Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

FlightGear in Eyecandy Mode

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FlightGear in Eyecandy Mode

Postby turtle » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:18 am

As the title says, I want to run flightgear with all the bells and whistles for my hardware specs. I already have most of the general stuff checked, but I am not sure how the others affect the visible stuff.

Hardware:
Processor: AMD FX-6300 Quad Core CPU (2 extra virtual cores)
Graphics Card: GIGABYTE Geforce GTX 760 2GB
SSD: Corsair Neutron 250GB
turtle

Re: FlightGear in Eyecandy Mode

Postby f-ojac » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:25 pm

And what is your precise question?
f-ojac

Version: GIT

Postby turtle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Should I run Rembrandt? And how about Atmospheric light scattering?
The first one I don't seem to notice the difference since I have to exit the game to enable it. As for the second one, I am not sure if this is better since the sky changes completely. When I enable atmospheric light-scattering it makes the sky look nicer, but also appears unrealistic (almost no clouds).

Has anybody gotten the simulator to run smoothly at max settings with no stuttering? (Can you post the hardware specs)
turtle

Postby hvengel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:57 pm

For me it is very smooth. I have a high end system with a newer higher end I7 Intel processor (IE. one with 8 virtual cores that maxes out at 3.9GHz) with an overclocked 4GB GTX770 and 16G memory but I am also running a 2560x1600 monitor. I run ALS with all of the shaders more or less maxed out, random buildings, random trees and with some tweaks on the nvidia driver side. I generally see frame rates right at the vsync rate (60FPS) most of the time with max latencies of around 20ms most of the time. I turn off frame rate throttling in FG because this seemed to get the number wrong (IE. I would set it for 60 and it would throttle to 50) and use the dynamic throttling feature in the new nvidia drivers which seems to work great.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Hooray » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:59 pm

For me it is very smooth.

how about resource hogs like the 777-200 or the extra500 ? What kind of performance are you seeing there, and what is the performance saying regarding "expensive" subsystems (events/Nasal or still Canvas) ?
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ChrisD » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:59 pm

I run with everything maxed. I have Rembrandt and a-light-scattering disabled.
It looks great.
I have an i5, 8gb ram and gtx770 4gb
ChrisD

Postby turtle » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:05 pm

Hmm. GTX 770 4GB seems to be the sweet spot. My GTX 760 2GB struggles even at 30 FPS. :(

ChrisD I find that interesting. So it seems that the random buildings and vegetation do not require much memory. I figured I would need 16GB, but your rig is doing fine with only 8GB. Could it be possible that this rendering feature refers to GPU memory?
turtle

Postby hvengel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:07 am

The most expensive aircraft I run is the P-51D which is only resource intensive when the guns are being fired. The version in git has more gun related animations and in a long burst, which is unrealistic, was pulling my frame rate down into the mid teens because of the number of sub-models being generated. I ended up adding throttling to the animation code so that the new animations are progressively disabled if the frame rate drops too low so that this would be OK on mid and low end hardware. It starts to throttle at 30FPS and has all of the new animations turned off by 25FPS. As a result users with lower end hardware will never see these new animations and those with higher end hardware will see them as long as they are doing shorter bursts (under 2 seconds).

Personally I could care less about the airliners as IMO these are simply flying buses. But what ever floats your boat.

I don't think vram is an issue if you have at least 2GB. I monitor my hardware utilization and I have never seen vram use go above 2GB while running FG and it seldom goes much above 1GB. I got the 4GB card because it was only a few dollars more than the 2GB version so I went "what the hell - it might be slightly more future proof - why not". But I knew at the time that it was more card memory wise than I needed for FG.

Disabling ALS and Rembrandt will significantly reduce GPU loads and IMO doing this is significantly below being maxed out. Rembrandt is also significantly heavier than ALS which is heavier than default. I have never been happy with the frame rates using Rembrandt even with high end hardware but ALS runs very nicely on my system and I think it is visually a significant upgrade compared to default.
hvengel
Retired

Postby Philosopher » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 am

Btw: ALS cannot be enabled at the same time as Rembrandt ^^
Philosopher

Return to Graphics