef » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks Johan, I'll look into that!
chriscalef

Return to Development